PDA

View Full Version : December DoM Nominations

Iluvatar
January 1st, 2005, 02:09 PM
Well, another month has passed, and we find ourselves ready to nominate a new Debater of the Month. I highly suggest perusing the DoM rules (http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showthread.php?t=972), as there are several very specific qualifications. If said qualifications are not met, the nomination shall be void. This thread will close on the 5th by myself or another staff member.

Dionysus
January 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM
I'd like to nominate Ibelsd. He consistently answers any challenge with well thought out and determined responses. The intelligence that flows from his posts demands respect and must be answered in kind if one wishes to contend with him at all.

http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=59400&postcount=224

http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=58970&postcount=56

http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=56897&postcount=46

KevinBrowning
January 1st, 2005, 10:30 PM
Hmm, I agree that Ibelsd is a formidable debater, but it seems I should sit this one out, since I was away for much of this month.

Meng Bomin
January 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Hmm, I agree that Ibelsd is a formidable debater, but it seems I should sit this one out, since I was away for much of this month. My thoughts exactly.

Iluvatar
January 3rd, 2005, 02:31 AM
Hmm, I agree that Ibelsd is a formidable debater, but it seems I should sit this one out, since I was away for much of this month.Same here. This will be a strange month if only one person is nominated. Not sure if he gets it or not, in such a case.

Dionysus
January 3rd, 2005, 04:30 AM
Well, if nobody want's to play this month, somebody at least second my nomination so it's valid.

Dionysus
January 4th, 2005, 04:12 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: What happened to F&N's post seconding my nomination? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Iluvatar
January 4th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Sorry GP, It was linkless. :(

KevinBrowning
January 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Hehe, could this be the first month in which there will be no DoM?

mrs_innocent
January 5th, 2005, 02:29 AM
Leave it to me to get to things ridiculously late... :red:

Just to try and kick this up a bit, I'll nominate PallidaMors.

His activity here seems to have increased quite a bit. He's started threads to further explore (which may just be code language for "mock or destroy") theistic viewpoints, contributed to threads which do the same, and threw in some American goverment criticism. With it all, he's maintained a certain level of respect for ODN and its members, shown his knowledge (or admitted his lack thereof) of the particular topic at hand, and has interjected some humor as well.

http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2109
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=58563&postcount=146
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=58565&postcount=30

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 03:20 AM
Sorry GP, It was linkless. :(

Ah. Of course.

This nomination period is now ended. Due to lack of particpation, there will be no DoM for December.

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 04:31 AM
Somebody close this thread. I don't got no power here, mang...

tinkerbell
January 5th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Hey I would second Ole Pale Death....

tinkerbell
January 5th, 2005, 05:47 AM
I'll second PM.Technically the thread is open, and I am pregnant and slow these days, so accept the nomination or face my hormonal wrath!..Not only is Pale boy a great Debator, but he has Love for all the ODN ladies (esp since he hasn't seen one in a LONG time)
We also should give him love for his Signature quotes, esp Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre?
Even with the Bombs & gunfire going off around him, PM makes time to visit ODN daily, and post well thought out and clear (and often funny & creative) arguements & posts..Now how many of us can claim that one? The biggest danger I face while on ODN is my 3 year olds tantrums..

Here are a few examples of PM's work/threads for the month...
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2161
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=59501&postcount=49
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=59331&postcount=214
These are quick examples and by no way the best of PM's work. I just wanted to make sure to second the boys nomination as quickly as my swollen lil fingers could type :) We all know he is worth the nomination.

FruitandNut
January 5th, 2005, 08:48 AM
For God's sake, I second GLPs nomination for Ibby (Iblesd) - how the heck do I link it Iluvatar?

There is much I can disagree on, but what he says seems reasonably well argued on most counts - from his perspective.

GLP, there is only one thing worse than a whinging Pom and that's a whinging Yank - ask mog, he knows.

ps. Shouldn't Tinks in her 'interesting condition' rate as two seconders?

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 09:12 AM
[B]For God's sake, I second GLPs nomination for Ibby (Iblesd) - how the heck do I link it Iluvatar?

Read the posting instructions in HERE (http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showthread.php?t=972).

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 10:47 AM
GP, I don't think it ends until the end of the 5th (today). They've got until midnight tonight, though I'll probably close it around 9 or 10.

I'm not busy, so...

1)Find the post ID of the post you want to link to. To do this, find the spot in the upper right corner of the post. For this example, I will use GP's post where he posted the link to the instructions. In the upper right corner, it says "Post #16". 16 is not the number. Click on the number 16 there, and it will take you to a view of just that page

Now, look at the URL box on this new page you've been brought to. It should say
http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showpost.php?p=XXXXX&postcount=16
Where there is XXXXX, you will find a number. In this case, the number is 59953.

2)Back to your post, where you are going to post your link, type in

XXXXX Where XXXXX is the number you found in step 1. in this case, we'd type

59953 which would give us this link:

That works fine, that's all you need to do. If you want to make it a little nicer, you can do this:

Instead of the two posts and the the number, type

Whatever text you want to make into a link which will give you this:
Whatever text you want to make into a link

I hope this helps.

