PDA

View Full Version : Staff Recruitment!

Aspoestertjie
August 26th, 2009, 11:35 PM
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:6o20WWGoa49V8M:http://www.magazineusa.com/images2/originals/cr_MCDrillInspectorRecruit.jpgODN is recruiting for new staff members again!

ODN experienced an influx of new members the past few months and we decided to give members the opportunity to apply.

All members are welcome to nominate members who they think will be good moderators in this thread.

Please nominate members that will meet the following requirements:-

1..Be a forum regular
2. Have been at the forum for over a month
3. Have a positive efficacious presence on Online Debate Network (this will ultimately be reflected in your post count and referrals)
be proactive

The following characteristics will be important when making your decision.

Moderators must be level headed and be able to see both sides of the coin.
They should be polite and helpful towards other members and give advice whenever needed and whenever possible.
Moderators should visit the forum each day, actively take part in discussions as often as possible, ideally once a day, setting a good example to the other members.
They should also take an active part in discussions between Moderators relating to the running of the forum.
Online Debate Network Forums Moderators have a responsibility to keep unsuitable content out of the forums as much as possible.
Moderators should frequently encourage member participation by posting in existing threads and starting new ones.

czahar
August 27th, 2009, 03:27 AM
Should we nominate members in this thread or will you create another one? If this one, I would like to nominate myself (if I'm aloud to do so), but also Allocutus, Dr. Gonzo, Swindall, and Elioticus.

Just Me
August 27th, 2009, 03:57 AM
Allo, Czah, and Eliott has my nominations..

Trendem
August 27th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Here is how the recruitment process will go: Members will nominate individuals whom they think will make good mods (you may volunteer to be a mod as well). The staff will look through the nominations and send out invitations to those with potential to apply for modship. They would probably be given some "interview questions" to answer as well. The staff will then decide who should be inducted into the team.

Note: If you want your nominations to be taken seriously, you are encouraged to give reasons to support why you think your nominees would make good mods. Simply listing names isn't very helpful.

Jamie
August 27th, 2009, 04:42 AM
I nominate Czahar. I've spoke to him on and off the board at ODN. He always seems, for the most part, to be cool and collected in his debates. Willing to look at debates and other situations with a level head. I think he would make an awesome contribution to the staff. :)

czahar
August 27th, 2009, 05:06 AM
Allocutus because of his knowledge of debate (the man is a damn lawyer, for God's sake), his politeness in dealing with virtually every opponent who crosses his path, and his enormous amount of activity on this site (he's almost up to 2,000 and he's been here for a shorter period of time than I).

Elioticus is extremely intelligent (especially considering his age) and has demonstrated his moderating skills in the Man Clan.

Swindall may be new to the Regs Forum but he has also proven himself to be a polite debater and intelligent.

Dr. Gonzo has also proven himself to be a very polite and intelligent debater(at least in my experience with him).

Finally - me. Like Elioticus, I already have some moderating experience as an assistant moderator in the Blue Room. As far as being unbiased goes, I don't think anyone, at least in a religious context, could be less biased than I. As a Satanist, I inhabit the netherworld between theist and atheist, being able to sympathize with both while belonging to neither (for those Christians who worry about my POV's being biased against them, I will gladly provide evidence on ODN where I have supported Christianity against atheism). I am certainly not a professional debater and I can think of plenty of people on this site who could run circles around me with their arguments, but I think I can carry at least of couple of rational thoughts, and will be able to represent ODN well. On a final note, I can also blow hot air with the best of them, as can be evinced by this speech of mine. :grin:

Aspoestertjie
August 27th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Allocutus because of his knowledge of debate (the man is a damn lawyer, for God's sake), his politeness in dealing with virtually every opponent who crosses his path, and his enormous amount of activity on this site (he's almost up to 2,000 and he's been here for a shorter period of time than I).

