PDA

View Full Version : The Film: Farenheit 911

Apokalupsis
June 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Not the "trailer", we already have a thread for that. I'm interested in hearing the opinions of those who have actually SEEN the film itself since its release yesterday.

I know at least Booger has seen it, and I may see it this coming week. If you have seen it, what was your take on it?

Was it "fair"? Was it factual? Was the spin (that I don't think anyone could deny exists) over the top or just right to illustrate important points?

I personally dislike Moore's position on just about anything. But honestly, I do enjoy his films. I personally consider his films to be over the top with radical agenda, but there is no denying that he does have the skill and the ability to piece together a documentary that holds your attention and creates great debate amongst those who have seen his films. Those who see his films either love them or hate them.

So, how does F911 compare to his other films? Did it change your position on anything? Did it solidify your position?

tinkerbell
June 26th, 2004, 11:48 AM
I saw it last night at the 10pm showing.They opened up an additional stadium seeting screen due to large turn out and demand.I was surprised at the amount of teenagers(R rating didn't seem to matter,they let them in w/out adults) and senior citizens(esp at 10pm) that turned out.
The film wasn't as cutesy as "Bowling", but still had typical Moore humor. There were only a few contradictions I saw (without giving too much away) and I didn't find them extreme. He did attempt to make Iraq out to look as fun and friendly as Disney Pre 3/19..So I already know who on the list this will tink off (wink wink KB)Some of the comments were a little over the top, and once you see it, you will know which ones I am talking about.

I wish he had focused more on the Patriot Act and the lack of support we have globally for this war.

The movie starts out with the election, (following "Stupid White Men" book comments)and follows with a very expectable timetable of events.

Some of the scenes are pretty graphic, and being a mother I just couldn't bring myself to watch a few.Lots of tissue used and weeping in the audience (Kinda like The Passion...Smirk)

The best part of the movie, IMO was the documenting of the fear the media and government pumped up after 9/11, stating the US was in "imminent danger", but how defense/funding/security reacted in ways that prove they felt or knew otherwise.(kinda like Bowling)
Also shows clearly what is wrong or "off" with this war and reasons for going into it. How Americans have been told less than half truths and bullied or scared senseless into supporting it.

Overall I thought it was a pretty powerful film.I WISH I could believe Moore was just totally crazy and completely off.I will admit he can be a little extreme at times, and underplay certain key or important events, but I don't think he's too off on this one.

Booger
June 26th, 2004, 11:49 AM
See my review in the new thread, "Boog's review on Fahrenheit 9/11." Perhaps we should combine these threads, with my review following your initial post. I ain't got the skillz to do that though...

Booger
June 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Tink, our reviews of the film are quite similar (funny how great minds think alike ;) ). One thing I want to clarify, however, is the statement:

He did attempt to make Iraq out to look as fun and friendly as Disney Pre 3/19..So I already know who on the list this will tink off (wink wink KB).

True, Moore shows images of a lively Iraq (e.g., a wedding, kids on a ferris wheel, etc.) prior to the US invasion and one may be left with the impression that Moore was trying to say that Iraq was better off with Saddam. I don't think that's correct. What he was trying to do, IMO, was to foreshadow the loss soon to be suffered by ordinary Iraqis who had nothing to do with Saddam's regime or terrorism; they were just like you and me prior to their homes being demolished and relatives killed in scores.

Overall I thought it was a pretty powerful film.I WISH I could believe Moore was just totally crazy and completely off.I will admit he can be a little extreme at times, and underplay certain key or important events, but I don't think he's too off on this one.

I think this will be the overwhelming sentiment about this film.

Booger
June 26th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I think the RNC is probably going crazy right now. Early projections show F-911 beating all the movies at the box office on Friday, including the major Hollywood new releases (something FoxNews opined would never happen :lol:).

From Moore's website, here is an e-mail he received from Mobile, Ala (for those of you who think this will be a movie only received in big cities or liberal confines):

Mobile:
"When I learned that Fahrenheit 9/11 would be screened in my small hometown of Mobile, AL I was surprised, but happy. I decided that I'd catch the 3:45 matinee, both because I'm broke and wanted to save some cash, but also because I thought I could beat whatever crowds there might be. My mom and I arrived at the theater about 15 minutes before the previews started, and I was flummoxed to find a nearly-full theater. Granted, it's a small theater, but it's a small town, too. There were probably around 150 people there--an amazing crowd considering that the film was being shown simultaneously on two screens in the same small multiplex. And this, of course, for a matinee on a Friday afternoon. I can't even imagine what the scene was like tonight. And once we were settled in, people kept coming, and coming, and coming. We gave up the seat between us. Then we moved further in. The people kept coming, and by the time the previews were over, only the neckache seats were free. This being south Alabama, where even the liberals are conservative, there were a lot of laughs but no cheering or clapping during the movie -- that's about par for any movie seen here. But I heard something I have NEVER heard at a movie in Mobile before, including all the "Lord of the Rings" movies -- applause. Giant, cheerful applause as the credits began to roll for a film that I was just SURE I'd have the theater to myself for."--M.T.

