PDA

View Full Version : To young to drink :(

Withnail
July 13th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Under-age drinking was a big concern of mine while I was under-age, but now It's not as pressing.
I wanted to call this thread "At what age should KevinBrowing be able to have his first sip of alcohol", but I didn't think that would be fair to Kevin, and there were too many letters to fit in the thread title. Plus I forgot about Communion.

I had thought that 21 was unfair. The idea we had was to be able to drink upon high school graduation. A special emblem on your i.d.
Extra incentive to graduate.

I'm not sure how this would effect American binge drinking, but I do believe that some of the allure is it being off limits. I think that drinking in moderation with family members is better than drinking for the first time with a crowd of hooligans.

A side question. What is the best drink to imbibe in while playing RISK?

tinkerbell
July 13th, 2004, 07:47 PM
HUH? I think you may have been anyway..

Anywien
July 13th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I don't get this.

tinkerbell
July 13th, 2004, 07:50 PM
I think he is fixing it..Or he's drunk...AGAIN :mad: :p

KevinBrowning
July 13th, 2004, 07:51 PM
I am old enough to fight in the Middle East and smoke a cigarette, but not to sit at home and drink a margarita. That is the only alcoholic drink I like. Beer is not tasty at all.

tinkerbell
July 13th, 2004, 07:52 PM
I am old enough to fight in the Middle East and smoke a cigarette, but not to sit at home and drink a margarita. That is the only alcoholic drink I like. Beer is not tasty at all.

You are the Margarita type..
Beer/ale/Lager/stout is a perfect drink..It is refreshing

ShadowKnight
July 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM
beer sucks, smoking sucks, and drugs suck :)

Withnail
July 13th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Sucking Rox!!!

Sorry everyone, I hit post thread after I had only typed in the thread title. It then took me several minutes to type in the body of my post, whilst you all were replying to my thread title.

I am at fault.

Cheers!!

Anywien
July 13th, 2004, 07:57 PM
I'm not old enough to do anything legally but I'll do it anyway. Go the Vodka Cruisers.

KevinBrowning
July 13th, 2004, 08:00 PM
beer sucks, smoking sucks, and drugs suck :)

How eloquent. You have dumbfounded me with your uncanny mastery of the English language.

ShadowKnight
July 13th, 2004, 08:01 PM
i hoped you would like it ;)

tinkerbell
July 13th, 2004, 08:06 PM
well lets see...I was a bartender/bev cart girl/beer tub gal for years..
I once worked in a tavern where the customers were all Brits & German..They would sneak brews of for their children all the time and I was expected to look the other way.
My father is Italian and lived in France untill he was 10..I was given shot glasses of wine with dinner from time to time growing up..
I think Kev would be ok to have a drink..It's that forbidden rule that makes it soo tempting.After I turned 21, I didn't go out to eat for a year without ordering a drink, just because I could.On the other hand..Drinking really is something you have to learn how to do..I think that's why my father didn't deny a glass here and there.
I've also have seem my fair share of men, Kevin's age that totally can't handle it.I live close to Daytona Beach.Every Year some dumb 18 or 19 year old gets killed from abusing booze..Or ends up with Alcohol poisoning, which is why the age was raised to begin with,,It wasn't too long ago 18 year olds could drink..However I find it strange you have to be 19 to go into a sex toy store here in florida..I was outraged!!!I could fight for my country, but no toys (hee hee)

Fyshhed
July 14th, 2004, 07:09 AM
Drinking age in Europe is 16. When my French class in High school went to France, a bunch of us snuck off, got drunk, got lost, and decided not to do it again because the chaperones would have been furious if they had found out :evil:
They also condone nudity as a form of beautiful natural art.

Americans are just too stuck-up is all.

ShadowKnight
July 14th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Drinking age in Europe is 16. When my French class in High school went to France, a bunch of us snuck off, got drunk, got lost, and decided not to do it again because the chaperones would have been furious if they had found out :evil:
They also condone nudity as a form of beautiful natural art.

Americans are just too stuck-up is all.

the reason we have those laws here, is not because we are "stuck-up". It's for safety, considering that there are SO many accidents today because someone was intoxicated, i'll give you a link soon to show you how crazy it was.

