PDA

View Full Version : The Baha'i Faith

Darrick Even
October 20th, 2004, 06:34 PM
The Baha'i Faith is an independent World Religion with about 6 million adherents worldwide. It was founded by two Persian Muslims in 1844:

Siyyid Muhammad Ali Shirazi ("The Bab")

Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri ("Baha'u'llah")

Baha'is see The Bab as the modern John the Baptist.
Baha'is see Baha'u'llah as the Return of Christ in the Glory of God the Father.

The Baha'i Faith is based upon the Revelations of three Messengers of God:

Muhammad
The Bab
Baha'u'llah

These are the "Three Angels" mentioned in the Book of Revelations.

Baha'is believe that BAHA'U'LLAH (which means "The Glory of God" in Arabic) is the promised "Spirit of Truth". He is the Messenger of God for our age. His dispensation will last exactly 1000 solar years, then another Messenger of God will come.

Baha'is believe that Jesus is the virgin-born Son of God, the "Very Savior of Mankind", and the "Lord of Being" and "the Lord of the Visible and the Invisible". His death on the Cross "sanctified the souls of sinners". Jesus was the Manifestation of GOD THE SON on earth. Baha'u'llah is the Manifestations of GOD THE FATHER on earth.

Baha'is believe that the Baha'i Faith is mentioned in the Bible as the "City of God" which descends from Heaven with 12 Gates, and 12 Foundationstones. The 12 Gates represent the 12 Messengers of God: Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Krishna, Buddha, Zoroaster, Jesus, Muhammad, The Bab, and Baha'u'llah.

Baha'is believe in the Bible, the Qur'an, and the Holy Writings of the Faith (i.e. the tablets of The Bab, Baha'u'llah, and 'Abdu'l-Baha).

Baha'is believe that The Bab is the "return" of Muhammad, Baha'u'llah is the "return" of Jesus. Baha'u'llah fulfills the Christian hope of Jesus returning "in the glory of God the Father". The title BAHA'U'LLAH means "Glory of God the Father" in Arabic.

Both The Bab and Baha'u'llah performed many miracles, but Baha'is are forbidden to use such miracles as "proof" as their Prophethood.

Baha'is believe that the spirit came from God and will return to Him. Reincarnation is possible, but we live only one life on THIS particular planet. "Heaven" or "Hell" are creations of our own souls in the Afterlife. Hell is not literal fire, but mental anguish in the Afterlife. Spirits in the Afterlife can progress, so Hell is not eternal or unending.

The purpose of the Baha'i Faith is twofold:

1) To create the World Order of Baha'u'llah based upon 12 Foundations of World Unity. This is the "Millennial Reign" and the "City of New Jerusalem" mentioned in the Bible. This will create the "Most Great Peace" whereby Humanity will be saved from self-destruction.

2) To prepare out souls for the Afterlife journey through the Worlds of God.

The 19 Basics of the Baha'i Faith:
http://www.geocities.com/darrickevenson/19Basics.html

If you'd like to receive FREE Baha'i literature mailed to you (nothing to buy), or go to a free Baha'i Informational Meeting near you home, then call:
1-800-22-UNITE (24 hour hotline if you live in the U.S. except Alaska and Hawaii)

Dionysus
October 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM
What is the subject you'd like to debate based on this post?

Fyshhed
October 20th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Well I guess the various prophecies are fulfilled now. It was about time Jesus came back.

And yet he had gone unnoticed to so many? Or does Christianity self-propogate by the promise of no way to know when Jesus returns?

But why have such a silly name? :lol:

KevinBrowning
October 20th, 2004, 08:26 PM
The Baha'i Faith is an independent World Religion with about 6 million adherents worldwide. It was founded by two Persian Muslims in 1844:

Siyyid Muhammad Ali Shirazi ("The Bab")

Mirza Husayn Ali Nuri ("Baha'u'llah")

Baha'is see The Bab as the modern John the Baptist.
Baha'is see Baha'u'llah as the Return of Christ in the Glory of God the Father.

The Baha'i Faith is based upon the Revelations of three Messengers of God:

Muhammad
The Bab
Baha'u'llah

These are the "Three Angels" mentioned in the Book of Revelations.

That's interesting, but why are you spreading Bahai information just for the sake of it, if you're a Mormon?

RTShatto
October 20th, 2004, 08:34 PM
I think hes just posting so we can have some background on it just in case it comes up in a debate later on.

Zhavric
October 21st, 2004, 06:19 AM
Another good reference for Bahai or any other religion can be found here.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/bahai.htm

Religioustolerance.org is a pretty cool site. Lots of ads and a not so focused set-up, but the information is fair and impartial. It's usually where I look when someone comes out of left field with a religion I know little to noting about.

