PDA

View Full Version : Text available

Xanadu Moo
October 5th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Is it doable to get a text dump of all the posts I've done for the past year or so? I would be willing to pay for it. I like to go back and look at the arguments I've made, and try to organize them and maintain a consistency, or see if there are areas where I should make modifications. And I like to look back to see if my arguments are getting more succinct or sloppier.

If that's not doable, what's the next best solution?

Snoop
October 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM
what's the next best solution?Save them as you go from now on.

Apokalupsis
October 5th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I don't know of a way, w/o messing w/ the db directly, which I'm not too excited to have to do. I've asked the tech guys at vb.com to see if they know of any other alternatives.

In the meantime...I've increased the search results by 5x. It used to display only 100 hits, now it will display 500. Anything over this will affect the server load so I don't want to push it.

You'll have to go to the Advanced Search, type in your name as the author of posts, and hit search. It will display the last 500 entries you've made. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to download them all into .txt format, I've asked, I'll let ya know when I find out.

To find the rest of your posts...go to the last page of your initial search. Look at the date of the last entry, use that as your ending point, use a starting point of about 6 months or so before that. That will give you all the results in that time period. Keep doing that until you get to your first post...or, you can start from your first post and go the other direction as well (still using time windows).

Will take a while of course, but until I find out otherwise, this is the only way to do it.

Xanadu Moo
October 5th, 2007, 03:33 PM
All right, thanks for checking, Apok.

Save them as you go from now on.
You're just too practical, Snoop. I always do hit copy before submitting. Do you also have a wayback machine where I can apply this preemptively?