PDA

View Full Version : 1984: Part 3: Pain

KneeLess
July 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
As seen in the first and second chapters, pain is used extensively. The pain they endure in 101, the beatings, the hours of interrigation and the starvation break the human soul to the point where it shatters. They confess to anything and everything. One man even says,

'Do anything to me!' he yelled. 'You've been starving me for weeks. Finish it off and let me die. Shoot me. Hang me. Sentence me to twenty-five years. Is there somebody else you want me to give away? Just say who it is and I'll tell you anything you want. I don't care who it is or what you do to them. I've got a wife and three children. The biggest of them isn't six years old. You can take the whole lot of them and cut their throats in front of my eyes, and I'll stand by and watch it. But not Room 101!'
I believe that this proves that the greatest pain is physical (in addtion to on the surface emotional pain, none of that deep stuff). If a grown man who loves his family and children wants his family to be killed so he doesn't have to endure any more pain, then we obviously have a man who cannot take anymore.

FruitandNut
July 3rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
I believe it depends upon the individual 'strength of character' and sense of priorities, whether the physical or emotional pain have order of presidence.
There was a member of the French Resistance (regret I can't recall his name), interrogated and tortured by the Gestapo in Paris's notorious Frenes prison. His ability to absorb all kinds of 'treatment' became legendary among the Gestapo's best torturers, they took turns in trying to 'break' him. Indeed a professional 'pride' and competitive spirit developed in their determination to get him to divulge information. After long months of such treatment, one of the torturers overdid things in his keeness and our 'hero' expired.

I feel the key is whether or not the person has a sense of hope and/or purpose. If you feel totally hopeless and purposeless, then it must be truly hard to resist.

KneeLess
July 3rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
I believe if the Gestapo had Room 101, your French hero might break. And of course, I am talking of our normal population, not the masochists. ;)

FruitandNut
July 3rd, 2004, 09:39 PM
Is it possible for Room 101 to be everyones'Hell?

KneeLess
July 4th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Yes. Personally, I can't imagine my biggest fear, so my 101, I don't know what it would be. But yes, it's the worst thing imaginable for everyone. Times 10.

FruitandNut
July 5th, 2004, 12:02 AM
I think the cracking point for the bravest might only come if they succumb to feelings of total hopelessness and helplessess, if they are strong enough to put up mental 'firewalls' (mind games), then they may be shielded from any psychological implosion.