PDA

View Full Version : Spell Checker

Andacanavar
October 27th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Apok, is there any way to encode a spellchecker into vB?

Curious because sometimes I try to use the big words and know what they mean, but gosh darn it, I just can't seem to type the letters right. :D

Apokalupsis
October 27th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Yes, we've talked about this before. The general consensus in the community, is that they do not want one. I'm always willing to add new features if the community wants/enjoys it....but this has been discussed already a while back. Not sure if anyone has changed their mind since then though...

Vorketh
October 27th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Ehh.... we use so many wurds taht we jsut make up. Like kewl, or sup, or Apok, adn stuff like that. Why do ew need a speell checker?

Lol

mrs_innocent
October 27th, 2004, 10:48 AM
I don't know if I ever posted on it before, but I don't like the idea. Vorketh makes a good point: there are so many words used here that aren't necessarily "words", a spell checker would just be a nuisance. On the other hand, if it were able to be integrated as an "optional" tool (similar to the spelling/grammar check on Word), where each user could check their own spelling as needed, I might be more comfortable with that. Just a thought.

PallidaMors
October 27th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I was just mentioning this to someone else...If you type up your post in Word beforehand, it will of course grammar and spellcheck it for you. THen its super easy to cut and paste into the thread. Takes about 5 extra seconds on your average post time. As you no doubt can tell from my posts, I am a fan of "The Heathen's Guide to Grammar, Vol II"

FruitandNut
October 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Where the heck has English English gone on the spell check options? - Now we have American English and European English. - Just where the hell do the English fit into the scheme of things these days? Perhaps English English needs an Avatar similar to Zhav's zilch sign.

ps. I was forgetting, there is also Vorketh English. :rolleyes: :red:

PallidaMors
October 27th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Havent you heard yet, FN?? We are stamping out English English in favor of Eubonics. Sorry you didn't get the memo!

Dionysus
October 27th, 2004, 11:39 AM
For IE users.

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

KneeLess
October 27th, 2004, 12:06 PM
I am agaisnt the spell checker. I've actually become a better speller without it, and I hope it will do the same for other people.

Dionysus
October 27th, 2004, 12:13 PM
I'm not against a spell checker so much as I'm against the butchery of the english language that has become so popular in the majority of Internet chat-houses. Spell checks are fine since some folks simply aren't wired-up to spell correctly on a regular basis.

Vorketh
October 27th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I'm not against a spell checker so much as I'm against the butchery of the english language that has become so popular in the majority of Internet chat-houses. Spell checks are fine since some folks simply aren't wired-up to spell correctly on a regular basis.
I agree... what bothers me more though is when people use that in their everyday SPEECH!!! I knew this kid here at college who literally walked around saying things like:

"BRB, yo, I g2g p0wnz0red by the toilet" or some crazy stuff like that, and I found it utterly annoying! True sign of immaturity is when someone has such a slight grasp of the English language, they feign knowledge through substitution... very sad.

Dionysus
October 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM
I agree... what bothers me more though is when people use that in their everyday SPEECH!!! I knew this kid here at college who literally walked around saying things like:

"BRB, yo, I g2g p0wnz0red by the toilet" or some crazy stuff like that, and I found it utterly annoying! True sign of immaturity is when someone has such a slight grasp of the English language, they feign knowledge through substitution... very sad.

Very sad indeed.

I think that's a bigger issue than having a spell checker. If a person is at least attempting to make a coherent sentence but can't spell, I think that's less of an issue than someone coming here and using typical Internet slop-speak.

Why penalize a guy when he's at least trying? Why NOT integrate a spell-checker? If someone is opposed to it, they don't have to USE it. No one's twisting your arm. If nothing else, when a person uses it, it will bring their errors to their attention and perhaps they'll see the mistake they've been making. It's much better than constantly having to interpret what a person <i>meant</i> to say because no one has the balls to say, "Hey, you misspelled "X" in your last post." A spell-checker would save people some embarrassment and improve the readability of the posts here, especially for newcomers who may be used to forums who have no form of linguistic quality control. I really don't buy into the perceived harm that a spell-checker would bring. I think the concerns are quite unfounded.

FruitandNut
October 27th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Text message shorthand is a nightmare/nitemare 2 me, is it 2 U? Stick all shorthand texters into Vorketh's arena.

PallidaMors
October 27th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Text message shorthand is a nightmare/nitemare 2 me, is it 2 U? Stick all shorthand texters into Vorketh's arena.
Agreed. If you are sitting at a full keyboard, TYPE OUT THE DAMN WORDS to your post. I am somewhat guilty of this myself, but I hardly ever do it in posts. Mostly in chat, sometimes in the shoutbox. I think Vorketh's Arena is going to be a popular place to send people/ideas from now on, dontcha think??? hehehe

FruitandNut
October 27th, 2004, 02:09 PM
I think even Vorky may find himself condemned to his own arena - I wonder if you or I would survive the blood drenched sand of Vorketh Maximus's Colloseum?

Iluvatar
October 27th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Well, I pity you poor windows using fools, who don't have an optional spell checker built into the operating system. I can spell check any place that I can type. :p

That said, I probably wouldn't need such a feature. As for the net-speak, I find it VERY annoying when certain people i know use it regularly in conversation. The only phrase I could see as understandable is "lol", as it has taken on a bit of meaning by itself.

I try to avoid abbreviations here in lengthy discourse, as it makes it harder to read clearly. I try to limit myself to lol, rofl, and lmao.

Vorketh
October 27th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Actually... Godlesspagan has converted me - NOT TO PAGANISM - but to thinking that maybe a spell-checker would be a nice tool - something that when you're all done typing, you hit the button, and it lets loose. An active one would be too cumbersome I think... I really only believe in acronyms or shorthand when it masks the presence of curse words, such as lmao, or wtf. So Apok, if you're up for it, a spell checker wouldn't be all that bad - I have caught myself posting and then realizing I added an extra 'P' to the word opinion...

To everyone else, I appreciate the liking you all take to my Arena - let is forever be used for bad ideas and their creators.

PallidaMors
October 27th, 2004, 04:19 PM
I second the motion for Vorketh's Arena to enter the international lexicon as a replacement for Ottowa, hell, damnation, and the toilet....i.e...places certain ideas and authors should visit. :p

FruitandNut
October 27th, 2004, 07:03 PM
What's wrong with your 'thunderbox' (Brit. military speak for a bog or toilet) or crapper (named after Sir Thomas Crapper, early purveyor of the flushing loo - and inspiration for the word crap), then, PM? Don't you feel flushed with success about it?

- Is Ottowa that bad as well?

Andacanavar
October 27th, 2004, 10:55 PM
What I'm basically all I'm saying is I wanted to see if it could be added in, like the "Post Preview" option.

KneeLess
October 29th, 2004, 01:19 PM
What I'm basically all I'm saying is I wanted to see if it could be added in, like the "Post Preview" option.
I didn't realize that was an option.