PDA

View Full Version : Book Club Voting Thread.

KevinBrowning
July 13th, 2004, 11:27 AM
We have three nominated books, so we are now ready to vote on them. I plan on leaving the poll open for three or four days. Please vote, everyone!

tinkerbell
July 13th, 2004, 08:21 PM
I voted for The Catcher, even though I have read in several times, because it is one of those must read books..And for anyone that has not read it..you should.

However Ender's Game sounds really neato, and I would love to read it.I hope we get to both..

ShadowKnight
July 13th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I voted for Ender's Game, i heard it's awesome.

KevinBrowning
July 13th, 2004, 08:43 PM
I voted for The Catcher, even though I have read in several times, because it is one of those must read books..And for anyone that has not read it..you should.

However Ender's Game sounds really neato, and I would love to read it.I hope we get to both..

I think we will eventually read both, because the vote is split in half right now. They both are great books, it sounds like. I think Dune is as well, but no one is voting for it as of yet.

Demosthenes
July 14th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Eventually, we should even read Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets.

Fyshhed
July 14th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Eventually, we should even read Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, Ender's Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, and Shadow Puppets.
Did you name your account after Val? ;)

Demosthenes
July 14th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Did you name your account after Val? ;)

Yeah, but Peter is a bigger influence to me.

Fyshhed
July 14th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Yeah, but Peter is a bigger influence to me.
Ditto, but no spoiling the fun :p

KevinBrowning
July 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM
I'm not sure what you two are talking about, but I certainly think we can get to some of those books, Dem. Hopefully future elections will go faster. I'll probably only set it for one or two days next time.

KneeLess
July 15th, 2004, 08:39 AM
What happens if there is a tie?

FruitandNut
July 15th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Flip a coin, I'll trust you.

Demosthenes
July 15th, 2004, 10:20 AM
We need to have someone not taking part in the discussions flip a coin.

KevinBrowning
July 15th, 2004, 10:51 AM
What happens if there is a tie?
It sounds okay to me to have a non-member flip a coin. I am not really being strict about requiring that all voters be members at the time they cast their vote, because Apok had not yet given me group membership authorization power when the vote began. If those who had outstanding requests to join have not noticed, I approved all five of you. Sorry about the wait.

Demosthenes
July 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM
So what are the final results?

KevinBrowning
July 16th, 2004, 11:23 AM
So what are the final results?

I'm not entirely sure how to handle a tie. If you guys were serious about having someone flip a coin, that's fine. I'm not quite sure how else we'd decide it fairly.

Demosthenes
July 16th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Ok, so lets have somebody flip. Heads is Ender's Game, tails Catcher in the Rye.

KneeLess
July 16th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Personally, I think the club leader should cast the deciding vote. I believe that's one reason he exists.

Demosthenes
July 16th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Ok that will work too.

Fyshhed
July 16th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Have you voted kb?

HappyLady
July 16th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Have you voted kb?

If you click on the poll up there, you can see who voted for what. KB already voted for Ender's Game, which without his vote, would have only given Ender's 3 votes. So, it wouldn't work for him to be the one who decides, since that would mean he'd get two votes instead of just one.

So...who's flippin' that coin?

FruitandNut
July 17th, 2004, 01:03 AM
What happens if it lands on its edge? Its not impossible, saw it happen once a long time ago - yes, I was sober at the time as well.

Anywien
July 17th, 2004, 03:32 AM
If I got here in time I would have gone for Ender's Game.

Demosthenes
July 17th, 2004, 08:55 AM
So its too late for a new member to vote?

Fyshhed
July 17th, 2004, 01:00 PM
KB's decision on whether or not that counts.

Demosthenes
July 17th, 2004, 01:12 PM
A nonmember flipped a coin it came up heads for enders game. Look at the shout box. But ur right ultimately kb's decision about new members.

FruitandNut
July 17th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I guess rules have to be made and lines drawn in the sand. Its just a pity that some people just miss out as a result. Still, I haven't read 'Ender's Game', I am going to have to check with my bookstore that it is available this side of the Pond. If not, I should be able to sort something via the Web.

Dionysus
July 23rd, 2004, 04:49 AM
I think we will eventually read both, because the vote is split in half right now. They both are great books, it sounds like. I think Dune is as well, but no one is voting for it as of yet.

That's the second time this week I've heard what a good book Dune is. I guess I should crack that sucker open, eh?