PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for our next book.

KevinBrowning
July 6th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I'd like to hear your suggestions for the next book we're going to discuss. This is just brainstorming, we'll do a formal nomination and vote a bit later, if that's ok with everyone.

tinkerbell
July 8th, 2004, 07:03 PM
"Anna Karenina" By, Leo Tolstoy
ABOUT THIS BOOK
Considered by some to be the greatest novel ever written, Anna Karenina is Tolstoy's classic tale of love and adultery set against the backdrop of high society in Moscow and Saint Petersburg. A rich and complex masterpiece, the novel charts the disastrous course of a love affair between Anna, a beautiful married woman, and Count Vronsky, a wealthy army officer. Tolstoy seamlessly weaves together the lives of dozens of characters, and in doing so captures a breathtaking tapestry of late-nineteenth-century Russian society.

It's been on my "to read" list and Oprah actually covered it this month for her book club..

Or how about
Jack London: The call of the wild

Richard Adams: Watership down

Shirley Hazzard: The Great Fire

Fyodor Dostoevsky:The Brothers Karamazov

or

Dickens:The Mystery of Edwin Drood

KneeLess
July 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Maybe it's not for everyone, but a few of my friends have been talking about Invisible Monsters (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393319296/ref=pd_sim_books_2/102-4972854-8720962?v=glance&s=books) by Chuck Palahniuk (the same guy who wrote Fight Club). It's supposed to be funny, disturbing, and insightful all at once.

My only qualm with Anna Karenina, Tinkerbell, is the fact that I can't grasp the Russian style names very well, and I have a hard time remembering who is who. And it's a slow start. :)

KevinBrowning
July 8th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Good suggestions, guys. Books translated from 19th-century Russian can be a bit slow in the beginning, I'll agree with that Kneeless. But I've wanted to read Anna Karenina for a while. At least, I've been curious about it. As for Invisible Monsters, it certainly sounds interesting, but it might be a bit too dark and creepy for some members' tastes. Good possibility, though. Anyone else?

tinkerbell
July 8th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Maybe it's not for everyone, but a few of my friends have been talking about Invisible Monsters (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393319296/ref=pd_sim_books_2/102-4972854-8720962?v=glance&s=books) by Chuck Palahniuk (the same guy who wrote Fight Club). It's supposed to be funny, disturbing, and insightful all at once.

My only qualm with Anna Karenina, Tinkerbell, is the fact that I can't grasp the Russian style names very well, and I have a hard time remembering who is who. And it's a slow start. :)

I had the same problem with the bible..SO I gave everyone Nicknames...
Although Invisible Monsters sounds fun!

ShadowKnight
July 9th, 2004, 04:33 PM
no... let's do some Michael Crichton books o_0

or maybe star wars o_0

or maybe the Bible :)

Fyshhed
July 9th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow are two books about the same story from two different peoples' perspectives. I think they're two extremely interesting books as well, but if we read either of them we'd have to read them both.

chadn737
July 10th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Ender's Game was good, but all the following books just kept getting worse.

I would highely recommend Dune, in my opinion its a classic.

Fyshhed
July 10th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Ender's Game was good, but all the following books just kept getting worse.

I would highely recommend Dune, in my opinion its a classic.
I agree with the sequels to ender, though shadow was good. I wouldn't mind Dune either, I have a copy of that kicking around that I haven't read far into.

KneeLess
July 10th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I'm not really into scifi...some more thoughts to consider:

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

KevinBrowning
July 10th, 2004, 10:03 PM
We've had some very interesting suggestions so far. Everything from religious texts to romance novels. I think we've brainstormed enough. I don't want to suggest anything, because as the BC leader, if I suggest something and then we read that book, I might be accused of throwing my weight around. I'm going to start an official nomination thread, with rules much like the nominations for DoM. This is my first time to officiate this process, so please be patient and bear with me. Let the nominations begin.