PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble with new site!!

Withnail
July 27th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Withnail here.

I'm still having troubles accessing the site, and I have no clue why. Sometimes I get in, sometimes I get no site found.

I'm using IE and the graphics aren't loading either. I have lots of annoying red x boxes all over. I can see the avatars, but that seems to be it. It's making it stretch way out, and it's hard to browse.

This could all be because of something on my end, my server, or whatever. I'm just calling out for some help as this has become not nearly as enjoyable as it once was.

Bert is Frowning!

KevinBrowning
July 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM
I usually use Opera or Firefox, because IE is so prone to pop-ups and freezing. But at the office computer, which only has IE, I noticed what you did about the site being slow, at first only loading red X's for the graphics, but it worked eventually.

Apokalupsis
July 27th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Could be a number of things. I highly recommend using a differnet browser though: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Firefox is great. If you have troubles w/ that, let me know.

You may also want to try clearing your cookies and your cache in IE.

ShadowKnight
July 27th, 2004, 01:01 PM
firefox > all

KevinBrowning
July 27th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Firefox is great, but I think Opera is just as good. Also, Opera isn't a test version still, like Firefox, if any technophobics are worried about using an unfinished product. The main point is that IE is definitely the worst, as far as pop-ups and freezing and the like.

Withnail
July 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try a different browser.

Dionysus
July 28th, 2004, 07:26 AM
I just downloaded Firefox. It kicks much ass!

KevinBrowning
July 28th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys, I'll try a different browser.

Having any better luck?

Withnail
July 28th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Earlier today I downloaded Firefox, and it worked alright. A few hours later I could not access the site again, with either browser. That's still a mystery. Tonight, however, I'm in using IE and it looks perfect, with the Lemmy "Motorhead" style microphone stand ensignia. Thanks for the help.

RTShatto
July 29th, 2004, 12:09 AM
Im having a problem as well...though I can get on the site just fine, every now and then I find myself having to re-login to this website.

And yes I do have my cookies enabled (because im always logged in to all the other sites I frequent).

Its the same with the chess club as well.

Boggle?

KevinBrowning
July 29th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Im having a problem as well...though I can get on the site just fine, every now and then I find myself having to re-login to this website.

And yes I do have my cookies enabled (because im always logged in to all the other sites I frequent).

Its the same with the chess club as well.

Boggle?
Hmm. I'm having some problems with logging in as well. I can log in fine, but it doesn't recognize that I have until I go to another page.

Apokalupsis
July 29th, 2004, 03:17 PM
there are 2 places to login in. Front page and forum page. Try testing both a few times, and see if you get different results, or if it is the same.

Withnail
July 30th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Friday morning, I'm back in the site. The site was "not found" for me every time I checked yesterday again, however. I don't think it's a browser issue, as Firefox couldn't find the site either.

Due to relative internet ignorance, I just can't fathom what this could be. How could this effect mostly me, and not other users? Could it be my ISP? This is the only site I have such problems with. Could it be Apok's server side? I'm glad the new site's format is ironed out for me, but I'm still wrestling with this access problem.

Apokalupsis
July 30th, 2004, 08:14 AM
How are you accessing the site?

Withnail
July 30th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Home PC, RCN (ISP), cable modem.

Other than that, I'm accessing the site through the Miracle of Modern Technology. And when I can't access the site, it's due to the Curse of Modern Technology.

Apokalupsis
July 30th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Yeah, but when you try to access the site and FAIL, where are you? Do you have a firewall?

KevinBrowning
July 30th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Friday morning, I'm back in the site. The site was "not found" for me every time I checked yesterday again, however. I don't think it's a browser issue, as Firefox couldn't find the site either.

Due to relative internet ignorance, I just can't fathom what this could be. How could this effect mostly me, and not other users? Could it be my ISP? This is the only site I have such problems with. Could it be Apok's server side? I'm glad the new site's format is ironed out for me, but I'm still wrestling with this access problem.

It sounds like you have a firewall or something. I'm not sure what else would account for your troubles. Apok might have to fly over from California and fix it for you.