PDA

View Full Version : Love

KneeLess
July 15th, 2004, 07:32 PM
This is an interesting topic. I want to debate love. My point is that love is primally a subconscious desire to propegate the species or fulfill a sexual desire focused on one person, who is controlled by the conscious mind. If you think otherwise, please debate me, I insist. If it's okay, I'd like to make the opening position and defend my statement.

Fyshhed
July 15th, 2004, 09:39 PM
"Love is an acquired taste." -Me comparing love to drinking Moxie.

You can have lust at any moment, for any person, for any reason. That's biological. But love is the accompanying psychological attachment to an individual based on a personal desire to be with or accessible to said person.
It is, by all means, an acquired taste. You can learn to love almost anything. ;)

KneeLess
July 17th, 2004, 08:02 AM
Well my opinion on love is as follows. We can safety assume that one of our biological goals is propegation of the species. We can also surmise that the reason many animal couples stay together for life, for reasons of forwarding the species, loneliness and others. On a conscious level, love is the intense desire to be with someone for the rest of their own life. So, we can say on a subconscious level that love (the desire to be with someone for the rest of your mortal life), is a simple desire to propegate the species. But there's more to it than that...right?

Many people say you have no control over love, and I also affirm this phenomenon. We also have no control over our subconscious, and almost complete control over our conscious mind. Ergo, it holds to reason that the majority of the feeling 'love' must take place where we cannot control it, our subconscious. Why? I believe I've already disgressed this point, propegation of the species. But, why such intense desire? This is actually quite easy to explain. The more intense the desire, the less everything else matters. If forwarding of the species is your top priority, then the species might get a new child.

Okay, so what about heartbreak? Je pense que...it's because of the loneliness factor. This mate was perfect for you in every way, and now that you might never find another one so perfect to mate with, you become lonely.

It's quite easy once you get past the feelings. :)

Fyshhed
July 17th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Okay, so what about heartbreak? Je pense que...it's because of the loneliness factor. This mate was perfect for you in every way, and now that you might never find another one so perfect to mate with, you become lonely.

It's quite easy once you get past the feelings. :)

Easier said than done.
However, I agree mostly with your points. The psychological attachment comes from feeling comfortable and satisfied with the particular partner. Monogamy exists because it's reliable companionship and sex. It's also instinctive to be psychologically attached to one's children, protective and nurturing. Both parents have this attachment, so there's another reason to stick together.

As far as heartbreak is concerned, it's the reaction to the loss of previously stated reliable companionship/sex, and happens because you want to return to the more comfortable and satisfying conditions when you were with someone. However, since it's possible to "get over it" you can reattach to someone else and start over. Versatility and polygamy = propogation. Monogamy = propogation. Humanity wins. ;?

KneeLess
July 17th, 2004, 06:20 PM
As far as heartbreak is concerned, it's the reaction to the loss of previously stated reliable companionship/sex, and happens because you want to return to the more comfortable and satisfying conditions when you were with someone. Then why, do we not feel heartbreak for when "sex-only" relationships, or the like?

KneeLess
July 21st, 2004, 07:52 PM
You know what, this would be good to move into a more public domain.