PDA

View Full Version : Bush vs Michael Moore: Who does the Military prefer? (Contains Expletives)

mholtum
August 9th, 2004, 12:43 PM
I came across this picture and quite frankly couldn't agree more. Being Former Army, with a son currently serving in the Army as well, I think this says alot. I think it is funny that a man such as Michael Moore, can create a movie based soley on personal opinion and biased "facts" and have so many people believe his "word". I believe that they believe him because they truely want to believe in what he says are facts.

Spartacus
August 9th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Can't make out the sign. What is written on it?

mholtum
August 9th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Can't make out the sign. What is written on it?
Click the thumbnail It will show the image.

3rdPersonPlural
August 9th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I see. Two foot soldiers with college pending, I trust, holding a sign which, when translated into serviceble English, expresses a preference to have sex with Mr. Moore and that Mr. Bush leave, I assume during the blessed act, perhaps after the election.

Telex
August 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I would hesitate to call them educated. Opinionated would be a better term.

KneeLess
August 9th, 2004, 03:46 PM
What is this thread about? That two soliders don't like Moore? How does this have anything to do with international affairs anyway?

mholtum
August 9th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I would hesitate to call them educated. Opinionated would be a better term.
Exactly! Just like all the Liberals praising Michael Moore's latest cesspool he calls a movie.

Telex
August 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM

Apokalupsis
August 9th, 2004, 05:41 PM
I think the title is misleading. IMO, it should be:

Moore vs Bush...who's views do soldiers support?

I'll change it if mholtum thinks that is more accurate. ;)

Telex
August 9th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Or maybe only the Bush supporters would be crass enough to write out an explative-laden sign on cardboard?

Zenstone
August 9th, 2004, 06:36 PM
What is this thread about? That two soliders don't like Moore? How does this have anything to do with international affairs anyway?I've found the ODN recently cluttered with non-debate, soapbox-type posts. Its what drives me on to another board...

Although I was not aware that the US military showed Moore's movie overseas. Perhaps these crusaders just recently arrived. Let's check back in with them next year.

Spartacus
August 9th, 2004, 08:12 PM

Well statisticlly those two anonymous Marines...and they are Marines not soldiers...are inclined to be better educated than Michael Moore....Didn't Moore drop out of college after like one semester?

Spartacus
August 9th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Or maybe only the Bush supporters would be crass enough to write out an explative-laden sign on cardboard?

yeah that's right...the Ironworkers and other trade unions get their expletive filled signs printed on bumperstickers.....

Apokalupsis
August 9th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Thread moved to US Politics.

KneeLess
August 9th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Well statisticlly those two anonymous Marines...and they are Marines not soldiers...are inclined to be better educated than Michael Moore....Didn't Moore drop out of college after like one semester?
Okay, so what?

Exactly! Just like all the Liberals praising Michael Moore's latest cesspool he calls a movie.
Stop with the generalizations.

I've found the ODN recently cluttered with non-debate, soapbox-type posts. Its what drives me on to another board...
And the few debate posts are not argued anyway...

KevinBrowning
August 9th, 2004, 09:27 PM
I've found the ODN recently cluttered with non-debate, soapbox-type posts. Its what drives me on to another board...

Although I was not aware that the US military showed Moore's movie overseas. Perhaps these crusaders just recently arrived. Let's check back in with them next year.

Then why complain and keep the thread active? Just ignore threads that you are not interested in.

mog
August 10th, 2004, 02:13 AM
I am pretty sure I have seen that picture with half a dozen different things written on the cardboard. There are a couple of sites where you type what you want to see on the cardboard in a box and it edits it for you. I remember a while back some people's versions of similar editable images tricked some very large news organisations, much to their embarrassment.

Apokalupsis
August 10th, 2004, 02:29 AM
hehe that would be pretty funny. ;) But it is still an interesting argument IMO...which position the military (those who serve) largely supports.

mholtum
August 10th, 2004, 09:02 AM
My son is in the Army at this moment. He told me that everyone that he has asked has stated that they believe Moore to be a complete "Asshat".

Telex
August 10th, 2004, 09:19 AM
I am pretty sure I have seen that picture with half a dozen different things written on the cardboard. There are a couple of sites where you type what you want to see on the cardboard in a box and it edits it for you
You mean something like this?

OMG OMG Christians don't like Bush!

Apokalupsis
August 10th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Red Herring. Who cares who Christians, Muslims, Republicans, Democrats, White people, Black people, etc... like more? The issue in this thread, are the views held by the military. And the issue isn't Bush vs Kerry (the military would most certainly favor Bush over Kerry, no contest), but rather Bush vs Moore.

chadn737
August 10th, 2004, 10:45 AM
I think the answer to this question is fairly obvious so why waste time debating it.

Telex
August 10th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Red Herring. Who cares who Christians, Muslims, Republicans, Democrats, White people, Black people, etc... like more? The issue in this thread, are the views held by the military. And the issue isn't Bush vs Kerry (the military would most certainly favor Bush over Kerry, no contest), but rather Bush vs Moore.

