PDA

View Full Version : Youtube debates

CliveStaples
June 30th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I think we should schedule some Youtube debate matchups. Something like 10 min argument for each side, 10 minute response, then 5 minute closing rebuttal/argument.

KevinBrowning
June 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I've often wondered why ODN has never experimented with video debates. I prefer typing to speaking in debates, but I'd like to see others try this out here.

Bobson52
June 30th, 2008, 07:33 PM
hmmmmmm interesting.....................

we should do the nuclear car one on youtube

KA-BBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

bye bye youtube

CliveStaples
June 30th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I was thinking something compelling to a wider audience, like a debate about the presidential candidates, or the economy. Even something lighter, like whether Iron Man was good, or if Christian Bale is overrated.

Bobson52
June 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Good point although a nuclear car would be cool.......................

starcreator
June 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I think that would be awesome, even on an informal basis. Controversial, general topics sound great. If it catches on, we could be looking at scheduling recruitment and these rounds themselves formally.

YamiB.
July 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
I don't have a camera for my computer so I guess that would discount me. Though I guess I could record myself with my microphone and just put that in a video.

CliveStaples
July 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
I don't have a camera for my computer so I guess that would discount me. Though I guess I could record myself with my microphone and just put that in a video.

That works. You just need an image to overlay the audio.

starcreator
July 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM

Actually, I could see a lot of people with cameras choosing to do this too, should they have privacy issues.

Fangrim
July 3rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
I think we should schedule some Youtube debate matchups. Something like 10 min argument for each side, 10 minute response, then 5 minute closing rebuttal/argument.
Would be interesting...

The key is, of course, the kind of topics for video debates. As said before, general and controversial topics seem most obvious, but that doesn't necessarily preclude more complex subjects.

Having cool debaters with some eloquence is obviously nice, too.

YamiB.
July 3rd, 2008, 07:09 AM
I think it could be pretty simple to decide the issue of topics for debate. Just start a thread where people post up topics they would be interested in debating and create a list. Then group people up to debate each of those topics via youtube.

Netopalis
July 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
I would be willing to participate once I return home in August.

Trendem
July 3rd, 2008, 10:09 AM
Apart from the fun, imagine the publicity this would garner for ODN on youtube...

Netopalis
July 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
...Which could or could not be a good thing, considering the quality of debate in YouTube comments.

CliveStaples
July 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Apart from the fun, imagine the publicity this would garner for ODN on youtube...

...yeah, don't get your hopes up.
<center><br><br><font color="red">_________________________________ <sub> Post Merged </sub>_________________________________</font><br><br></center>
If we go through with this, I'd like to keep the first debates fairly light--Ninja Gaiden vs. Devil May Cry, best superhero movie, etc.--to at least have people engaged and having fun. We can always get more serious, after all.

Trendem
July 3rd, 2008, 07:15 PM
If we go through with this, I'd like to keep the first debates fairly light--Ninja Gaiden vs. Devil May Cry, best superhero movie, etc.--to at least have people engaged and having fun. We can always get more serious, after all.
The assumption being that more serious topics can't keep people engaged and are not fun to debate/watch? I beg to differ - the most popular debates on ODN are those on meaty, controversial issues regarding religion, politics and philosophy.

bethabigail
July 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
I'd like to debate on video. I have a camcorder, video editing software and the such. I have on video of myself on youtube, doing an exercise with my dog: http://youtube.com/watch?v=AGhl7XgjkpI

Anyways.. I think it'd be fun to do such a debate back and forth over video. It could become a competition graded by fair and disinterested moderators. :)

CliveStaples
July 3rd, 2008, 08:06 PM
The assumption being that more serious topics can't keep people engaged and are not fun to debate/watch?

No, it's just that serious debates are much harder to do well than less serious debates. I think starting off easy would let people get used to the format, and tensions would be running low. I think that's a much more conducive atmosphere to fostering a successful youtube debate series.

I beg to differ - the most popular debates on ODN are those on meaty, controversial issues regarding religion, politics and philosophy.

I absolutely agree; I just think that's a very tall order for ODN's first youtube debates.

Netopalis
July 3rd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Meh, I've always found it best to start out swinging.

Vandaler
July 4th, 2008, 07:15 PM
It takes a whole lot of preparation to have 10 minutes of talking on a video, but it sure sounds interesting.

starcreator
July 4th, 2008, 08:46 PM
It takes a whole lot of preparation to have 10 minutes of talking on a video, but it sure sounds interesting.

We can go for 5. Believe me, I participate in live debate fairly often and an eight minute speech is really short; everyone has to cut down elements of their speeches. Youtube debates would encourage people to be concise; everyone would be forced to use the same amount of time as effectively as possible.

dbogjohnson
May 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hey I have a camera! whats with this? where do I start???