HappyLady
July 14th, 2004, 10:17 AM
I started drinking in 7th grade...because it was cool. When I was in the 9th grade my sister and I were kicked out of a school dance because we were too intoxicated. I think she was bordering on alcohol poisoning. I was the coolest kid in school for the next week. But that was short-lived.

Ultimately, I think the reason alcohol use is so out of hand is because it is associated almost exclusively with "partying." But alcohol has always been a part of celebrations.

I think the reason kids are so eager to drink is because they want to "party". But if we could find a way to show that you can still party and have fun without getting fall-down drunk, we'd probably see less of a desire for it.

I have always been a dance club girl myself. I love to go out to a good dance club, drink, and dance my booty off. I used to just be a bar girl, too. I have found in the last couple years that I can drink water or soda and have just as much fun as if I drink Captain n Coke or Smirnoff Ice and Chambord. (mmmmm...). But why do we HAVE to have a drink in our hand at all?? It's pretty silly, really. Can't we just go sit in a bar and hang out. Get some munchies and a drink at some point, but then just shoot darts and pool and listen to music without a drink in our hand? It's kind of silly, really. I think all those years that I enjoyed drinking so much, it was really just the social atmosphere and the activity and not the alcohol. But I can't imagine people would flock to a bar or club for the nightlife if they were serving juice boxes and fountain colas.

tinkerbell
July 14th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Smirnoff Ice and Chambord. (mmmmm...)

we used to drink that but with Zima..sometimes we would add midori imstead..I bet Kev would love those

KevinBrowning
July 14th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Smirnoff Ice and Chambord. (mmmmm...)

we used to drink that but with Zima..sometimes we would add midori imstead..I bet Kev would love those
You seem to be hinting at something, Tink. Are you trying to convince me to drink underage?

HappyLady
July 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM
You seem to be hinting at something, Tink. Are you trying to convince me to drink underage?

We just want to get you buzzed so we can have our way with you, Kev. We'll smother you with Huggy Bears and Kissie faces. ;)

KevinBrowning
July 14th, 2004, 11:23 AM
We just want to get you buzzed so we can our way with you, Kev. We'll smother you with Huggy Bears and Kissie faces. ;)
Oh, the inhumanity. Not huggie bears, please, whatever you do.

ShadowKnight
July 14th, 2004, 11:24 AM
rofl... kevin, they are coming to seduce you.

KevinBrowning
July 14th, 2004, 11:25 AM
rofl... kevin, they are coming to seduce you.
Nah, they are happily married and live across the country. Or so they say.

CC
July 14th, 2004, 11:28 AM
I think drinking should be introduced to children by their parents. I know in my wife's family they allow even small children a sip of wine when they have a toast for something. I have a student who allows his 19 year old son to drink moderately when he is with him.
I was forced to drink beer by the time I was 12. I hated it!

Now I like an occassional beer for the taste. I don't get intoxicated. My grown children do not seem to care to drink much.

I believe if a parent shows sensible and usues a moderate approach to drinking then the children most likely well.

As for myself, all things in moderation......most of the time....*g*.....:O)

HappyLady
July 14th, 2004, 11:44 AM
I think drinking should be introduced to children by their parents.

I agree. My parents introduced it to me when I was 5. And they introduced me to pot and coke, too. ;)

Seriously, my parents had big parties and it made all that "stuff" look so cool. I loved the parties we had when I was a kid. While I never got into drugs much, since I saw how it ruined their lives, I still enjoy drinking.

But I think what I like best is just the parties in general. I used to love to play "drinking games," but it wasn't so much playing Beer Pong to drink the beer, but playing Beer Pong to get to try to throw the ping pong in the cup and win. It could have been Kool-Aid for all I care.

KevinBrowning
July 14th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I agree. My parents introduced it to me when I was 5. And they introduced me to pot and coke, too. ;)

Seriously, my parents had big parties and it made all that "stuff" look so cool. I loved the parties we had when I was a kid. While I never got into drugs much, since I saw how it ruined their lives, I still enjoy drinking.

