PDA

View Full Version : Double Standard: one gender colleges

Zhavric
October 7th, 2004, 05:06 AM
This thread is based on this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/10/06/womens.college.ap/index.html

How many times have we seen women protesting men's colleges to be allowed enrollment... but when a college decides to admit men, the women are up in arms.

Complete double standard.

KevinBrowning
October 7th, 2004, 06:32 AM
This thread is based on this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/EDUCATION/10/06/womens.college.ap/index.html

How many times have we seen women protesting men's colleges to be allowed enrollment... but when a college decides to admit men, the women are up in arms.

Complete double standard.

Weird. Unless they're mostly homophiles, it seems they'd want to have some males in their classes.

Zhavric
October 7th, 2004, 06:57 AM
A lot of female and male students sing the praises of one-gender classrooms because they are not distracted by flirtatious / romantic complications. It's not about "homophiles" at all.

Nor is it the point.

The point is that women have been protesting to get IN to male schools / make them integrated. For them to protest to keep men OUT of schools / keep them segregated strikes me as hypocritical.

KevinBrowning
October 7th, 2004, 07:04 AM
A lot of female and male students sing the praises of one-gender classrooms because they are not distracted by flirtatious / romantic complications. It's not about "homophiles" at all.

Nor is it the point.

The point is that women have been protesting to get IN to male schools / make them integrated. For them to protest to keep men OUT of schools / keep them segregated strikes me as hypocritical.

Yes, it is hypocritical. But it seems they could have some males in their classes and still be able to concentrate. They're making themselves look not only hypocritical, but too mentally weak to ignore a fully-clothed male while trying to learn something.

Fyshhed
October 7th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Yes, it is hypocritical. But it seems they could have some males in their classes and still be able to concentrate. They're making themselves look not only hypocritical, but too mentally weak to ignore a fully-clothed male while trying to learn something.
Who said anything about fully clothed?
;)

Galendir
October 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM
The point is that women have been protesting to get IN to male schools / make them integrated. For them to protest to keep men OUT of schools / keep them segregated strikes me as hypocritical.It's only hypocritical if they are the same women.

Iluvatar
October 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
It's only hypocritical if they are the same women.
A valid point. Much like the many allegations of liberals and conservatives against each other, you cannot fault an entire group for the actions of a few.

but too mentally weak to ignore a fully-clothed male while trying to learn something.Well, many men have just that problem with women, I think it may be a valid complaint ;)

I really don't see the cause of their protests, though. They are not in charge of the school, they really have no say in what decisions it makes. There will probably always be a few all female schools, since there is obviously a demand for them.