Apokalupsis
May 19th, 2009, 02:36 PM
If you guys are serious about this, or at least, serious in testing this, this is what I propose.

2 people representing 2 different sides of an argument.
3 rounds total to start, 4 mins absolute max (meaning ea. turn in a round is max 2 mins). Opening Round, Response/Rebuttal, Closing.
This brings the total time of the debate anywhere between 6-12 mins.

To create the end result, I can edit all video footage into one video (titles, visual aids, transitions, ODN "plug", etc...).
To do that, we'd just need you to send the video to us.
To do the "round debate" format, obviously, each party would need to see each other's video/argument to respond to. For this, I can host on our website. That will allow the participants to create/formulate their argument and create the video.
Once all 3 rounds are in, we'll piece the entire debate together and upload it to Youtube for all to see.

Aspoestertjie
May 24th, 2009, 08:11 AM
If you guys are serious about this, or at least, serious in testing this, this is what I propose.

2 people representing 2 different sides of an argument.
3 rounds total to start, 4 mins absolute max (meaning ea. turn in a round is max 2 mins). Opening Round, Response/Rebuttal, Closing.
This brings the total time of the debate anywhere between 6-12 mins.

To create the end result, I can edit all video footage into one video (titles, visual aids, transitions, ODN "plug", etc...).
To do that, we'd just need you to send the video to us.
To do the "round debate" format, obviously, each party would need to see each other's video/argument to respond to. For this, I can host on our website. That will allow the participants to create/formulate their argument and create the video.
Once all 3 rounds are in, we'll piece the entire debate together and upload it to Youtube for all to see.

So, will each round be in real time? Will people decide on a topic, then record their argument, let the other one view it and then record the rebuttal?

I mean, it should be done in real time, otherwise I don't see any point in doing it.

It does seem like a good plan though. I have a camera but won't do this kind of debating. I will like to watch though.

Firefly
July 1st, 2009, 05:14 PM
would it not be simpler just to have a live webcam conference?

Lord Infamous
July 8th, 2009, 08:24 PM
The debaters over at youtube are major, majorrrrrrrrrrrrr pricks.

Firefly
July 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Judging by the comments posted, I'd agree.
If they can't even communicate with the comments feature without going apesh*t:craz:, don't give them a camera and a mic, that's just asking for trouble! :insane:

Lord Infamous
July 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM
If they can't even communicate with the comments feature without going apesh*t:craz:, don't give them a camera and a mic, that's just asking for trouble! :insane:

Indeed. Youtube's also ate up with numerous internet tuf guys. Pathetic.

Aspoestertjie
July 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM

No, you are missing the point here. It does have some entertainment value.;):

Have you ever pictured Zhavric in a Youtube debate with Apok about God's existence?

Okay, not everybody picture it like I do. But I really think it can be funny at times.

Swindall
July 13th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I could imagine Zhavrics responses with a burning bible in the background, and Zhav with fake 'devil horns' attached to his head as he speaks :lol:.

AliceLiddell
July 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
I could imagine Zhavrics responses with a burning bible in the background, and Zhav with fake 'devil horns' attached to his head as he speaks :lol:.

And Apok with a burning bush and fake halo.

CliveStaples
July 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM
So someone put up a youtube argument already, sheesh!

MindTrap028
July 15th, 2009, 06:33 PM
So Clive.. I take it You read my comment on your youtube response.
I can't believe I didn't see this thread earlier.

I am all for this.. though I would really have to work up the courage to take part.

I have thought of having my children read a formal debate from ODN, and shoot it as though it were their own positions(aka not obvious that they are reading it). An idea from some radio Jocks that had children read a hard core part of Pulp Fiction.

Topics.

How about take a thread that was very successful from ODN and redo it?
What thread has made you think?

Personally, none that could easily be put into a 12min vid.

Apokalupsis
July 25th, 2009, 09:38 PM
And Apok with a burning bush and fake halo.
...fake?

Aspoestertjie
July 25th, 2009, 11:23 PM

I picture it totally differently though.

I see both of them starting off quite civil and very polite.

Of course that does not last long and soon Zhav is sitting in a cot. There are some toys in the cot. The more angry he gets, the more verbal and loud he gets and Apok tries to put a smoother (dummy) into his mouth.

But Zhav doesn't want to shut up and listen, so he throws his toys out of his cot one by one, some of it striking Apok on the forehead.

Okay, so I told you guys I have an active imagination...

JoCro
August 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
...fake?

Haha. I only have a microphone but I'd be willing to participate, even if I don't have lot of experience. And if you want to start light, sports debates usually manage that while still engaging a wide audience.

And when I saw the title, I thought ODN wanted to get members debating with Youtube users. Like in the comments section. Which is NOT smart. Those people are....special.