For more responses from across America, see: http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/latestnews/breakingnews/index.php?id=32

People in line in Portland, Maine for the early afternoon showing today:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/_media/images/mikes_log_photos/81.jpg

tinkerbell
June 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM
True, Moore shows images of a lively Iraq (e.g., a wedding, kids on a ferris wheel, etc.) prior to the US invasion and one may be left with the impression that Moore was trying to say that Iraq was better off with Saddam. I don't think that's correct. What he was trying to do, IMO, was to foreshadow the loss soon to be suffered by ordinary Iraqis who had nothing to do with Saddam's regime or terrorism; they were just like you and me prior to their homes being demolished and relatives killed in scores.

I think this will be the overwhelming sentiment about this film.

I think that's is ignorant for the average American to assume what Iraquis want or need.Or to blame them for anger when we are there "to help them."
Of course I think they are better off with Sadam out.I want nothing more than a world of peace.Media has just painted such a peachy picture of "we are good, they are bad", it's sickening.We act like the majority are so barbaric that we don't consider their pain,esp when we have any blame in it. We might feel different if it were our soil,homes and innocent that were killed..even if by accident.Look how angry we got after 9/11.Many Americans became blood thirsty & hostile. I think we need to see the ugly side of war.We do our Vets and humanity a disservice if we close our eyes to the pain they see.
I feel so blessed, and am thankful to be an American, even if we are lead by a wanna be emperor.

I also agree with the foreshadowing of the soon loss of Iraquis.I just think it was a little glossy of a picture.

Booger
June 26th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Fahrenheit's $8 Million Night

Michael Moore's controversial "Fahrenheit 9/11" opened wide last night and took in a little over $8.2 million on 800 screens. It's now on track for a $24 million weekend, exceeding expectations according to predictions made by boxofficemojo.com

"F-9/11" was supposed to have been released by Miramax through Disney, which rejected the film. Ironically, if Disney had released it, the company would have had its first No. 1 hit in a year. [LOL!! Thanks for being such a wimp, Eisner, and bringing all this attention to the film. I love it!!]

Instead, "F-9/11" did about seven times the business that Disney's release "Around the World in 80 Days" did on Friday night and in 2,000 fewer theaters.

So far, the curiosity about "F-9/11" appears to be widepread. After opening in New York to sell-out audiences, the documentary sold out shows in places as diverse as St. Louis and Chicago.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,123752,00.html

Meng Bomin
June 26th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Ironically, if Disney had released it, the company would have had its first No. 1 hit in a year.
Actually, if Disney had released it, there wouldn't have been as much of a controversy over it and less people would have gone to see it.

Apokalupsis
June 26th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Does anyone think that this will affect the election later this year? Will this hurt Bush's support? Will those who are turned off of Bush due to this film, vote Kerry or not not vote at all?

KevinBrowning
June 26th, 2004, 07:31 PM
I plan on seeing it in the coming week also. I'm trying to find a day and time when most of my friends can go with me.

Meng Bomin
June 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Does anyone think that this will affect the election later this year? Will this hurt Bush's support? Will those who are turned off of Bush due to this film, vote Kerry or not not vote at all? Although I have not seen it for myself, I think that it may give cause to those who don't normally vote to vote for Kerry and perhaps also convince Nader voters. I think it is aiming for the swing voters and previous non-voters, rather than Bush voters.

Booger
June 27th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Can the RNC (Republican National Committee) say "cultural phenomenon"?:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/_images/home/f911-rrating.jpg

:p

mustang5
June 28th, 2004, 07:39 AM
"Fahrenheit 9/11" Is "The Passion of the Christ" for Liberals
June 25, 2004 | 2:45 p.m.

An interesting comparison of the movie liberals are flocking to see as if it were the Second Coming with one they avoided like a biblical plague: "Not since 'The Passion of the Christ,'" writes Washington Post reviewer Ann Hornaday, "has a movie from outside the Hollywood mainstream made a review so superfluous."

"By orchestrating a hype campaign every bit as finely tuned as Mel Gibson's," Ms. Hornaday goes on, "filmmaker Michael Moore has made 'Fahrenheit 9/11' required viewing, not just for the thousands of like-minded activists who have vowed to make the documentary a box office hit this weekend, but for anyone who wants to be culturally literate."

Forget that Gibson wasn't entirely responsible for the "hype campaign" that surrounded "The Passion of the Christ"--quite possibly, he wasn't the author of vicious rumors that he and his movie were anti-Semitic--the comparison of the two movies seems to have popped up in several articles.

