PDA

View Full Version : Fun Books!

Turtleflipper
June 12th, 2007, 10:57 PM
These are novels that just amused you!

I always liked Golden Globe, because of it's seemingly irrelevant in a series of books that last installment of which ended with an armada coming to kill humanity. In this book, for no reason I can imagine, we follow an outlaw child star as he travels from Pluto to the Moon, the Earth's already having been occupied by Invaders (those who's fleeting is coming to finish off the rest of the humans in the solar system). It's stupid and fun.

ENGAGE IN DISCUSSIONS!

Jamie
June 12th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I love the Phantom Tollbooth and the Redwall series as my fun books. Which is unusual cause I don't really dig fantasy books.

Vargo
June 13th, 2007, 04:53 AM
The whole discworld series by Terry Pratchett. I have read the each at least three times. Also The Song of Ice and Fire Trilogy(now four books, the author has said he plans seven) by George R R Martin, this guy is hard to predict where he is going. He is not afraid to kill off anyone! The Black Company Books by Glen Cook and his fantasy detective series The Garret Files.

Thanks to Slip for turning me onto Terry Pratchett and the Garret Files many years ago. I still hate him for telling me to watch Naked Lunch though!!!

Also, If anyone has read The Song of Ice and Fire books, I would like to know your thoughts on who will take the crown!! I have my ideas, but like I said, leading characters are not safe from the pen!!

catch22
June 14th, 2007, 11:38 AM
the Redwall series

I've read every single one. :)

Slipnish
June 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series with the exception of, not the latest, but the previous two books.

Vampires, werewolves, necromancers, witches, and zombies. Combine that with a bunch of love interests, touchy male and female egos, and it's a hella good supernatural romp...

The Garrett books are funny as well. A private investigator in a fantasy setting... It's pretty well done, over all.

Does ANYONE read Anita Blake here? Sheesh...

CliveStaples
June 14th, 2007, 02:09 PM
David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series are both pretty good.

For a fun read, I enjoyed the Zombie Survival Guide. Good stuff.

Turtleflipper
June 16th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I'm reading the Darkover series, which is space-age high fantasy (it's got a grounding in science so I can ignore the wizardry and enjoy).
It's quite amusing, absent-minded fun. I always enjoy this women's writing, it is a shame she's dead.

Jamie
June 16th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Catch, I haven't read them all and to be perfectly honest I haven't touched the series since I was in 8th grade. But to this day it was one of my more favorite reads.

Trendem
June 16th, 2007, 11:31 PM
For mindless entertainment, read Dan Brown's books. He doesn't waste time with characterisation, atmosphere or literary flair - it's action all the way. :afro:

Slipnish
June 17th, 2007, 06:59 PM
For mindless entertainment, read Dan Brown's books. He doesn't waste time with characterisation, atmosphere or literary flair - it's action all the way. :afro:

I was gonna ask you what he wrote, and then I realized the power of Google... Go me!

southernbelle
June 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Daisy Faye and The Miracle Man....by Fannie Flagg. It's more of a girly book, and I haven't read it since high school, but, it was a riot. Made me laugh SO hard. The author wrote Fried Green Tomatos, too.

I keep eying these books written by a local club......The Sweet Potato Queens...just haven't picked one up yet. One particularly looks good...
The Sweet Potato Queens Big A#@ Financial Planner......or Let's hope Daddy never dies. Even the title is funny.