PDA

View Full Version : Todos del parte tres en el libro "1984"

Meng Bomin
June 26th, 2004, 05:34 AM
It appears that the Book Club has been abandoned, but that won't stop me from making this post.

While in Spain I read the reamining Chapters in the book and found them to be quite depressing. To sum up the events: Winston and Julia are captured in Mr. Charrington's house by the Thought Police and it turns out that Mr. Charrington is a member of the Thought Police. Winston is sent to the Ministry of love where he is put in a cell with a bunch of other prisoners. The cells are white and there is a constant light in them, making it impossible to discern night from day. He is then beat up numerous times in order to draw confessions and then, his torture falls in the hands of O'Brian, who was really a loyal Party member. He confessed even more and was sent into a state of uncertainty. One day O'Brian lets him look at himself and he is like a living skeleton. He is then allowed more meals and becomes healthy again. During all of this treatment, he falls more and more back into party thinking after being pounded by O'Brian, who seems to have done this sort of thing before. One day when walking along, he blurts out his desire for Julia and is sent to room 101 which contains everyones greatest fear, in his case, rats. When they send the rats on him he begs them to do it to Julia, thus betraying her. He is sent into society and is almost a regular party member, except he still hates Big Brother. When he hears the news of a battle and how Oceania was victorious, he loves Big Brother and is shot in the head.

Any comments?

FruitandNut
June 26th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Orwell was a pessimist, 1984 reflected his time and his experience. He saw that capitalism was, in its own way, also about power and its excesses and abuses. He felt that the 'proliteriat' were in effect, between a rock and a hard place.

Meng Bomin
June 27th, 2004, 10:45 AM
That seems like a pretty accurate assessment. I would definitely agree that he is a pessamist, both by the world he created in the book, and the tone he gave to it. I would say that such a world would be virtually impossible to create and probably as difficult to maintain, dispite what he shows through the book. He does see the proliteriat as helpless and I think that he is very suspicious of leadership and the upper-classes as well.

FruitandNut
June 27th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Orwell seemed to view power, beyond a certain level, as being corrosive to the human spirit and intellect.