PDA

View Full Version : LOTR: Theatrical vs Special Editions

emtee10
October 10th, 2004, 07:04 PM
This thread is aimed primarily to the crazy, over-obsessed fans of The Lord of the Rings (the book as well as the movie trilogy), like myself. If you are such a fan, you probably know that there are two versions of each movie, the theatrical edition (shown in theatres and available on dvd) and the special extended edition (available only on DVD). My question is this: Which version of each film is better, and why?* Which had better pacing, character development, etc? Is it possible to say that one version is definitely better than another?

* Since the special edition of The Return of the King is not yet available, it is obviously not yet able to be compared.

While I adore the theatrical editions, I find myself more drawn to the special extended editions. I feel that the added scenes help to make a more balanced movie, and add alot of important character development and plot depth. The fact that the movies are absurdly long does not bother me at all. I find myself counting down the weeks until December 14th, when the last film is available in its extended form, so that I may finally be able to complete my LOTR experience.

What does everyone else think?

KevinBrowning
October 10th, 2004, 07:47 PM
This thread is aimed primarily to the crazy, over-obsessed fans of The Lord of the Rings (the book as well as the movie trilogy), like myself. If you are such a fan, you probably know that there are two versions of each movie, the theatrical edition (shown in theatres and available on dvd) and the special extended edition (available only on DVD). My question is this: Which version of each film is better, and why?* Which had better pacing, character development, etc? Is it possible to say that one version is definitely better than another?

* Since the special edition of The Return of the King is not yet available, it is obviously not yet able to be compared.

While I adore the theatrical editions, I find myself more drawn to the special extended editions. I feel that the added scenes help to make a more balanced movie, and add alot of important character development and plot depth. The fact that the movies are absurdly long does not bother me at all. I find myself counting down the weeks until December 14th, when the last film is available in its extended form, so that I may finally be able to complete my LOTR experience.

I haven't seen any of the extended editions, but many people seem to think they improve the movies quite a bit, so I'll probably check them out eventually.

emtee10
October 10th, 2004, 07:49 PM
I haven't seen any of the extended editions, but many people seem to think they improve the movies quite a bit, so I'll probably check them out eventually.

If you consider yourself an LOTR fan, then I highly recommend that you see them some time. Just be warned: they are very, very long movies.

KevinBrowning
October 10th, 2004, 08:02 PM
If you consider yourself an LOTR fan, then I highly recommend that you see them some time. Just be warned: they are very, very long movies.

Yeah, I consider myself a LotR fan, but just a casual one. I have read the books, and The Hobbit, though. I'm still curious about the extra footage, though, so I'll definitely see them sometime.

ShadowKnight
October 10th, 2004, 08:30 PM
I've been meaning to get those extended versions, but with college, it's nearly impossible to commit time.

Fyshhed
October 10th, 2004, 08:49 PM
I've been meaning to get those extended versions, but with college, it's nearly impossible to commit time.
Money. You mean money. ;)

emtee10
October 10th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Money. You mean money

Ya, they aren't cheap. They're about $40 CDN each here in Canada. However, for the hardcore fans like me, they're worth every penny, and then some.

KevinBrowning
October 10th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Ya, they aren't cheap. They're about $40 CDN each here in Canada. However, for the hardcore fans like me, they're worth every penny, and then some.

I'm not sure what the Canadian dollar is worth compared with the American dollar, but I have a feeling they're cheaper here.

ShadowKnight
October 10th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Money. You mean money. ;)

alas, you are correct, i'm puerto rican, i would have to hit the lottery to afford it (which is my retirement plan).

KevinBrowning
October 10th, 2004, 09:16 PM
alas, you are correct, i'm puerto rican, i would have to hit the lottery to afford it (which is my retirement plan).

You'll never retire. You'll work as an indentured servant on a plantation till the end of your days.

emtee10
October 10th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I'm not sure what the Canadian dollar is worth compared with the American dollar, but I have a feeling they're cheaper here.

It can be pre-ordered on the New Line Cinema online store for $29.95.

Also, XE.com states that $1 US = $1.25277 CDN, so it's technically cheaper in the USA.

Fortunately, I have a magical coupon.

emtee10
October 10th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Here's a link to an online preview for the special edition of the first movie, for all who are interested:

http://a1968.g.akamai.net/5/1968/51/9cd6d35dbf6af5/1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb12453c0 2589f25382f668c9329e0375e81785ea61cd36a40938a41385 e948b71d7cf058bd1c8ef765cc3f/lotr-enhanced_dvd_320.mov

TwentyOne
October 11th, 2004, 05:13 AM
I think that's the problem that a lot of people have with the extended versions. I got the extended version of Fellowship for my birthday and exchanged it for the theatrical version because i knew the extended would be way too long for me to sit through more than once. I would like to see the extended version at one point, but as for owning it i think it would be too time consuming. Saying that i have to say that i've never read the books, so i don't see anything missing in the theatrical versions, maybe i would prefer the extended versions if i had read the books.

Zhavric
October 11th, 2004, 05:31 AM

Just before Return of the King hit theatres, a local movie theatre played the extended versions of Fellowship and Two Towers on their giant state of the art uber-screen with mega-surround sound. It was cooler than cool. Yes they are long. They are, however, worth sitting through. Yes everyone needs to get up and pee after about two hours of movie. However, I reject the idea that a film HAS to be 2 hours long. I believe they should be able to be longer or shorter. The extended versions add depth and texture to both films and help clear up some plot holes... For example, if I had never read the books, then it wouldn't make any sense in the movie for Frodo to suddenly know that Golum used to be called Smeagol(sp?). But, in the extended version of Fellowship, we see Gandalf tell Frodo about Golum's past (albeit briefly).

emtee10
October 11th, 2004, 11:27 AM
I think that's the problem that a lot of people have with the extended versions. I got the extended version of Fellowship for my birthday and exchanged it for the theatrical version because i knew the extended would be way too long for me to sit through more than once. I would like to see the extended version at one point, but as for owning it i think it would be too time consuming. Saying that i have to say that i've never read the books, so i don't see anything missing in the theatrical versions, maybe i would prefer the extended versions if i had read the books.

I own the extended versions instead of the theatrical versions, and I have found that once you sit through them a couple of times, you don't notice the difference in length. Furthermore, I have seen the special features on the theatrical DVD, and have found that the special ediion features are far superior. Also, regardless of whether or not you have read the books, the extra footage found in the special edition will definitely enhance the LOTR experience, at least in my opinion.

Just before Return of the King hit theatres, a local movie theatre played the extended versions of Fellowship and Two Towers on their giant state of the art uber-screen with mega-surround sound. It was cooler than cool.

And I shall be eternally envious. I've heard rumours, though, that some theatres will be showing all three special editions back-to-back once The Return of the King special edition is available. That would be even cooler.

The extended versions add depth and texture to both films and help clear up some plot holes... For example, if I had never read the books, then it wouldn't make any sense in the movie for Frodo to suddenly know that Golum used to be called Smeagol(sp?). But, in the extended version of Fellowship, we see Gandalf tell Frodo about Golum's past (albeit briefly).

I definitely agree that the extended versions add much more depth (particularly in the character development) and that some continuity errors are fixed. Other examples include:

WARNING: POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD

- In The Two Towers, when Aragorn finds Pippin's elven brooch and says, "Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." This would not make sense if you have not seen the scene in the extended edition in which the fellowship receives gifts from Galadriel.

- In The Return of the King, when Merry and Pippin are found eating and smoking at Isengard. This would not make sense without the scene where they find Saruman's storeroom.

There are others as well, but you get the idea.

TwentyOne
October 12th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I own the extended versions instead of the theatrical versions, and I have found that once you sit through them a couple of times, you don't notice the difference in length. Furthermore, I have seen the special features on the theatrical DVD, and have found that the special ediion features are far superior. Also, regardless of whether or not you have read the books, the extra footage found in the special edition will definitely enhance the LOTR experience, at least in my opinion.
I'll have to check out the extended versions.

Andacanavar
October 12th, 2004, 09:17 PM
The 3 pack EE will be $77.98 in the US. Comes out December 14th! Woo hoo!

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000654ZK0/qid=1097644598/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-6421709-1224818?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846)

KevinBrowning
January 8th, 2005, 11:34 PM
I recently got all three Extended Editions, and I must say I'm pleased. I haven't watched the third one yet (which I've read has the most extra footage: 50 minutes), which although awesome I'm sure, should be a bit painful, considering the infinite endings, but I've enjoyed the first two greatly. For example, I knew Aragorn was of kingly heritage, but not that he had some elf blood in him, causing him to have longer than usual life. As of the Two Towers, we find out that he's 87 years old. Now, I don't recall many details from the books, but I'm sure Tolkien mentioned this. However, this extra scene from the second film is a great example of the added depth that a few dozen more minutes of extended and new scenes can add for both avid and casual fans.

Fyshhed
January 9th, 2005, 09:40 AM
The 3 pack EE will be $77.98 in the US. Comes out December 14th! Woo hoo!

Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000654ZK0/qid=1097644598/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/002-6421709-1224818?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846)
I saw it for nearly twice that in stores...

Meng Bomin
January 9th, 2005, 09:47 AM
I saw it for nearly twice that in stores... Hmm...must be Massachusetts pricing. At the local Barnes and Noble, it cost $79.99