PDA

View Full Version : Hello People of ODN

Sapphire Moon
April 23rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hello everyone! Itís nice to meet you guys and nice just being here. I have finally decided to stop lurking behind the scenes and join this community so that I could put my own opinions in. Not to mention the fact that I just love to debate.

Now, I guess I should tell you guys a little bit about myself. I am a very abnormal teenager of 17 to say the least and live in the Southeastern part of the U.S.

I am a theist but I do not strictly follow any sort of denomination. Instead I have gathered information and have formed my own beliefs. If you must classify me with a certain religion I suppose you could call me a very open-minded Christian.

Politically I would say that I am a moderate that tends to lean more toward the Liberal side.

Reading is a great passion of mine. If you go into my room it is like entering a chaotic library. As for what reading material I like, I will read just about anything excluding science fiction. That genre has just never done it for me.

Well, I think I have told you enough about myself. I hope I get to meet some of you guys and gain some new friends. See you guys around!

Dionysus
April 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Welcome!

Castle
April 23rd, 2008, 07:22 PM
Welcome aboard! I hope you enjoy your time here.

MindTrap028
April 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM
Welcome To The Thunder Dome!!!

KevinBrowning
April 23rd, 2008, 10:14 PM
I am a theist but I do not strictly follow any sort of denomination. Instead I have gathered information and have formed my own beliefs. If you must classify me with a certain religion I suppose you could call me a very open-minded Christian.

Welcome. You seem hesitant to call yourself a Christian. Do you believe Christ is the Lord and Savior? Or do you believe He is your Savior but not all people must believe in Him to enter Heaven? Or do you value His moral teachings but reject His divinity? Just curious.

Ivan
April 23rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Welcome.

I see two problems already.

First, you don't like science fiction. I may agree that much of it is less than satisfactory, but then there are the authors who have helped shape the world.

B) A moderate leaning toward the liberal side. Is there such a thing as a moderate liberal? Doesn't liberal these days equate with foil hats and holding the belief that the movie Day After Tomorrow is a documentary? Wait, or was that An Inconvenient Truth? I get those two movies confused.

Anyway, welcome. May your belief system be thoroughly challenged and you come out on the other side a better person.

Aspoestertjie
April 24th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Hey Sapphire Moon, welcome to ODN... If you like debating you will get addicted for sure.

Ivan... why don't you start a thread on science fiction and what the authors contributed to the world, I would also love to know. I believe Mithran also mentioned that without science fiction the world would have been different than it is today.

I like only the more realistic kind of science fiction books, the kind that gives me knightmares. Stephen King is my favourite.

Enjoy - Aspo

Ivan
April 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hey Sapphire Moon, welcome to ODN... If you like debating you will get addicted for sure.

Ivan... why don't you start a thread on science fiction and what the authors contributed to the world, I would also love to know. I believe Mithran also mentioned that without science fiction the world would have been different than it is today.

I like only the more realistic kind of science fiction books, the kind that gives me knightmares. Stephen King is my favourite.

Enjoy - Aspo

Stephen King is not science fiction. Fantasy is not science fiction.

Hope
April 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hello!

I am a very abnormal teenager of 17

Aren't we all at this age?

Define "abnormal," and you might find out that you're more "normal" on this forum than you thought. Might.

Sapphire Moon
April 24th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Welcome. You seem hesitant to call yourself a Christian. Do you believe Christ is the Lord and Savior? Or do you believe He is your Savior but not all people must believe in Him to enter Heaven? Or do you value His moral teachings but reject His divinity? Just curious.

I accept him as my savior but don’t believe that all people must believe him to enter into heaven. I believe there are many paths to god. There are other things of the Christian faith that I disagree with but I think I will keep them to myself for now.

Welcome.

I see two problems already.

First, you don't like science fiction. I may agree that much of it is less than satisfactory, but then there are the authors who have helped shape the world.

B) A moderate leaning toward the liberal side. Is there such a thing as a moderate liberal? Doesn't liberal these days equate with foil hats and holding the belief that the movie Day After Tomorrow is a documentary? Wait, or was that An Inconvenient Truth? I get those two movies confused.

Anyway, welcome. May your belief system be thoroughly challenged and you come out on the other side a better person.

Sorry, I just can’t get myself to like the genre. I gave it an honest try but I just couldn’t do it. I go more for historical fiction myself. I do watch a lot of science fiction, though, mostly through anime.

Maybe I should have said behaviorally rather than politically. That might have given a more clear assessment. I have the sort of attitude that it is your life not mine so do whatever you want but if those actions have the potentiality of detrimentally effecting someone else than you shouldn’t do it. This sort of attitude makes me swing back and forth between the two and I do seem to side with the liberals more than I do the conservatives. Who knows maybe I will be able to prove that there is such a thing as a moderate liberal!!!

