PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Jackson

swallowingtea
November 15th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Thoughts?

Before he was president, he ignored the orders of his president.
He ignored the Supreme Court's rulings on Georgia's treatment of the Cherokee.
Developed contradicting Native American policies, failed to follow through on his promises, and tore cultures apart.

What did he do that was good?? Or, how can anyone justify these actions?

Scarlett44
November 20th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I can't see where Andrew Jackson did anything inherently "good", politically speaking, and I still have no idea why his image is on the 20 dollar bill.

I think his actions concerning the treatment of the Cherokees were immoral and inhumane, although he did adopt an orphaned Cherokee boy.
The adoption of the orphaned Indian boy is the only thing he did, that I would personally consider "good".

Other than that, I cannot justify any of his actions.

cds69
November 20th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Andrew Jackson was the most scandalous President ever elected. His actions make the scandals of Bush 43, Clinton, and Nixon look like overdue library book fines.

HeloDollyLlama
January 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Jackson invented presidential politics. He launched a wide range of political innovations, to include building a national political party, fundraising, amassing voter lists, slogans, songs, pamphlets, posters, parades, barbecue parties, dinners, rallies, and product merchandising.

Fundin
February 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM
I disagree. Although he did awful things to the cherokee indians there have been far worse presidents in regards to Indian Affairs.

Jackson is the only President ever to get the United States compleltly out of debt. He also disbanded the central bank which had started to strangle and control of the US economy (only to reappear under the guise of the federal reserve).

Personally I think he's done far more good than bad. Unlike Bush who has brought our country to a very fascist state and Clinton who rejected the Taliban's offer of detaining Osama Bin Ladin.

If we want to talk about crimes against the Indian what about FDR, Andrew Johnson and U.S. Grant to name a few.