PDA

View Full Version : The Bible on women

Aspoestertjie
September 18th, 2009, 05:15 AM
While the OP doesn't take in a specific position, I am sure we all can guess what position Pika is taking. It isn't difficult. :)

It is obvious he would like Christians to weigh in on this and get their views on it.

I gave my view on it, and see no reason why the debate can not continue.

I have seen worse OP's here at ODN...

Allocutus
September 18th, 2009, 05:24 AM
While the OP doesn't take in a specific position, I am sure we all can guess what position Pika is taking. It isn't difficult. :)

It is obvious he would like Christians to weigh in on this and get their views on it.

I gave my view on it, and see no reason why the debate can not continue.

I have seen worse OP's here at ODN...

So have I. Many worse ones.
Does that mean we just abrogate the rules here?

And wanting to get views on an issue isn't enough for an OP. ODN's Rules demand that an OP maker put his or her position. It's clear. It's in the rules.

Pik: Nothing against you, man. I'm acting as GA here and I have a duty of care.

Aspoestertjie
September 18th, 2009, 05:36 AM
So have I. Many worse ones.
Does that mean we just abrogate the rules here?

And wanting to get views on an issue isn't enough for an OP. ODN's Rules demand that an OP maker put his or her position. It's clear. It's in the rules.

Pik: Nothing against you, man. I'm acting as GA here and I have a duty of care.

Here is the rule:-

Opening Posts
All threads started in debate forums must present issues with potential for debate. If there is no opening argument, the opening post should at least introduce the topic being discussed and outline the specific issues to be debated. Merely posting a news article, a video or stating a topic (e.g. No Child Left Behind Act) and asking "What do you think about this?" is not sufficient. If you do not wish to write a sufficient OP, you should post in the "Shooting the Breeze" or "Member Contributed News" forums.

Pika asked in the OP

Is this about right? Christians, feel free to weigh in.

Let's do our checklist.

Does this OP present 'potential' for debate? Yes
Does it Introduce the topic to be discussed? Yes
Does he outline the specific issues to be discussed? Maybe not exactly, but he does seem to want to discuss the role of women in the Bible.
Does Pika take in a position? Yes I believe so.

It is clear from his OP that he feels 'disgusted' about the way the Bible describes how women should behave. The 'pump' argument (which is very sarcastic and kind of revolting), makes it quite clear that Pika don't understand the reason behind these specific versus in the Bible. So it is safe to say that he took in a position.

Those that join the debate can either agree with him or prove him wrong by explaining their interpretation of those specific versus, if they disagree. And sooner or later you will get someone who will disagree.

I am taking this to the Debates Discussion forum as to not derail the thread any longer.

Allocutus
September 18th, 2009, 05:43 AM
Here is the rule:-

Pika asked in the OP

Is this about right? Christians, feel free to weigh in.

Let's do our checklist.

Does this OP present 'potential' for debate? Yes
Does it Introduce the topic to be discussed? Yes
Does he outline the specific issues to be discussed? Maybe not exactly, but he does seem to want to discuss the role of women in the Bible.
Does Pika take in a position? Yes I believe so.

It is clear from his OP that he feels 'disgusted' about the way the Bible describes how women should behave. The 'pump' argument (which is very sarcastic and kind of revolting), makes it quite clear that Pika don't understand the reason behind these specific versus in the Bible. So it is safe to say that he took in a position.

Those that join the debate can either agree with him or prove him wrong by explaining their interpretation of those specific versus, if they disagree. And sooner or later you will get someone who will disagree.

I am taking this to the Debates Discussion forum as to not derail the thread any longer.

I take back my criticism and apologise to you and Pik :)
The OP falls squarely within the rules. I misunderstood**

I'll now answer the OP....

Pik. If you're claiming that there's something wrong with the position being held by the Bible on these particular issues, please support that.

**Mind you, any subject is a topic with debate potential and that's something to be looked at, IMHO.