Hello!

Aren't we all at this age?

Define "abnormal," and you might find out that you're more "normal" on this forum than you thought. Might.

Ah, the things that seems to set me apart from the rest of my age group.

Let’s see first off I love to learn or just like knowing stuff. I continuously watch the Discovery, Health, and History channels. If there is a subject that I don’t know much about I will search the internet for articles on that subject so then I will know about it. If I don’t do that it will bug me till I do.

I am also a very big fan of anime. I love the genre simply because it’s different from anything I have ever seen and many of the plots are very deep and complicated. If I am not watching some of the above than I will most likely be watching an anime series. It is also because of this genre that I have more knowledge of the Japanese culture and language than the average American.

I seem to have a lot of contradictions as well when it comes to stereotypes. For example, I am a blonde haired girl with blue-green eyes. Fashion is fairly important to me and so I strive to look nice. Basically I look like that innocent girl that would only listen to country and Christian rock and would gasp in horror at the mention of a cuss word. That is actually quite the opposite. I hate country and I never listen to Christian rock. Instead I’m bit of a metalhead and love listening to bands such as Metallica, Disturbed, Godsmack, or System of a Down. As for being innocent, being related to a bunch of deadbeats has excluded me from that. I am anything from innocent when it comes to knowledge I just don’t put it out there. And cuss words? I don’t even flinch. Why should I when I’ve been surrounded by them all my life?

So does this give me the definition of being at least a bit abnormal? Or do you see some normalcy in all that?

Hope
April 24th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Let’s see first off I love to learn or just like knowing stuff. I continuously watch the Discovery, Health, and History channels.

Me too! Weird...

If there is a subject that I don’t know much about I will search the internet for articles on that subject so then I will know about it. If I don’t do that it will bug me till I do.

I'm not as hardcore as you, apparently, but similar characteristics apply.

I am also a very big fan of anime. I love the genre simply because it’s different from anything I have ever seen and many of the plots are very deep and complicated. If I am not watching some of the above than I will most likely be watching an anime series. It is also because of this genre that I have more knowledge of the Japanese culture and language than the average American.

That's cool. It's interesting that you watch it for the culture and depth, as opposed to lots of the anime geeks I know who are into it just for the violence/sex/whatever.

I seem to have a lot of contradictions as well when it comes to stereotypes. For example, I am a blonde haired girl with blue-green eyes. Fashion is fairly important to me and so I strive to look nice. Basically I look like that innocent girl that would only listen to country and Christian rock and would gasp in horror at the mention of a cuss word. That is actually quite the opposite. I hate country and I never listen to Christian rock. Instead I’m bit of a metalhead and love listening to bands such as Metallica, Disturbed, Godsmack, or System of a Down. As for being innocent, being related to a bunch of deadbeats has excluded me from that. I am anything from innocent when it comes to knowledge I just don’t put it out there. And cuss words? I don’t even flinch. Why should I when I’ve been surrounded by them all my life?

Not too bad. Certainly individualistic, not be any means an ordinary make-up, but not altogether "abnormal," at least as I tend to use the word.

Slipnish
April 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I accept him as my savior but don’t believe that all people must believe him to enter into heaven. I believe there are many paths to god. There are other things of the Christian faith that I disagree with but I think I will keep them to myself for now.

Sorry, I just can’t get myself to like the genre. I gave it an honest try but I just couldn’t do it. I go more for historical fiction myself. I do watch a lot of science fiction, though, mostly through anime.

Maybe I should have said behaviorally rather than politically. That might have given a more clear assessment. I have the sort of attitude that it is your life not mine so do whatever you want but if those actions have the potentiality of detrimentally effecting someone else than you shouldn’t do it. This sort of attitude makes me swing back and forth between the two and I do seem to side with the liberals more than I do the conservatives. Who knows maybe I will be able to prove that there is such a thing as a moderate liberal!!!

Ah, the things that seems to set me apart from the rest of my age group.

Let’s see first off I love to learn or just like knowing stuff. I continuously watch the Discovery, Health, and History channels. If there is a subject that I don’t know much about I will search the internet for articles on that subject so then I will know about it. If I don’t do that it will bug me till I do.

So does this give me the definition of being at least a bit abnormal? Or do you see some normalcy in all that?

You're normal.

Welcome to ODN!

Nice to see ya, even if you don't like Sci-Fi. Meh. No one is perfect.

You should try some of the older sci fi guys. Modern Sci fi leaves me cold.

Asimov, Heinlein, those folks were and are great...

Squatch347
April 24th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Well Hello