PDA

View Full Version : Synergy: Inter-Forum Thread views

Apokalupsis
May 19th, 2007, 08:54 PM
This latest feature is a pretty interesting one. It will drive traffic to ODN with your participation. It will also allow you to check out interesting threads from other communities who have implemented this software technology. Think of it as being connected to a network. ;)

How it works...

Whenever you see a thread that you believe is particularly interesting (we have tons of those here at ODN IMO), click the http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/images/zoints_synergy.png button found in the first post of the thread (it's under the originating poster's avatar, next to their other icons). Then, offer a description of the thread. This will be displayed on hundreds of participating forums, found in their Synergy Forum (ours is located in our General Forum area).

It then sends that thread to a submission queue where it will be reviewed by staff to ensure it is legit (vs a random thread that someone nominated just for kicks). When it is approved, it goes out to every forum who uses this system (there are hundreds!). Then, people all over the net who use this system can vote (basically rate it with approval). The more votes it has, the higher ranking it gets, and when a thread gets on Synergy's front page, tons of traffic to ODN will be seen as a result.

It's a way of bringing communities together and share traffic. If you find a thread particularly interesting while browsing in Synergy (again, see the new Synergy Forum in the General Forums area), vote for it (especially if it is an ODN thread!!). The more people who participate in this the better.

It may even give you ideas to new discussions here at ODN. ;)

Mr. Hyde
May 19th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cool.

starcreator
May 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Great idea. Easy way to bring traffic around to ODN, if we use it right.

Xanadu Moo
May 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
I like it. Who are we trying to attract? Everybody? Or just a certain sector? I think ODN is specialized enough that we don't want it to be overrun by lots of teenagers or people who can't put two coherent thoughts together in one post. I think this is another reason we'll need to crack down on trolls more. If Gaius is given so much latitude, imagine what would happen with a dozen of them roaming free all at the same time. ODN would become a madhouse, and we'd have to weed through many posts just to find substantive ones. The ignore feature would become the norm, and having someone off ignore would be the exception. Yikes!

However, I do like the Synergy Forum idea in principle. It's got real pastabilities...