Elioticus is extremely intelligent (especially considering his age) and has demonstrated his moderating skills in the Man Clan.

Swindall may be new to the Regs Forum but he has also proven himself to be a polite debater and intelligent.

Dr. Gonzo has also proven himself to be a very polite and intelligent debater(at least in my experience with him).

Finally - me. Like Elioticus, I already have some moderating experience as an assistant moderator in the Blue Room. As far as being unbiased goes, I don't think anyone, at least in a religious context, could be less biased than I. As a Satanist, I inhabit the netherworld between theist and atheist, being able to sympathize with both while belonging to neither (for those Christians who worry about my POV's being biased against them, I will gladly provide evidence on ODN where I have supported Christianity against atheism). I am certainly not a professional debater and I can think of plenty of people on this site who could run circles around me with their arguments, but I think I can carry at least of couple of rational thoughts, and will be able to represent ODN well. On a final note, I can also blow hot air with the best of them, as can be evinced by this speech of mine. :grin:

Czahar, I don't think it is Elioticus, it is Eliotitus (http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/member.php?u=1572).

LiberalTruth
August 27th, 2009, 05:30 AM
JustMe, because she's levelheaded, pretty mellow about things, and she's good at actual debate. Eliot, for the same reasons -- he seems pretty calm and reasonable. Scarlett, because she's passionate about things, and still polite and reasonable.

I would suggest Allocutus, because he's a really good debater but if we're talking about "both sides of the coin"...there might be a problem.

I would like to just make it clear, that ideal mods can spell and are not hypocrites. I also think their argumentation should be rational, not riddled with impertinent attempts at condescension. That's pretty important.

Aspoestertjie
August 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM
I just summarize for easier reference later:-

Nominees are:

Czahar
Allocutus
Dr. Gonzo
Swindall
Eliotitus
JustMe
Scarlett

Thanks for the nominations this far.

Your participation is appreciated.

I agree with you LT, it is important that moderators should go that extra mile to set a good example.

If you believe that any of the people being nominated should not be granted the opportunity to be a moderator, you can feel free to raise it in pm with any of the current moderators.

Allocutus
August 27th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Thanks to all those who have mentioned my name.

I would nominate czahar. He's fair, intelligent, respectful and always willing to help. A pleasure to deal with, too.

The other candidates are also deserving and I wouldn't be unhappy to see any of them as our mods.

I would also volunteer myself. I think I do have sound debating skills and a thorough understanding of interpretation and application of rules (working as a prosecutor does help here a little). I'm a frequent visitor to ODN and would be proud to be able to assist this wonderful community. And yes, LT, I can always SEE both sides of the coin but I rarely argue both at the same time. I do tend to argue against theism for example, but I try to do this in a level-handed and respectful manner (despite occasional misunderstandings which can never be fully avoided in as adversarial a setting as debate).

Lord Infamous
August 27th, 2009, 06:31 AM
I'd go with Allo, Tarja, or czahar. :afro:

Dionysus
August 27th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Allocutus would be an outstanding Mod IMO. He's here all the time, and he's painfully objective. Star player, IMO.

Czahar has been a little sparce lately which causes me to question whether or not he ought to be a mod. He's quite capable, but there's been something of a history of having people on staff who are very inactive, or who become very inactive after becoming a mod. We need to mitigate that as much as possible. I think Czahar would ne a great moderator, but he might be too busy these days. Otherwise he'd certainly get a nod from me.

Lord Infamous
August 27th, 2009, 06:47 AM
How many members are actually going to become mods? 2, 3, 6, or what?

Trendem
August 27th, 2009, 06:54 AM
We have not decided on a number yet, but it should be closer to 2 than 6.

Squatch347
August 27th, 2009, 07:08 AM
Elio would make as good a candidate as any. He is exceptionally even handed and willing to admit mistakes (though they are rare). His posts are intelligent and well thought out my only concern would be the activity level (though it is just as likely we are paralleling in different forums).

