PDA

View Full Version : Medicaid Causes New Dilemma In Treating Illegals

Scarlett44
September 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
In 2001, the Federal gov't. issued new guidelines stating that dialysis and chemotherapy treatments for illegal immigrants would no longer be covered by Medicaid or Medicare. These would now be considered chronic conditions , and not emergencies.

Federal law mandates treatment for life-threatening emergencies.

Since then, the CMS (Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services)
have been conducting a state-by-state audit of Medicaid emergency payments, and has declared that Medicaid will no longer approve reimbursement for illegal immigrants' chemotherapy.

Doctors are saying that this action by Medicaid puts them in a very difficult positon, since Medicaid will still cover chemotherapy treatment for an American citizen.

Who will now pay for the illegals' chemo treatment?

Some think that the individual state governments will absorb the cost, but no one knows for sure. It appears that some hospitals will just have to take a loss.

In any case, doctors will have to make some difficult decisions in America's emergency rooms.

Squatch347
September 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
But it isn't an emergency, its preventative treatment. I was under the impression that emergency meant, "if I don't do something right now, he will die very shortly". It becomes an emergency when the patient is on the verge of dieing. I also don't really like the idea of caring for people who have broken our laws to take advantage of our system.

Scarlett44
September 25th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Here's a link to the story if anyone's interested:

Cancer ruling heats up immigration debate - Cancer - MSNBC.com (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/20960364)

MindTrap028
September 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM
wow.. a classic case of Compassion VS reality.
America is very Compassionate, and would love to take care of everyones problems.
However, the reality of the situation is, we can't pay for everyones health care.

What I do see is a great opportunity for Churches to stand up and help the Poor, and needy.

P.S. I also don't like foreign invaders stealing from me.

BrokenPhantom
September 29th, 2007, 03:29 PM
How christian of you.

MindTrap028
September 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
How christian of you.
Well, I guess it is also a great opportunity for Atheists to spread there belief in the uselessness of religion. However, I was going to leave it to them to declare.