So, we're comparing a President to a "documentary" (I don't think anyone believes the films are real documentaries) director? Is Moore running for President now? Because otherwise it's an odd comparison. It would make more sense if we were talking about soldiers prefering Bush or Kerry, as they actually have aspects that are comparable. Maybe a comparison between Moore and the maker of "Michael Moore Hates America." Otherwise this is just going to be another thread of "Moore Sucks and Bush is AWESOME and some soldiers and my God agree with me so if you hate Bush you HATE OUR TROOPS AND AMERICA!" and whatever the anti-Bush stereotype is. But whatever floats your boat.

Apokalupsis
August 10th, 2004, 11:05 AM
No, we are comparing philosophies. Haven't you read this thread? There are 2 philosophies in opposite corners here.

Also, no one has stated that if you disagree with Bush you hate the troops and nation. What is with all these straw men and red herrings you are delivering lately?

Also, so what if people are on a "crusade" to debunk Michael Moore here lately? 1) Moore is in the public spotlight, and is brighter than ever. 2) his film is the most talked about film right now, 3) he is very active publicly, giving speeches, and being sought after by universities and politicians, 4) most of the threads about a certain group here, are those involving Christians. Christians and Christianity is constantly under attack, every day, by several posts here at ODN. It has only recently been the development that Moore is under attack by a few posters here. I find this little "objection" of yours, to be highly hypocritical in the scheme of things.

You have options here at ODN. 1) If you don't like a subject, don't participate. 2) If your belief is being attacked, defend it. Don't whine that it is under attack right now (all beliefs are under attack here at ODN...it's what we do).

Telex
August 10th, 2004, 11:22 AM
From whence am I whining? I'm merely predicting.

1) Moore is in the public spotlight, and is brighter than ever.
He is a shining beacon, truly.

4) most of the threads about a certain group here, are those involving Christians.
I must admit that I rarely ever read those.

As for the rest...I suppose you have a point.

KevinBrowning
August 10th, 2004, 12:41 PM
My son is in the Army at this moment. He told me that everyone that he has asked has stated that they believe Moore to be a complete "Asshat".

This statement from mholtum's son is so far the only direct evidence given in this thread of whether the members of the U.S. Military like George W. Bush or Michael Moore more. Most of the other posts are arguments about a variety of things, but mostly the quality of this thread, and whether the recent attacks on Michael Moore on these forums are justified. Both are irrelevant to the thread.

Zenstone
August 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
And the few debate posts are not argued anyway...Unfortunately, thay are increasingly "argued" in this manner:
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=39722&postcount=16
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=39796&postcount=24

Basically, if you don't like generalizations...leave. (c'mon Apok, that's not your style...)

Gosh, KB, I was interested in this subject, but I don't have a vested interest in what those two particular marines think of Michael Moore. I do want to see an argument made that effectively supports something about this title "Educated People vs Michael Moores Rhetoric"

Telex
August 10th, 2004, 06:48 PM
I actually do have something relevent to post here, which I forgot to mention because I was sidetracked by other things (namely the website that let me make my own church sign).

My friend's dad is a recently retired Marine (I don't remember the rank, but I believe he was lietenant colonel. I could easily be wrong) who took part in the Gulf War, Afghanistan, and a tour in Iraq. He firmly believes that in the case of the Iraq war, we invaded the wrong country. I havn't discussed the war with him in detail, but he was definatly not in favor of the war. I can't remember who he though we should have invaded instead...I believe it was Saudi Arabia. He believes it so strongly that he regularily volunteers to speak about the issue in the local high school history classes.

Whether he likes Moore or not, I don't know. But he definatly doesn't like Bush.

Apokalupsis
August 10th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately, thay are increasingly "argued" in this manner:
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=39722&postcount=16
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=39796&postcount=24

Basically, if you don't like generalizations...leave. (c'mon Apok, that's not your style...)
...what? Where did you come up w/ that one?

Gosh, KB, I was interested in this subject, but I don't have a vested interest in what those two particular marines think of Michael Moore. I do want to see an argument made that effectively supports something about this title "Educated People vs Michael Moores Rhetoric"
The title was incorrect, and has since been changed.

FruitandNut
August 11th, 2004, 11:32 AM
I listened to a 'Hard Talk' interrogation of General Franks, the other day. He had turned down the offer of a fifth star on the grounds that he did not want to feel the intimate and compromising embrace of top politics. He has made some exceedingly derogatory remarks about Bush's political inner circle, who he sees as selfish and self serving. The British equivilent of his comment on their administrative skill and understanding runs thus, 'They couldn't organise a pi*s up in a brewery.'
And yet despite all the invective he has slung about, he backs Bush for re-election!!!!!!!

FruitandNut
August 11th, 2004, 11:39 AM

Tell your son that Moore is an 'Asshat' with considerably more money than he is likely to accrue.

Moore's job is to ruffle complacencies, as such, I will give him 9 out of 10. I would give him the full 10, if in doing so, he could also stimutate 100% rational responses.