PDA

View Full Version : Bush fund covert operations against Iran.

Vandaler
June 29th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Late last year, Congress agreed to a request from President Bush to fund a major escalation of covert operations against Iran, according to current and former military, intelligence, and congressional sources.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/07/080707fa_fact_hersh

Given the magnitude of the leak, the irreproachable reputation of both the journalist and the publication, and the lack of outcry in Washington over who could have leaked this information, I would theorize that this is yet another chapter in the war of nerves waged against Iran over it's nuclear program.

Spartacus
June 30th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Given the magnitude of the leak, the irreproachable reputation of both the journalist and the publication, and the lack of outcry in Washington over who could have leaked this information, I would theorize that this is yet another chapter in the war of nerves waged against Iran over it's nuclear program.

Firstly, you might want to consider your description of th New Yorker as "irreproachable" as the publication is well known to have and not even bother to hide its very Liberal bias.

Secondly -- I don't see the big deal here. The US has been secretly fighting against the Iranian Ayatollahs off and on since 1979. Iran was largely responsible for the Marine Barraks bombing in Beirut in 1983 as well as many other terrorist operations committed by Hamas with Iran's support and training.

Iran is also largely responsible for ush of thedeath and destructin in Iraq today. It only makes sense to go after Al Quts and put them on the defensive for a change. Iranians are notoriously paranoid when it comes to internal security. It doesn't take much to get them riled up and looking at their own people for "spies and traitors". Unfortunately, the more Iranians repress their own people -- the better it is for the US.

Slipnish
June 30th, 2008, 10:32 AM
The calm before the storm.

I dunno why you'd want stuff like this leaked. Of course they do it, but it's awfully irresponsible to leak it.

Snoop
June 30th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I heard an interview with Seymour Hirsh on NPR today. Bush submitted a "findings" letter to the leaders of the Senate and House to get the funding. The VP is in direct contact with the team which is supposedly located in the Afghanistan border region (he has a list of specific high value targets). I believe there are teams from other countries as well (to make it look like they are not working for the Americans if they get caught). Israel is also poised and ready to strike specific targets.

This may be an election year ploy because the Democratic leaders in Congress don't want to look soft on terrorism/national security. They couldn't deny the request (which was approved in February). The "leak" had to be intentional. In any case, it would be nice to see a regime change in Iran - the sooner the better. I'm tired of being called "the great Satan".

Vandaler
June 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Firstly, you might want to consider your description of th New Yorker as "irreproachable" as the publication is well known to have and not even bother to hide its very Liberal bias.

You're poisoning the well Spartacus. If there is a relevant liberal bias in the article, identify it and call it out. Otherwise, let it go.

My post is not at all that this situation is scandalous. In fact, one need to be pretty naive to think that such operations have not been underway for some time now. The purpose of the OP is to rather speculate on whether this was a planned leak by the Administration or an illegal leak of State secrets.