PDA

View Full Version : Kimi, here.

KimLeigh
October 4th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Hey guys. =) My name is Kimi, and I just joined a bit ago. Basically, I'm just a 17 year old girl from Nebraska. I'm in my senior year of high school, and after this I'll be moving out to Los Angeles, California, to go to college. I love debating; I'm on my school's Varsity Forensics team. I compete in Lincoln-Douglas style debate, so this forum seems a bit different, but I'm sure it's just as exciting. =3 But well...that's basically me, sorta. xD Anyways, hi. =)

Snoop
October 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Can you change the color of your font if you're going to post here alot?

Lincoln-Douglas have nothing on ODN - we are new age debators. Welcome.

P.S. What's with the two bananas in your avatar?

Swindall
October 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Lol yeah, your font is a tad bright...

Welcome Kimi. :)

chadn737
October 4th, 2008, 04:18 PM
If you truly want to annoy, then choose lemon chiffon, this color does permanent eye damage.

KimLeigh
October 4th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Heh sorry, it didn't look that bright on the color selection thing. xD
The bananas? They're an inside joke between my girl and I, I use them as my avatar in most forums I'm on.

Snoop
October 4th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Heh sorry, it didn't look that bright on the color selection thing. xD
The bananas? They're an inside joke between my girl and I, I use them as my avatar in most forums I'm on.Is your girl your kid or your lover? :undecided:

KimLeigh
October 4th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Hah, lover. xD I'm 17, not really old enough to...well. =/ I guess there are mothers much younger than me, really...but no. xD I don't have kids.

Dionysus
October 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Welcome aboard kiddo. Great to have you. :)

Tarja
October 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
zOMG R U a lesbian? That is so cool, welcome to the club. You'll enjoy it here, I assure you. Hope you aren't to nervous moving to California for college!

KimLeigh
October 4th, 2008, 05:52 PM
OMG yah I totally am! 8D But well yeah, I haven't posted on any debates just yet, still reading up and getting a feel for how things work here...but I really like it already. =) Seems like a pretty cool place. <3

And as far as Cali is concerned...heh, I'm not nervous at all, I'm ready for change. I've been dying to finally be out there, see my Mona lives in LA. ;) I've been out to visit her, and absolutely fell in love with the big city. I've lived in this tiny town most of my life, only a few years in Omaha, which is bigger but not tons. =P Little towns are ok, but not so much for opportunities, job-wise. And plus, the main colleges I'm looking at there have great psych programs. x3

Bobson52
October 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Welcome to ODN and i think i have the small town category all locked up.......you can't possibly be smaller than my town......

KimLeigh
October 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hehe how small is your town? xD I wouldn't doubt that there are smaller than mine, but....it's still small nonetheless. =P Norfolk has I think...like 23 thousand people? But we are like the BIG CITY where I live, all the towns around here within like 40-50 miles are in the triple digits, RARELY quadruple. xD

chadn737
October 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM
23 thousand is considered a city where I'm from. I grew up in the country, 3 miles from a town of ~150. The nearest gas station was 7 miles away. The nearest grocery store and WalMart was 20 miles away.

Dela Cruz
October 4th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I remember you...didn't you sign up here before?

http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/member.php?u=1978

Anyway, re-welcome to ODN. :)

KimLeigh
October 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
=O So I WAS here before! This place looked insanely familiar....but lots is different too, I wasn't sure. xD It's been so long...

Dr Gonzo
October 4th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Norfolk, that's rough. Or should I say Norfork? I was stationed in Bellevue for six years, and I don't think I could handle a smaller town than that. I especially don't envy you having an "alternative lifestyle" in a town that small, in a state that red.

So, do you run into Larry often?

KevinBrowning
October 5th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Glad to have someone literate join. It's fairly rare among new members. Try and stay a while this time.

KimLeigh
October 5th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Haha I say Norfolk, most people I know do...but lots others say Norfork, it makes me laugh every time. xD Aww, at least Bellevue is sorta in Omaha, you've got some kinda civilization there.

And on the alternative thing...it's actually kinda funny. =P Because I know a whopping THREE people from Hoskins, much much smaller than Norfolk even, and one is my french teacher, the other two are bisexual girls. xD It's fairly surprising how 'un-straight' the area is, even being red.

Larry...I know several Larrys. xD None of them do I really see all that much though.

Wolf Myth
October 5th, 2008, 07:30 AM
And as far as Cali is concerned...heh, I'm not nervous at all, I'm ready for change.

LA is great fun. Enjoy yourself while you're young and free! Welcome to the board, and I don't mind the nuclear bananas at all.

Bobson52
October 5th, 2008, 08:00 AM
town of under a thousand. we have a store and thats about it......... i win mwhahahaha :)

Dionysus
October 5th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Town of 12 people. We only have one set of traffic lights, and if someone turns on a hair dryer, the traffic lights dim.

Dr Gonzo
October 5th, 2008, 09:37 AM
To put some perspective on Kimi's state, the third largest city in the state (with a population around 45,000, and half of that is military and constantly revolving) becomes the fourth largest city on game days. Memorial Stadium is considered the third largest city when the Cornhuskers are playing.

Dionysus
October 5th, 2008, 10:33 AM
My town's still smaller. Here's a picture or our town hall:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Zahgon/LegoHouse.jpg

But our church is pretty nice, I gotta tell ya (we had a lot of visitors that day):

http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2007-05/lego-church.jpg

GoldPhoenix
October 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Welcome aboard.

Aspoestertjie
October 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Town of 12 people. We only have one set of traffic lights, and if someone turns on a hair dryer, the traffic lights dim.

Dio I beat all of you when it comes to a small town.

We had one traffic light in the year 1985, and my mother in law ran it over. Ever since that day, we do not even have a traffic light.:grin: True story.

ladyphoenix
October 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM
My town doesn't even have a traffic light... We're 450 strong. The post-mistress knows everyone and their mailboxes... All you have to do is get the name and the town, the box/address doesn't matter. It'll get there. But... we did have a college once... loooooong ago.

chadn737
October 6th, 2008, 07:10 AM
My entire county has never had a single traffic light. It doesn't even have a WalMart. The largest town in the county is 1000 people. Middle school and High School are for the entire county and together in one building. Combined I think we had maybe 400 some students, with an average of 50 per class.

I never lived in town though and was 20 miles from school. I would get on the bus at 6:30 and then ride it for ~1 1/2 hours as we drove through gravel and dirt roads out in the middle of nowhere to pick up around 6 or 7 students total.

One town in our county had ~35 people and 80 or so dogs. Their idea of fun was to dig a giant hole in the ground, fill it with enough water to make it just muddy enough. Everyone would then gather around, sit in lawn chairs, drink beer, and watch as they took turns driving their trucks through the mud.

This same town also passed a law making it illegal to tell a lie. The only reason they did this was because they were bored and thought it was pretty funny. They even got national attention for it.

I remember that in some classes, people would pull out pocket knives and start playing with them.....right in the middle of class. During deer season, we would go out hunting early in the morning, throw our bow or shotgun in the back of the car, and then drive into school.

Honestly, I think I can beat out pretty much everyone here when it comes to backwoods, rural, small-town, redneckness.

My town doesn't even have a traffic light... We're 450 strong. The post-mistress knows everyone and their mailboxes... All you have to do is get the name and the town, the box/address doesn't matter.

5 years ago my county didn't even have 911 service. Once you got outside of town (150 strong) the roads had no names except for the county highway. Back then, if you were to send mail to me, you would have just put the name, then RR1 (rural route 1) which covered basically every single person in the zipcode. The post office not only had to know everyone's name, but they had to know everyones house, even if it was 10 miles out of town.

Bf55
October 6th, 2008, 09:41 PM
welcome back friend.

Aspoestertjie
October 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
My entire county has never had a single traffic light. It doesn't even have a WalMart. The largest town in the county is 1000 people. Middle school and High School are for the entire county and together in one building. Combined I think we had maybe 400 some students, with an average of 50 per class. .....

Chad, are you sure we don't live on the same continent?;):

Dr Gonzo
October 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Sounds like South Dakota to me. Or North Dakota. Or Wyoming. Or Alaska. Or Montana. Or parts of Oklahoma. Or the upper peninsula of Michigan. Or Nebraska.

God, the US is huge. It never really dawned on me until just now.