However, the Bahai faith isn't one of those religions. While I was in early high school, my mother spent a year or three as a convert to the Bahai faith. Her main problem with it was that the religion has VERY few clergy members and even fewer churches. It was that lack of clergy... not having someone to go and talk to for advice... that saw my mother turn away from the faith. I still remember a thing or two from it. Nice people, Bahais.

Apokalupsis
October 21st, 2004, 08:15 AM
New religion to discuss, new problems to discuss. ;)

So Baha'u'llah = Jesus in his 2nd coming. Baha'u'llah lived from 1817-1892. The Bible is God's word according to the Baha'i.

According to the Bible, several dramatic and highly visible signs/events will accompany the Second Coming (Matthew 24:29). ALL will know that Jesus has returned, even unbelieveers. None of these signs were present when Baha'u'llah arrived on the scene. He also didn't show up in the right place. Scripture clearly indicates that at the Second Coming the Messiah will come to Jerusalem and his feet will physically touch the Mount of Olives (Zech. 14:4). Baha'u'llah never did this.

This is the first of hundreds of problems. ;) Since we don't know how much of a discussion will ensue concerning this topic...I'll limit it to just this one whopper right now and move one once this is resolved (if it truly can be).

Fyshhed
October 21st, 2004, 08:37 AM
This is the first of hundreds of problems. ;) Since we don't know how much of a discussion will ensue concerning this topic...I'll limit it to just this one whopper right now and move one once this is resolved (if it truly can be).
Well you know the prophecies better than I.

The thing is, how do you forsee them being fulfilled "when" they actually are? How do you expect everyone to know, even our spectacular communications networks leave many people who are in poverty or isolated in the dark as to when we catch Jesus on camera. Or is this an intuitive thing? Or is it just specific enough to have people believe it will happen, and vague enough that it never will?

Zhavric
October 21st, 2004, 09:10 AM
OMG!... That will teach me to glance through a thread. Let me clear up some misconceptions.

From Religioustolerance.org (http://www.religioustolerance.org/bahai3.htm) regarding the Baha'i faith:

God is transcendent and unknowable. However, He has sent, and will continue to send, great prophets to humanity, through which the Holy Spirit has revealed the "Word of God." The Great Manifestations of God up to this time have been:

1 Adam (? BCE)
2 Abraham (? BCE)
3 Moses (1456 BCE)
4 Krishna (1249 BCE)
5 Zoroaster (1000 BCE)
6 Buddha (757 BCE)
7 Jesus Christ (34 CE)
8 Mohammed (613 CE)
9 The Bab (1844 CE)
10 Baha'u'llah (1863 CE)

The Bahá'í's believe in an essential unity of the great religions of the world. However, this does not mean they believe the various religious creeds and doctrines are identical. Rather, they view all religions as having sprung from the same spiritual source. The social and outer forms of different religions vary due to the circumstances at the time that they were founded. Other differences in doctrine and belief can be attributed to later accretions, after the death of the founder.

So, it is NOT the case that any Baha'i believes that Baha'u'llah was the second coming of Christ, but rather another of god's prophets.

The Baha'i faith is a religion of tolerance that calls for social change and recognizes the worth of all human beings and all knowledge.

EDIT: If it is the case that you are skeptical of RT.com's claims, I invite you to find your chosen religion or philosophy and review the description listed there. I assert that their description is accurate, impartial, and unbiased for all religions including Baha'i.

Fyshhed
October 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM
So, it is NOT the case that any Baha'i believes that Baha'u'llah was the second coming of Christ, but rather another of god's prophets.

So it comes down to another method of putting off God's return. Only this method keeps peoples' interests by coming up with new prophets on occasion.

Did Christ say anything about being the son of God making him the last prophet? That all prophets are false, or just some of them? Anyone care to clarify?

Zhavric
October 21st, 2004, 10:37 AM
The Baha'i actually have criteria to discern prophets from,well... not-prophets. No, I don't remember what the criteria are, but I'm sure with a little google magic you could find it.

Make no mistake, though: If someone put a gun to my head and said, "You ABSOLUTELY MUST choose a religion RIGHT NOW." I would choose to be a Baha'i. They have a message of tolerance, equal rights, and dignity. Their attitude utterly eliminates the conflicts between Christianity and Islam. I have a lot of respect for the religion...

... it's still mumbo-jumbo, but it's respectable mumbo-jumbo.

Fyshhed
October 21st, 2004, 02:20 PM
The Baha'i actually have criteria to discern prophets from,well... not-prophets. No, I don't remember what the criteria are, but I'm sure with a little google magic you could find it.

Make no mistake, though: If someone put a gun to my head and said, "You ABSOLUTELY MUST choose a religion RIGHT NOW." I would choose to be a Baha'i. They have a message of tolerance, equal rights, and dignity. Their attitude utterly eliminates the conflicts between Christianity and Islam. I have a lot of respect for the religion...

... it's still mumbo-jumbo, but it's respectable mumbo-jumbo.
Pity the ones without conversion-by-sword don't have as powerful bait ;)