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 11:19 AM
GP, I don't think it ends until the end of the 5th (today). They've got until midnight tonight, though I'll probably close it around 9 or 10.

Not to nit pick, but I have to offer the following from our DoM rules:

The open window for recommendations will be through the 4th of each month. From the 5th to the 7th, the actual vote from the list of nominees will take place.

In the interest of community spirit I will gladly support extending the nomination period, but I would very much like to see that supported here in a consensus by the moderators instead of exceeding protocol without it. I feel it is important to maintain consistency and order in the eyes of our community, not to mention those of our numerous guests.

Thoughts?

EDIT - To clarify, I am proposing that all the *moderators vote for or against extending the nomination period in this instance and if the majority vote says ‘extend’ then all the properly submitted nominations will be considered valid.

If not, any nominations time-stamped on or after the 5th will be considered invalid and the thread will be closed.

My vote is to extend until tonight with the vote thread to take place from the 6th to the 8th.

P.S. I propose that in the event of future lack of participation, we should consider modifying the rules to accommodate extensions. I maintain that we should do what we say and deviations from our rules should be discussed, especially in the event that such a deviation is happening in public view.

*No non-moderator votes, please. This will only confuse the issue. Please respect this.

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Hmm... I was looking at

On the 5th of the month, the Nomination thread will be closed from ANY further posting. In light of F&N's technical difficulties, and Tink's condition, I vote we extend it. What say you (GP and other mods)?

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 11:38 AM
My vote is to extend until tonight with the vote thread to take place from the 6th to the 8th.

FruitandNut
January 5th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I was very impressed in partiucular by Ibby's pesistent strong arguments in 'Does God Answer - especially his posts 202 through to 224

Also

Human Brain Evolution - post 2 through to 11

Even where I disagree with him, due thought is usually apparent.

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 11:51 AM
I also vote as such. It is extended, unless A)Someone comes up with a very good reason not to, B)2 or more Mods vote the other way, or C)Apok says otherwise. Feel free to nominate away. As it is...
PM is Nominated and Seconded

Ib is nominated but Not seconded

So, unless something happens, PM will win by default.

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Never mind the status, F&N posted while I typed.

F&N, I'll turn your post into links this time, but You've got to figure out how to do it, or we won't be able to accept it next time.

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Ok, Finally, both PM and Ib are in the race. I will close this thread at 10 PM. I will put up the voting thread either at that point, or in the morning.

Remember! You can still nominate more people if you want!

KevinBrowning
January 5th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Ok, Finally, both PM and Ib are in the race. I will close this thread at 10 PM. I will put up the voting thread either at that point, or in the morning.

Remember! You can still nominate more people if you want!

Seems fair to me. This nomination has had extenuating circumstances, with many regulars refraining from voting because of absence during December. Extending the nomination and voting periods isn't a problem in this case, in my view.

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Extending the nomination and voting periods isn't a problem in this case, in my view.

It is a problem in my view because it sends a picture of inconsistency and disorder to our numerous visitors and members when we break our own rules. If we must on occasion exceed our boundaries we should allow for these types of contingencies in our written rules, else they are no longer rules; they are recommendations.

KevinBrowning
January 5th, 2005, 12:42 PM
If we must on occasion exceed our boundaries we should allow for these types of contingencies in our written rules, else they are no longer rules; they are recommendations.

Alright, let's recommend an extension provision to Apok, then.

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Alright, let's recommend an extension provision to Apok, then.
That'll be tough, as Apok hasn't been on in ages. He's setting up an entirely new community for the WoW clan. He probably won't be on for a while.

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
That'll be tough, as Apok hasn't been on in ages. He's setting up an entirely new community for the WoW clan. He probably won't be on for a while.

Well, that's why he asked us to be representatives of ODN. He expects us to make good decisions that positively affect the community and to maintain the peace in his absence. I honestly can’t see him taking issue with this decision. That’s the same reason employers hire managers. We’re simply doing what we’re expected to. As long as we remain within reason and expectations, I think we're fine. ;)

Ibelsd
January 5th, 2005, 03:20 PM
I would like to remove my name from consideration. I would hate to win under less than pure circumstances. Any victory, at this point, would seem to be due to default. I thank all who have acknowledged me.

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Don't forget to post your nominations! Only 4 hours left!

Dionysus
January 5th, 2005, 03:22 PM
I would like to remove my name from consideration.

Hmmm....

THAT'S a first.

Looks like our dear PM is the sole candidate. /\

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 05:29 PM
Any victory, at this point, would seem to be due to default.
Umm... You do realize that PM was also nominated and seconded, don't you? Right now, it's between you and him, and we'll soon start the voting, or we would have. How would that be default?

Iluvatar
January 5th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Ok, I'm closing this thread. PM is officially the winner by default, as Ib forfeited (official, as of around 6:00 AM tomorrow, when I put up the announcement).

Ib, I would urge you to reconsider. Your forfeiting will cause PM to win by default. If you stay, no one defaults. If you change your mind, pm me sometime between now and 6:00 am tomorrow.