But I think what I like best is just the parties in general. I used to love to play "drinking games," but it wasn't so much playing Beer Pong to drink the beer, but playing Beer Pong to get to try to throw the ping pong in the cup and win. It could have been Kool-Aid for all I care.
Your parents introduced you to cocaine?

tinkerbell
July 14th, 2004, 12:53 PM

Come on Kev! Just have a drink or 2 or 3 or... everybody is doing it..What, are you square? It will make you look soooo cool..The ladies like it :evil:

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT..just one little sip...COME ON MAN!! Take the BEER!! "They" are just trying to keep a man down,,

HappyLady
July 14th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Your parents introduced you to cocaine?

They didn't give it to me. But they did it right in front of me and so did their friends. They smoked pot right in front of me, too. I frequently inhaled the smoke. My sister got pretty sick sitting on my mom's lap once while she was passing a joint between her and friend.

FruitandNut
July 21st, 2004, 11:59 PM
Under-age drinking was a big concern of mine while I was under-age, but now It's not as pressing.
I wanted to call this thread "At what age should KevinBrowing be able to have his first sip of alcohol", but I didn't think that would be fair to Kevin, and there were too many letters to fit in the thread title. Plus I forgot about Communion.

I had thought that 21 was unfair. The idea we had was to be able to drink upon high school graduation. A special emblem on your i.d.
Extra incentive to graduate.

I'm not sure how this would effect American binge drinking, but I do believe that some of the allure is it being off limits. I think that drinking in moderation with family members is better than drinking for the first time with a crowd of hooligans.

A side question. What is the best drink to imbibe in while playing RISK?

Yes, I enjoyed that sip of Communion wine myself, usually a good Maderia type. We had to go without anything apart from water until after the service, if that was in the evening, it wasn't too much fun.

I believe that alcohol should not be viewed as a totally adults only 'mystery'. A small amount can be offered with an older child's meal, often if there is a soft drink alternative they will choose the soft drink. Youngsters should be educated gradually and naturally into accepting that alcohol has a useful part to play in social gatherings, but only if taken in moderation. They should become aware of the damage, health risks and down right stupidity of over indulgence, particularly on a regular basis.

'Binge drinking' has become a problem among teenagers and young adults in the UK, costing billions of ús a year in clearing up the social consequences.

ps. Happylady, I hope your septum is holding out, I wish you wellbeing, enlightenment and the mental will to sort things out for you.

mog
July 22nd, 2004, 04:29 AM
'Binge drinking' has become a problem among teenagers and young adults in the UK, costing billions of ús a year in clearing up the social consequences.

Well, if teenagers aspire to one day being able to successfully go the yard glass, they need to train pretty hard. :)

Atticus
July 22nd, 2004, 05:19 AM
They didn't give it to me. But they did it right in front of me and so did their friends. They smoked pot right in front of me, too. I frequently inhaled the smoke. My sister got pretty sick sitting on my mom's lap once while she was passing a joint between her and friend.

Before you jump on HappyLady's parents, Kev, you have to think of the time. I'm guessing, HappyLady's parents were doing this in the 60's or 70's. At that time, it was not acceptable but let's say less unacceptable. More people were doing that sort of thing. These days, you'd be calling child services.

Atticus
July 22nd, 2004, 05:26 AM
Underaged drinking is a touchy subject. Teenagers are different. They have different maturity levels. No, everyone is different in their maturity level. Someone who is 16 could be more mature than a 25 year old and yet the 25 year old can get behind the wheel and drink. Of course, they need to make statistical averages of the proper age to drink, drive, etc but not everyone fits the statistic. I have been told, and like to think of myself as more mature than most my age. I have never done drugs. I have never been drunk. I have never smoked. I don't plan on doing any of them. Having a couple beers while you're hanging out with friends on your back porch in summertime listening to Classic Rock radio and chatting about one of their sociopathic girlfriends isn't wrong.

I think cyberclown hit this issue on the ball. Parents should introduce alcohol to their children. But they have to make it not a big deal. They have to make alcohol into something that you don't abuse but can have if you know how to use it correctly. One or two light beers at 16 are not going to do damage to me. I know that walking down the street with a bottle of rum isn't the greatest idea and I know drinking and driving is utter insanity. You have to take out the desire to abuse alcohol and make it less taboo.