It's an apt comparison. "Fahrenheit" is, like "The Passion," a rallying point for a certain segment of the population. In fact, I'd argue that "Fahrenheit 9/11" is "The Passion of the Christ" for liberals. But actually swallowing what "Fahrenheit" is peddling actually requires more faith than believing Mel's movie.

"To describe ['Farenheit 9/11'] as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability," Christopher Hitchens wrote in a justly-celebrated evisceration of the movie in Slate.

RTShatto
June 28th, 2004, 01:13 PM
http://www.michaelmoore.com/_images/home/f911-rrating.jpg

:pCouldnt they technicaly be fined for this?

Meng Bomin
June 28th, 2004, 02:09 PM
"Not since 'The Passion of the Christ,'" writes Washington Post reviewer Ann Hornaday, "has a movie from outside the Hollywood mainstream made a review so superfluous."
That was a funny thing to put in an article. "The Passion of the Christ" didn't come out that long ago...

mustang5
June 28th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Good point Neverending. They do sort of imply that it broke a long standing record.

I hope so RTShatto

FruitandNut
July 1st, 2004, 06:44 PM
For anyone to stereotype either the 'Passion of Christ' or 'F - 9 11' is to ensure that significant numbers of both audiences overlook meanings and points and 'chuck the baby out with the bath water'. It also means that other will miss a viewing on account of their built in prejudices.

Fyshhed
July 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM
It wasn't an R-rating designed to scare away the immature viewers. The film was intended to be a maturing device for people who did not know the details behind the story. Keep in mind that radical liberals who own theatres will be willing to bend the rules. In this case I don't think it was a bad idea because the documentary is meant to inform, and just because they show gruesome and tragic pictures and have a soldier singing "let the mother---er burn" doesnt mean people arent mature enough to see it.

As I said in the other thread, my local theatres did not show it for whatever reason, and I had to download it. I think it was a pretty well-done movie. Slanted of course, but certainly not blatant lies. A lot of conservatives are going to attack this movie with great Passion. Take a look at the upcoming "Michael Moore hates America" film. If my country was the same as it was displayed in f911 I would hate it too. The government at least. Oh well. The truth can be sad and frightening to have to believe in many subjects, and I think this is one of them.

KevinBrowning
July 7th, 2004, 01:50 PM
I don't see why anyone contests the R rating. It has pictures of mutilated children. Liberal theater managers disregarded the rating, though, so underage viewers could see it and be further indoctrinated against Bush.

Booger
July 7th, 2004, 02:52 PM
I don't see why anyone contests the R rating. It has pictures of mutilated children. Liberal theater managers disregarded the rating, though, so underage viewers could see it and be further indoctrinated against Bush.

I think Moore would agree with you with a slight twist...the R rating was to prevent underage viewers from seeing it and being further indoctrinated against Bush, not because of the film. IMO, the R rating for this film is way off base...much worse has been shown on cable news networks.

BTW, your avatar looks like some kind of white power symbol. What does it mean?

KevinBrowning
July 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
I think Moore would agree with you with a slight twist...the R rating was to prevent underage viewers from seeing it and being further indoctrinated against Bush, not because of the film. IMO, the R rating for this film is way off base...much worse has been shown on cable news networks.

Ha, it's not a white power symbol, but I see how one might think that. It's actually an ancient Christian symbol which Apok was kind enough to customize for me. http://home.att.net/~wegast/symbols/chirho/chirho.htm

Booger
July 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Ha, it's not a white power symbol, but I see how one might think that. It's actually an ancient Christian symbol which Apok was kind enough to customize for me. http://home.att.net/~wegast/symbols/chirho/chirho.htm

The Chi Rho. Sounds like a fraternity name...maybe you can start one at the Incarnate Word?

Fyshhed
July 7th, 2004, 07:30 PM
The Chi Rho. Sounds like a fraternity name...maybe you can start one at the Incarnate Word?

Rhymes with Cairo. It's a secret E-Jipchin symbol for white power. :evil:

tinkerbell
July 8th, 2004, 06:21 AM

I thought the same thing when I saw it (hee hee)
Although your new avatar has me running to tinkle..Too cute.
:D

KevinBrowning
July 8th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I don't plan on getting involved with any fraternities. They were probably worthwhile once, but now they seem to just be drinking clubs.

Apokalupsis
August 4th, 2004, 05:31 PM
A great explanation of how F911 is pure propaganda and shouldn't be taken seriously (despite the claims of the Moore-ohns ;) ): http://www.workingpsychology.com/download_folder/Propaganda_And_Fahrenheit.pdf

Written by Kelton Rhoads, Ph.D.