PDA

View Full Version : Why hello there

Crystal
August 1st, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hmm I don't know what to say... :p
My name is Crystal, obviously, and while I love forums and discussion boards, I'm going to have to get used to this one! I'm also pretty new to debating…things as well.
So if you have any advice for an ultra n00b, lay it on me.

In the mean time, I'm going to get used to this forum's "atmosphere".

Excited about meeting you all!

-Crystal

Muse
August 1st, 2008, 07:12 PM
Welcome.
Advice: say loads of outrageous and eregious things. You'll learn & have fun!

(what do you mean by "debating...things"?)

Crystal
August 1st, 2008, 07:31 PM
Welcome.
Advice: say loads of outrageous and eregious things. You'll learn & have fun!

(what do you mean by "debating...things"?)

Hello Muse!

I guess I mean I'm not a big debater. I've always been the kind of person who keeps thoughts and opinions to themselves.
Unfortunately I'm also the kind of person who has trouble putting thoughts to the proper words. So that’s something I'm going to have to learn to do.
If that makes sense...

-Crystal

Tarja
August 1st, 2008, 08:17 PM
Unfortunately I'm also the kind of person who has trouble putting thoughts to the proper words. So that’s something I'm going to have to learn to do.
If that makes sense...

Do you mean you have trouble explaining your opinions because you do not know the right words to use? If so, I'm the same. I often say things that turn out to be wrong because I can't word my opinion properly.

Welcome to the board, by the way.:afro:

LiberalTruth
August 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Hello. :)

AlexanderWright
August 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM
Ahh another new person! Hi! :afro:

Crystal
August 1st, 2008, 08:36 PM
Hello everyone! Thank you for the welcome.

Do you mean you have trouble explaining your opinions because you do not know the right words to use? If so, I'm the same. I often say things that turn out to be wrong because I can't word my opinion properly.

Welcome to the board, by the way.:afro:

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. :)

Tarja
August 1st, 2008, 08:41 PM
Yes, that is exactly what I mean. :)

Don't worry then, I am in the same boat! I often find it hard to understand even the most basic words/questions so I tend to shy away from such subjects in case I embarrass myself.

My problem stems from learning difficulties I've suffered since High School - how about you?

AlexanderWright
August 1st, 2008, 08:50 PM
Don't worry then, I am in the same boat! I often find it hard to understand even the most basic words/questions so I tend to shy away from such subjects in case I embarrass myself.

My problem stems from learning difficulties I've suffered since High School - how about you?

Omg, I have the same problem. :afro:

Crystal
August 1st, 2008, 09:05 PM

I shy away from some subjects in fear of embarrassment as well.
I'm one of those people who have to ask the teacher about the directions in fear I'm reading it wrong. Sometimes I just don't see what their trying to say or the message they are trying to get across.
I've been told I'm good at English, however. (And perhaps those people were lunatics or just felt bad for me! Haha)

But... this is after I obsessively look over and over and over my paper. Even a simple post like this needs to be looked over and over by me before I feel comfortable posting it. :undecided:

Tarja
August 1st, 2008, 09:10 PM
I shy away from some subjects in fear of embarrassment as well.
I'm one of those people who have to ask the teacher about the directions in fear I'm reading it wrong. Sometimes I just don't see what their trying to say or the message they are trying to get across.
I've been told I'm good at English, however. (And perhaps those people were lunatics or just felt bad for me! Haha)

But... this is after I obsessively look over and over and over my paper. Even a simple post like this needs to be looked over and over by me before I feel comfortable posting it. :undecided:

I am exactly the same, so don't worry. There are a few threads here I have gotten messed up in because I didn't understand the question - just took a guess - and I ended up being wrong.:grin:

Oh well.

Aspoestertjie
August 3rd, 2008, 09:37 AM
Welcome aboard Crystal, I am sure you will enjoy it here on ODN. It is always nice to meet someone new.

I am currently the only South African that is really actively participating in debate. And I believe I replied to your thread about children already.

I have the same problem you have. Reading my posts over and over again. My problem is really English because I am actually Afrikaans. But I think I improved and do believe there is still lots of room for improvement on my side.

You learn something new every day here on ODN. :) Enjoy!

Tarja
August 3rd, 2008, 11:18 PM
My problem is really English because I am actually Afrikaans.

You would never know you had any trouble reading/writing English - you do very well.:afro: