PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Computer Geeks.....HELP....PLEASE...!!

Scarlett44
February 26th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I haven't been online for almost a week, because of computer issues.
As we speak, I am on a library computer.

I had a wireless adapter installed on my computer (D-Link AirPlus Extreme G) last week, and ever since then I can't access the net through Internet Explorer.
Every time I try to open IE, the page displays an error message.

The message says "This page cannot be displayed", or "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage."

I have Windows XP Home Edition installed on my system, and it has never given me any problems up until now.

The computer store where I had the adapter installed can't figure out what's wrong, either.
After almost a week, I'm ready to throw in the towel and buy a laptop.

I've tried disabling the wireless adapter, but that doesn't seem to help.

Oh, and something else, too......

My computer now takes forever to power up, and reboots over and over without warning.

AARGGHH......:craz:
Does anyone have any ideas about what's wrong, or about what I should do to fix my system?????

ladyphoenix
February 26th, 2009, 06:35 AM
You're so not giving me enough information here...

How do you connect to the internet? Do you have a modem connected to a router? Do you connect wirelessly or jack in?

Scarlett44
February 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I'm connecting with an installed wireless card, a network adaptor (D-Link), and a router with encryption key.

My actual connection to the net is working properly, but I can't access the Internet Explorer program.
When I try to access it, the error page is displayed.

The personnel at the store that installed the adapter, seem to think that it's a software or hard drive error that occured because of said installation.

However, these incompetants can't seem to figure out how to fix it...:tickedoff:

ladyphoenix
February 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM
So... You can get on the internet but can't use IE? That's rather confusing.

Jamie
February 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM
So you can make a connection with any other program BUT internet explorer? You can log onto yahoo, or say... ping from your command prompt? I'm not entirely sure how the software for your wireless card would do that but I digress. So... Ok, if they feel it's the wireless card why not uninstall it and see what happens with a direct connection? It takes like...two minutes to uninstall the software. I'm assuming you're using windows xp. Right click on my computer, select manage, click on device manager on the left hand side. That will bring up a menu on the right hand side. Look for network adapters...it's all alphabetically listed... Right click on the wireless driver and select uninstall. Reboot and hook up directly via cat5.

ladyphoenix
February 26th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Jamie... I'm only assuming this, because she opted to connect wirelessly in the first place... But I'm betting she doesn't have an on-board network adapter... otherwise, the idiot who advised her to connect wirelessly needs to be shot.

Even then, if she can connect to the internet just fine wirelessly, I would say it's an IE problem, not a hardware problem. I'd check the internet settings on IE and make sure she's not accidentally clicked the box that tries to route you though a proxy. That crap happens when I connect directly and not through the proxy at work knowing IE expects me to be behind a proxy...

Anyhow, that's just my two cents. ;)

Jamie
February 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Jamie... I'm only assuming this, because she opted to connect wirelessly in the first place... But I'm betting she doesn't have an on-board network adapter... otherwise, the idiot who advised her to connect wirelessly needs to be shot.

I have no doubt that the guy who installs it needs to be shot. I have a suspicion that he didn't try a direct connection.

I would say it's an IE problem, not a hardware problem. I'd check the internet settings on IE and make sure she's not accidentally clicked the box that tries to route you though a proxy. That crap happens when I connect directly and not through the proxy at work knowing IE expects me to be behind a proxy...

Which begs the question... Why was he in her lan settings? I'm more convinced that her internet connection is completely gone and is unable to use anything that requires a connection, and that Scarlett didn't mean to imply other programs were working.

So I am still going with software issue with the wireless card.

DevilPup John
February 26th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I'm connecting with an installed wireless card, a network adaptor (D-Link), and a router with encryption key.

My actual connection to the net is working properly, but I can't access the Internet Explorer program.

The personnel at the store that installed the adapter, seem to think that it's a software or hard drive error that occured because of said installation.

However, these incompetants can't seem to figure out how to fix it...:tickedoff:

If you can establish a connection to the internet, then the internet is not the problem, nor is it the hardware. Sometimes installing new hardware can change configs on your computers.

Try the following:

Check your firewall and make sure IE was not some how blocked. Sometimes programs can mysteriously end up getting blocked.

Also if some software came with the hardware you installed make sure you have given access to the programs you want to use. Some wireless connection hardware comes with fancy software that allows you to further access the internet (or block certain things). Also check the hardware by right clicking "My Computer" going to "Properties" and then "Device Manager". Find your network connection card on there (it should come up in the list as the name) under Network Connections. Once you find the hardware, update the drivers.

Also check the properties of IE and see if your XP account (the one you log in under) has full control of IE.

I have not used XP in a while, but also check to see if the program is able to run under other accounts besides the admin account. If other accounts are on the computer (boy friends, fathers, brothers, sisters, whatever...) they may have accidentally denied access to non admin accounts.

If the problem persists I will need some more info, and will also need to access a computer with XP so I can give you specifics of what to do step by step. Vista is slightly (but significantly) different from XP.

If that does not work, and you just want to quit then I recommend this. Buy a little flash drive. Go to the library and download Mozilla Firefox, BUT DO NOT INSTALL IT ON THAT LIBRARY COMPUTER! Save that zip file (the install software) on your removable disk drive (flash drive). Take that disk drive home, put it in your computer, and install Firefox. If Firefox does not work, we have a whole list of other problems to explore. If the library wont let you download that install file, then find a friend with a computer and ask them.

If you need clarification on anything let me know.

Jamie
February 26th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Also, the other reason it *seems* to be software related is the way she says her computer is acting...Booting back up is slow, and the random reboots.

DevilPup John
February 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Also, the other reason it *seems* to be software related is the way she says her computer is acting...Booting back up is slow, and the random reboots.

Yes, that is odd. The installation of the network card could have very well thrown the computer out of whack a little, and changed some configs.

Whenever you install new hardware, the computer seriously changes its "way of thinking".

If the solutions I offered do not work (I recommend trying the Mozilla Option at the library or friends house. If that does not work, I would go back to the set up you had when the computer worked meaning remove the card), I would uninstall the wireless card, and try this wireless solution:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=LinkSys+Wireless&cid=6706243103814026128&sa=title#ps-sellers

Its an external wireless device, and I have never had problems using it in the past. Although I no longer use wireless internet, it is too unreliable, I would recommend that over actually installing a wireless card. Be forewarned though, you must already have a wireless router set up in your home to use it (as is the case with any wireless device). I say that, only because some people do not know that.

Scarlett44
February 26th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Thanks so much everyone, for all the info....!!!!
I'm going to try some of these things, and let you know how it goes....:afro:

ladyphoenix
February 26th, 2009, 10:26 AM
If that does not work, and you just want to quit then I recommend this. Buy a little flash drive. Go to the library and download Mozilla Firefox, BUT DO NOT INSTALL IT ON THAT LIBRARY COMPUTER! Save that zip file (the install software) on your removable disk drive (flash drive). Take that disk drive home, put it in your computer, and install Firefox. If Firefox does not work, we have a whole list of other problems to explore. If the library wont let you download that install file, then find a friend with a computer and ask them. That's EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, once I got a little more information...

I'm still, like Jamie, not convinced that she has an internet connection at all. I don't think IE is the problem. ;) But we'll see.

Aspoestertjie
February 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I use a 3G connection, which too is wireless. Sometimes I run into the same problem.

The advice everyone gave you up to now is excellent, but one other thing they didn't mention is poor connectivity/connection.

Whenever the signal of the wireless is low, I sometimes get the same problem with IE. It can be that your proxy settings is the problem, and even more, it can be that the card/wireless connection they installed, is faulty.

Maybe they should install another one to test it, if all the other things fail.

Good luck Scarlett.

DevilPup John
February 26th, 2009, 01:26 PM
That's EXACTLY what I was going to suggest, once I got a little more information...

I'm still, like Jamie, not convinced that she has an internet connection at all. I don't think IE is the problem. ;) But we'll see.

Well it is possible to have an internet connection, but have a web browser, or some other internet software not work. It is usually because the firewall has blocked access.

She could very well have access to the internet, with Yahoo, AIM, video games, etc.

I always go with "ignore the program that does not work, and install another similar program. If the new program does not work, then we know the problem is deeper." Hopefully installing Mozilla will fix her issue.

evensaul
February 26th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Trying a different browser, such as Firefox or Slimbrowser, is a great idea.

Have you done a complete scan of your computer with up-to-date virus protection software? There are viruses that play havoc with Internet Explorer, cause long bootups, and some that cause sudden reboots.

If everything fails to resolve your problem...do you have the cd that came with your computer to reinstall Windows? Wiping the hard drive and re-installing windows is no fun, and you need to make sure any important files are saved somewhere else, but it is something you might consider.

Jamie
February 26th, 2009, 05:52 PM
God bless google chrome. :smitten:

thrashee
February 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM
So you CAN connect thru Chrome but not through IE?

Jamie
February 27th, 2009, 09:01 AM
No, Thrashee, I was just throwing in my two cents about browsers.

Dionysus
February 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM

However, these incompetants can't seem to figure out how to fix it...:tickedoff:You sure you don't have a virus or something? Have you tried to use IE to connect to another site besides whatever your homepage is? Some viruses will give you a "This page cannot be displayed" error because the virus block certain pages that could help you remove the virus (for example: I had a virus once that blocked the IE download page, and the Adaware download page).

thrashee
February 28th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Go to Start, then run. In the box that pops up, type in "cmd". A black console window will display.

Type in "ping www.yahoo.com -n 4"

If you get anything that looks like:

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=53
Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=77ms TTL=53
Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=67ms TTL=53
Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=66ms TTL=53

then your internet connection is ok, you're communicating with yahoo.

If you get back any other type of reply, please post it here.

Scarlett44
March 3rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Attention all:
I have installed Mozilla Firefox per DevilPup's suggestion, and I can now access the web through that browser.
(THANKS, DEVILPUP...:afro:)

However, still have the random rebooting and slow start-ups.
I guess it could be a virus.

I have Spyware Doctor as an anti-virus, and it has not detected anything serious.

Does anyone know of a better anti-virus program I could use?

evensaul
March 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
I have Spyware Doctor as an anti-virus, and it has not detected anything serious.

From what I can tell, Spyware Doctor does not include virus protection. I suggest you download and install Norton Antivirus at www.norton.com, or purchase it locally at a Best Buy or other electronics store. Install, run the "Live Update" until it says there are no more updates, and then run a full system scan.

You say the system reboots. Does it actually restart by itself, or only shut down? If it is shutting down and not restarting, you may have a problem with the processor overheating. Solving that problem may only take blowing out all the dust from the air vents on the computer along with the fan/heatsink that sit above the processor on the motherboard.

After you've eliminated the virus possibility, if the computer continues shutting down and restarting by itself, you might try the following: Go to Start Menu / Settings / Control Panel / System / Start Up and Shut Down. Remove the check mark from the "Restart on System Failure". If it is a Windows problem, instead of rebooting, an error message should be displayed. Write down the message details so that it can be used to figure out what is causing the system failure.

Aspoestertjie
March 4th, 2009, 01:59 AM
I don't like Norton much. I prefer AVG. Norton slows down your computer.

ladyphoenix
March 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Personally, I use Zone Alarm Security Suite to take care of my anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall all wrapped into one. Even in this culture of software piracy (a culture I am very much a part of) I actually own a legitimate license for this software which I purchased myself. I've not had a virus for a couple of years, and it's a more effective firewall than the windows firewall.

You may want to try, at first, doing a live scan from a website, like Panda does, before deciding which antivirus program you want to go with. I do agree that Norton is a system resource hog. I'd certainly use anything but Norton. But that's just me.

Jamie
March 4th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Norton is psycho. I hear all the time that it cranks the security so high that it prevents internet access. I don't use a firewall, personally. I enable my windows firewall if I am doing something that I feel needs it enabled... I also use AVG free antivirus (and if you want the whole security suite I think it's $80/two year license). Never had a virus. I use windows defender as my spyware protection and never had an issue with it. Lots of people say great things about Avast and Bitdefender.

thrashee
March 4th, 2009, 10:48 AM
My personal recommendation: reinstall windows completely.

I know it sounds laborious, and it is, but in such cases where your computer is slow and doing really weird things, you're going to wind up searching for a needle in a haystack. Not to mention that over time, the Windows registry gets bloated and system performance naturally declines. The time it takes to back up all your important files, reformat your drive, and install programs to your liking will most likely be less than the time it will take you to find the problem.

DevilPup John
March 4th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Attention all:
I have installed Mozilla Firefox per DevilPup's suggestion, and I can now access the web through that browser.
(THANKS, DEVILPUP...:afro:)

However, still have the random rebooting and slow start-ups.
I guess it could be a virus.

No need to thank me.

As for your computers random reboots, it is most likely a virus, possibly a sever one.

Get AVG, thats what I use on my gaming PC and it works well. I have not had any problems with it.

If a new anti virus does not fix this problem, and you are low on money, I recommend re-installing windows.

That should at least help with the computers random reboots, and clear out some useless files.

But before you do that, try AVG. It tracks down viruses, and will even tell you where they are on your PC so you can remove them.

Now that I have read some posts, I can see a few others beat me to it.

Reinstalling windows may very well be the best option. BUT KEEP THAT MOZILLA INFO! That way if your IE does not work when you reinstall, you can install Mozilla and get your internet fix every day in the comfort of your own home.

For all you Anti Nortons, you have good reason to be. Its not bad software, but it makes it hard for gamers like me, and people who actually know what they are doing. But for your average user, or business, its a good program. But AVG does better in my opinion.

Scarlett44
March 10th, 2009, 04:10 PM
As for your computers random reboots, it is most likely a virus, possibly a sever one.

Get AVG, thats what I use on my gaming PC and it works well. I have not had any problems with it.

Reinstalling windows may very well be the best option. BUT KEEP THAT MOZILLA INFO! That way if your IE does not work when you reinstall, you can install Mozilla and get your internet fix every day in the comfort of your own home.

I think I have solved the problem...at least for now.
I just scraped up the money two days ago to get AVAST anti-virus, and the program discovered that I had a virus known as the "Trojan Horse."
From what I understand,the Trojan Horse virus reboots the system whenever you try to access the web through IE.

AVAST removed the virus, and now my system seems to be working fine...knock on wood...:lol:

If I have more problems, I have decided to just reinstall Windows, but I hope I won't have to do that.

As a side note...I really appreciate all the help and advice.
Thanks so much, everybody...:afro:

Dionysus
March 17th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Ah ha! I KNEW it!

Avast kicks ass. Been using it for years.

Scarlett44
March 26th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Dio, it's awesome....worth every penny....:afro:

Dionysus
March 26th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Dio, it's awesome....worth every penny....:afro:I'm puzzled as to why you had to pay for it. :huh:

Avast! has been absolutely free for years (http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html).