PDA

View Full Version : Showdown.

Mr. Hyde
June 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Born of black and white. Eaten with worms, I'm a Saint, a Sinner, a Siren of the Word, The Circle knows me, the rest just wanna trip on Grace Juice, baby. Showdown at Midnight.

These are the words that line the silouette of the enigmatic, "Marsuvees Black" on the cover of TED DEKkER's SHOWDOWN.

The book itself is about a town called Paradise in Colarado, a Monestary where orphans are being trained in the art of Virtue by the world's leading theologians, and about a monk from the Nevada desert that's either sent by God or straight from Hell.

Told in Third Person limited, and past tense, Dekker weaves a religious tale from the eyes of no less than ten different main characters, and a score of side characters to illustrate the illuminating and intellectually inticing tale that falls between the front and back cover of what I believe is an absolute MUST READ for anyone and everyone.

The ideals placed in the story surrounding the issue of Good and Evil, Love and Hate, isolation and interaction, curiousity, human nature and limitations (if there should be any) are well written and gripping to a T.

Top it off, Dekker confronts certain religious notions (Christianity to be specific) from an angle that leaves the reader wanting, not only more in writing, but more in practice.

A basic summary (with no spoilers) is as follows:

Harvard University is sponsoring a project to determine the power of Faith. This project involves isolating 37 orphans from around the world in a Monestary in the Colorado mountains from near birth until their teenage years. These students will not, at any time, leave the monestary, and will be taught by the world's leading Theologians, with a strong emphasis placed on Christians values with ZERO religious dogma (no church practices or teachings, JUST Christ's message). THey will then be turned out into the world, and see what happens.

Marsuvees Black, the mysterious monk from Nevada, is brought out of his three year isolation in the desert to help teach at the school, but when he saunters into Paradise a year later with a message for the town people that's full of "Grace and Hope" things begin to go awry and spiral towards an epic confrontation of Good and Evil on a Biblical Scale in the valley town hidden from the world.

One thought I have after reading it, is that the martyrdom of Christ is a LOT more understandable, as is God's position in the issue. Atheist and Theist alike, the book is a slap down drag out bare knuckle beat your mind inside out and love it froggy style thriller that has me wanting to hit up Amazon and snatch more of his books.

6 out of 5.