To be honest I would like the job as well. I think my biases are well known, and that I am not above conceding a point when shown otherwise. I have worked on site recommendations in the past and have acted as a judge in several formal debates. Though there have certainly been passionate debates with many members, but many of my threads I believe show a dispassionate analysis of the facts.

In real life I have served as a judge on several occasions within Courts Martial and have been involved in complicated dispute resolutions as a company commander. I have been active and hope to have served in a positive manner within the forums.

Aspoestertjie
August 27th, 2009, 07:09 AM

We have not agreed on the number of moderators we will be appointing.

Trendem already explained the procedure. There are many factors we will be considering and not all of the people being nominated will agree to it. Some might be very busy. I know Scarlett was nominated at a previous selection process as welll, but due to commitments and time constraints couldn't accept the responsibility.

Those that do make it needs to understand that it will be expected from them to be here at least once a day. That doesn't mean you may not have your occasional off time. I am actually on a mini vacation (but due to my addiction is still here :evil:).

ODN should be a passion for you and not be seen as extra work load. If you know you have lots of time constraints, stress and additional pressure in your 'real' life, it is best not to accept the nomination.

If every moderator give their co-operation, moderating is a breeze. It can however bring along additional stress if you are left moderating alone when other moderators are on vacation (which doesn't happen often). In such cases you will need to make sound decisions on your own, which can be quite nerve racking for a new moderator.

I am however sure that most of the members nominated will be able to cope quite well and will enjoy the challenge very much.

The Great Khan
August 27th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I'll go with Alloc. He's produced several well thought out and well reasoned arguments on all the threads I've seen him post on. I've learned a lot about debate from his posts, and I think he'd make an excellent addition to the staff.

tinkerbell
August 27th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I nominate Jamie..She has been a long standing active member and keeps her cool.

Dionysus
August 27th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Elio would make as good a candidate as any. He is exceptionally even handed and willing to admit mistakes (though they are rare). His posts are intelligent and well thought out my only concern would be the activity level (though it is just as likely we are paralleling in different forums).

To be honest I would like the job as well. I think my biases are well known, and that I am not above conceding a point when shown otherwise. I have worked on site recommendations in the past and have acted as a judge in several formal debates. Though there have certainly been passionate debates with many members, but many of my threads I believe show a dispassionate analysis of the facts.

In real life I have served as a judge on several occasions within Courts Martial and have been involved in complicated dispute resolutions as a company commander. I have been active and hope to have served in a positive manner within the forums.I second Squatch's self-nomination, for reasons he specified, and to have a theist nominee.

Allocutus
August 27th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I second Squatch's self-nomination, for reasons he specified, and to have a theist nominee.

I third that.

Squatch347
August 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM
An addition to my earlier post: Allo would make an excellent mod as well, though I have agreed with him all of once I believe, he is responsible, fair and though biased (he is an atheist of course ;-) I kid) he is logical and active. All around great mod.

Swindall
August 27th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I nominate Czahar, Alloctus and Jamie.

thegreenape
August 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I'd like un-nominate Allo.

He's a one-side'n, southern hemispherin', know-it-all'n, athiest-lovin', beer-drinkin', puttin'-people-to-jail jerk.

DevilPup John
August 27th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Well I do not normally get involved in this stuff but some names come up that I think would be fair mods.

Squatch: you have to love a guy who has the testicular fortitude to nominate himself. But in all seriousness I have always found him to be a level headed individual capable of putting aside his bias and listening (or in this case reading) what someone has to say.

Dr. Gonzo: I have always found him to be up front and honest, something every moderator team has (that is me on my gaming clans site) to have. He is not someone who seems timid or afraid to tell a rule breaker to back off. Plus, Gonzo, who does not love Gonzo?

Other than that I have never had much contact with the others; contact meaning engaged them in posts (more than a few), or through some other means on the site.

My recommendation means nothing, but hey I like to hear myself talk.:afro:

Allocutus
August 27th, 2009, 08:50 AM
I'd like un-nominate Allo.

He's a one-side'n, southern hemispherin', know-it-all'n, athiest-lovin', beer-drinkin', puttin'-people-to-jail jerk.

Thank you :grin:

thegreenape
August 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Thank you :grin:

Anytime.

-----------

On a more serious note...while he may not need anymore, I definitely support Allo. His professional life adds a lot of credibility to a moderating position. And I think he's proven himself as a sensible, level-headed person. And his debating voracity is impressive..though a bit sad ;): juuuuuust kidding.

daman
August 27th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Allo and Squatch. I believe they would bring a good balance to the community.

Rogue Cardinal
August 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Allo, czahar, eliotitus....

Dr Gonzo
August 27th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Allo - for the obvious and well stated reasons.

Czahar - even though he's not that active lately, the word "level" describes him to a T.

Ibelsd - his biases are well known as well, but I see fairness in his posts. He will neg a conservative faster than most liberals for plain out bad debate or faulty logic.

I would also like to withdraw my name from nomination. Unless there is some great outcry for me to be a mod (which I don't expect), I don't want the responsibility of not being able to sling mud if it's called for. Basically, I'm not ready to step up - I'm having too much fun down in the trenches:sly:

And for the record, I'm "Dr Gonzo," with no period after Dr. "Dr. Gonzo" is the old economist guy who has been inactive for quite a while now.

Just Me
August 27th, 2009, 10:06 AM
JustMe, because she's levelheaded, pretty mellow about things, and she's good at actual debate.
Thank you LT..

However, as much as I appreciate it, I would like to politely withdraw myself from the list of nominations..

I have so much going on in RL as well as running a site myself for the alliance on OGame..

Sorry, Trend..

Allo --- Very lvl headed.. Good at debates.. Actually researches debates he's in..

Czah--- Very lvl headed.. Ran the Blue room well while Dio was away.. Knows debate very well...

Eliott --- Young, lvl headed... see's both sides of the coin..

tinkerbell
August 27th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Jamie Jamie Jamie

Just Me
August 27th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I think Jamie would make a good mod also... She's smart, funny, great head on her shoulders :)

czahar
August 27th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Czahar, I don't think it is Elioticus, it is Eliotitus (http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/member.php?u=1572).

I would like to just make it clear, that ideal mods can spell and are not hypocrites.

LOL! LT, was that shot at me? :grin:

---------- Post added at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

Czahar has been a little sparce lately which causes me to question whether or not he ought to be a mod. He's quite capable, but there's been something of a history of having people on staff who are very inactive, or who become very inactive after becoming a mod. We need to mitigate that as much as possible. I think Czahar would ne a great moderator, but he might be too busy these days. Otherwise he'd certainly get a nod from me.

I had a bit of a busy season in July and August and wasn't posting as much. Nonetheless, I was still checking up on ODN everyday. I certainly wouldn't see myself winning any awards, and like everyone, I would certainly have to take days off either for vacation, work, etc., but if I were made a moderator, I would be sure to keep up with what was required - i.e., making at least one post a day and and taking firm but professional action against trolls, spammers, and other rule breakers. I do understand your objections, though, Dio. Thank you.

Finally, I would also like to nominate Scarlett. Despite the fact that we often disagree on some very personal issues, she has always been very polite and level-headed with me in our debates. The evidence she supplies always supports her cases very well and she has proven herself to be a most challenging opponent.

Tarja
August 27th, 2009, 08:22 PM
My votes for Allo and Jamie. Both would make wonderful Mods, IMO.
Both have level heads and are pleasant to debate with. Both contribute a heck of a lot to this forum, are valued members, and thus deserve a promotion.

LiberalTruth
August 27th, 2009, 10:35 PM
LOL! LT, was that shot at me? :grin:

No, it wasn't, lol. If I wanted a shot at you, I would have said, "...ideal mods pick a side, theist or atheist, no in betweensies."

czahar
August 27th, 2009, 10:39 PM
No, it wasn't, lol. If I wanted a shot at you, I would have said, "...ideal mods pick a side, theist or atheist, no in betweensies."

Actually, they're supposed to be unbiased. :grin:

LiberalTruth
August 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Actually, they're supposed to be unbiased. :grin:

Meh. Unbiased is a fancy word for scaredy-cat.

Allocutus
August 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Meh. Unbiased is a fancy word for scaredy-cat.

I think czahar is right. When it comes to business, mods should be unbiased. What their personal beliefs are should not even be relevant. All that should matter is that they're able to separate any personal beliefs, likes, dislikes and prejudices from the purely intellectual exercise involved in making whatever decision is to be made. Judges, for example, do this all the time. And so do I.

Imagine prosecuting a man who badly beat someone up because he sexually molested his (the defendant's) little daughter. As a father, my blood boils. But as a lawyer, I forget about being a father. I consider the facts and the law and I apply the law to the facts. Then I go home and I'm a daddy again.

Aspoestertjie
August 28th, 2009, 03:20 AM
I just summarize for easier reference later:-

Nominees are:

Czahar
Allocutus
Swindall
Eliotitus
Scarlett
Tarja
Squatch
Jamie
Ibelsd

The Following People Withdraw:

Dr Gonzo
Just Me

Thanks for the nominations all, we really appreciate it.

TheSparrow
August 28th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I third or fourth or whatever for Allo

LiberalTruth
August 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM
I was joking about the scaredy-cat thing, of course -- moderators should be as unbiased as possible when it comes to their work. I was just clarifying that, in case anyone thought otherwise.

Trendem
August 30th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Any more nominations/volunteers?

Prime Zombie
August 30th, 2009, 07:47 AM
Allo all the way.

eliotitus
August 31st, 2009, 11:06 AM
First off I'd like to thank everyone who nominated me and to answer the concerns about my activity level it's just a result of the summer lull. Ironically enough returning to school will give me far FAR more time. I've not had internet access for about 5 of the last 6 weeks in total which is why I've been posting less (including since this thread was made till today).

Also while I'm here I'd like to back nominations for squatch, allo and Czhar for reasons already expressed by others.

AliceLiddell
September 1st, 2009, 02:28 PM
Just to give people an update, staff are currently establishing a set of interview questions to be delivered to potential candidates. We also have some staff on vacation or partial vacation right now, so admittedly, the process will not be lightning quick. We are working on moving forward asap though.

Comtesse
September 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
Personally, I nominate Czahar.

WhoamI
September 4th, 2009, 08:25 AM
I throw my support behind Allo.

Even as a Christian and him being an Atheist, I have seen him as a stand up guy that is always respect to all people regardless of opinion or belief.

Furthermore, he is very rational and logical and I believe that he would moderate issues fairly and without religious bias in a manner similar to Trendem.

So, my checklist:

Active? Check
Fair? Check
Respectful of beliefs contrary to his own? Check
Perceived as someone that will moderate without religious bias? Check
Levelheaded? Check

I see no reason that would indicate that he would not make an excellent and fair mod.

eliotitus
October 7th, 2009, 02:12 PM
With Dio's return I take it this isn't happening anymore? Or is it just taking time to discuss?

MindTrap028
October 7th, 2009, 02:27 PM
The process is still in progress. :)

GoldPhoenix
October 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Allocutus seems to me to be the best choice. I don't know if Squatch is on ODN enough to make a good moderator in the sense of being on ODN "all the time." (Of course, he and I might not frequent the same forums, so he might be on here more than I realize)

Czahar seems like a good choice.

Elio wouldn't be a bad choice, either, although I hold the same question about the rate of activity as I do for Squatch.

All of them seem to reasonable picks, however.