PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Compass

ladyphoenix
February 25th, 2008, 10:31 AM
So I haven't watched the movie. I have no idea what goes on in the movie. But I am probably 4/5 of the way through the book, and I have the next two in-hand.

I have no idea where to begin a discussion, so I guess I'll just ask: Who else has read them? Or at least this first one...

GodlySoup
February 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Let me sum up the movie for you: The longest introduction to a second movie ever made.

catch22
February 26th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I've read the GC

Let me sum up the movie for you: The longest introduction to a second movie ever made.

Hahahahaha

sylouette
February 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I haven't read it but my son has played the game....found it rather boring actually. But I guess it's hard for an 11 year old to get into a storyline like that.

Muse
March 31st, 2008, 09:57 PM
I took a whole semester course in my college on His Dark Materials. A whole semester: we read the series & other related books, analyzed them to shreds, and even watched the movie.

Basically, what I got was: Pullman's a storyteller. HDM is a story. Treat it like a story, and not a parable.

My teacher was of the view that Pullman critiqued organizations, upheld imagination & knowledge (there are themes of innocence & experience, all interlacing back to Blake & Milton) & that Pullman is also decidedly against the Narnia Christian preachings.

eliotitus
April 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Bloomin' americanisms, the book is called Northen lights danm it.

ladyphoenix
April 4th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Yeah, well, seriously, I didn't know how many people I'd get in here with "The Northern Lights." So sue me. :P

eliotitus
April 5th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Yeah, well, seriously, I didn't know how many people I'd get in here with "The Northern Lights." So sue me. :P

Okey you'll be notified of the details and court dates in due course :grin: