PDA

View Full Version : "First" presidents.

KevinBrowning
November 5th, 2008, 08:39 PM
As you know, we now have our first black president. Kind of. Barack Obama has one white parent and one black parent. Regardless, he considers himself black, and so do most people, mostly because he has dark skin. I would venture to say that his upbringing and cultural background is a good bit different from most black Americans. Anyway, it makes me wonder if and when the US will have its first fully black president. Or Hispanic, or Asian, or whatever besides white, for that matter. Or the first woman.

There was a notable first back in the 1960s, with a president who has been compared to Obama, John Kennedy. The first Roman Catholic. However, this did not start a new trend of non-Protestant Christian presidents. There have been no Jews or Muslims or atheists. There hasn't been another Roman Catholic (unless Obama gets killed, since Biden is). So, after Obama, will it just go back to the trend of white, Protestant Christian males? I suppose my point is, is it reasonable, or supported by history, to expect an unusual "first" to start a trend of more diverse presidents, or is it just an anomaly that will not be repeated for quite a long time, if ever?

Wolf Myth
November 5th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I've been hearing lately from conservatives about pushing for Bobby Jindal (who's lineage comes from India), to run for prez in 2012. If he wins, we'd have our first Indian president.

As far as Asians go, have we ever had any Asians even running? Perhaps I am just completely forgetful, but I can't recall any running. That's a shame too, because Asians are generally smart, disciplined, and family-oriented. Offhand I can't think of any Asians who I'd vote for.

I've always suspected we'd have a male black president before a female white president. Does that mean Americans are more sexist than racist? A year ago I was 100% certain that Obama's star would fade and HIllary would be the nominee. Perhaps her time will come in 2020. If Obama really screws things up, we could have another Carter-Reagan scenario where the Republicans win by a landslide in 2012. How does President Romney sound? Nah, the Republicans need another Great Communicator.

But back to the point of the thread. I don't think suddenly we will see a bunch of blacks and hispanics being elected one right after the other. But perhaps here and there over the course of my lifetime. I don't vote based on skin color or gender anyway. I vote for who I think will take this country in the right direction. I just wonder if I'll live long enough to see our first Samoan president. That would be something.

Dr Gonzo
November 5th, 2008, 09:11 PM
That's a shame too, because Asians are generally smart, disciplined, and family-oriented.

And white guys love to keep other races down, and they have no rhythm.

And black guys are generally criminals who love fried chicken and watermelon.

And chicks are weak and dumb.

Any others I forgot?

I certainly hope America didn't elect a black guy, or half-black guy, or African-American of mixed decent, or any other thing having to do with race. I hope America elected the person they felt most qualified for the job.

Aspoestertjie
November 6th, 2008, 12:47 AM
I think the election of Obama will bring much hope to black people in America. I don't know how they feel or fit into society around there. But what I know is that this can and will encourage them to strive for better, as they can now see that hard work and dedication can actually take you to the top, doesn't matter what colour you are.

I also don't think that it will be a 'trend' at all. I hope and believe that Americans will always elect the person they believe will be the best leader for their country. A good leader is known for what he accomplished and not for the colour of his skin.

I would like to see the day a woman gets elected as president of the US. I do believe there are women intelligent enough to run such a country. I can't help but to feel a little skeptical about that though. After the way Palin was trashed I doubt if America will ever change their mind about women in power.

Allocutus
November 6th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I hope and believe that Americans will always elect the person they believe will be the best leader for their country.

If you look at their past record, I wouldn't be so optimistic about them necessarily knowing how to choose the best leader ;)

But Obama seems like a good choice, for once :)

Aspoestertjie
November 7th, 2008, 04:52 AM
If you look at their past record, I wouldn't be so optimistic about them necessarily knowing how to choose the best leader ;)

hmmm I didn't state they "know" how to choose the best leader, did I?

But Obama seems like a good choice, for once :)

I agree.;):

Apokalupsis
November 7th, 2008, 08:52 AM
As you know, we now have our first black president. Kind of. Barack Obama has one white parent and one black parent. Regardless, he considers himself black, and so do most people, mostly because he has dark skin. I would venture to say that his upbringing and cultural background is a good bit different from most black Americans. Anyway, it makes me wonder if and when the US will have its first fully black president. Or Hispanic, or Asian, or whatever besides white, for that matter. Or the first woman.
Disagree. One isn't black (culturally) because one has only 1 parent who is black...but rather because of their skin color. It's that simple.

Also, I'd argue that high ranking politicians and people of authority...have upbringings that are different than most people...it's what allowed them to have such great ambition and drive IMO. It isn't a race issue. Bush had a different upbringing than most people...so did Biden, so did McCain, etc...

There was a notable first back in the 1960s, with a president who has been compared to Obama, John Kennedy. The first Roman Catholic. However, this did not start a new trend of non-Protestant Christian presidents. There have been no Jews or Muslims or atheists. There hasn't been another Roman Catholic (unless Obama gets killed, since Biden is). So, after Obama, will it just go back to the trend of white, Protestant Christian males? I suppose my point is, is it reasonable, or supported by history, to expect an unusual "first" to start a trend of more diverse presidents, or is it just an anomaly that will not be repeated for quite a long time, if ever?
Both broke the barrier. We haven't not voted for a Roman Catholic because they are a RC...but because of their stance on the issues and/or their record. It will now be the same for people of all color IMO. It won't be a black, brown, "yellow" or white thing...it will be a people thing.

tinkerbell
November 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM
As you know, we now have our first black president. Kind of. Barack Obama has one white parent and one black parent.
If we look back to slave times,There was the One drop rule..One drop of black blood, you are considered black. Basically the rule was there to give slave owners the ability to enslave biracial offspring.. The rule sorta still stands...A Black/White Biracial child is this country is still considered Black..
When A person looks at a Biracial person, usually they see a black person.. So regardless of white, black, blue or brown home life and upbringing...The world sees a Black Man, the world treats him like a Black American.

Anyway, it makes me wonder if and when the US will have its first fully black president. Possibly never..There are very few Pure Blooded 100% Blacks in the US.

So, after Obama, will it just go back to the trend of white, Protestant Christian males? I suppose my point is, is it reasonable, or supported by history, to expect an unusual "first" to start a trend of more diverse presidents, or is it just an anomaly that will not be repeated for quite a long time, if ever?
Who cares...Hopefully America's New Trend is to Elect the person best for the job.

Mr. Hyde
November 7th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I suppose my point is, is it reasonable, or supported by history, to expect an unusual "first" to start a trend of more diverse presidents, or is it just an anomaly that will not be repeated for quite a long time, if ever?

Definitely a continual anomaly. A random systemic occurrence which, while unpalpable, is inherently unavoidable. Before the current "One" there were five others (Kennedy the Roman Catholic, Truman the never went to college guy, Lincoln the came from nothing guy, Quincy Adams the first descended from a president guy, and Washington the first war hero guy). And while each had there, misgivings, the function of the "one" has always been performed flawlessly as programmed (by the Constitution.exe). The function of "The One" is a choice. Either to lead into a new generation, signified by the door on the right. Or, to doom the system to oblivion, signified by the door on the left. THe problem, as you so eloquently put it, is choice.