PDA

View Full Version : The Morality of Voting for One's self

Iluvatar
March 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM
Can one fairly vote for one's self. I have not yet voted in the writing threads, and am undecided as to who to vote for. However, I wonder, could I ethically vote for myself, should I decide that my piece is the best, would I be justified in voting for it? Can I even make that decision unbiasedly? What say you?

KevinBrowning
March 28th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Can one fairly vote for one's self. I have not yet voted in the writing threads, and am undecided as to who to vote for. However, I wonder, could I ethically vote for myself, should I decide that my piece is the best, would I be justified in voting for it? Can I even make that decision unbiasedly? What say you?

In a democratic vote, any eligible voter can vote for any eligible candidate. In presidential elections, this means a presidential candidate can vote for himself. In a writing contest, this means you can vote for yourself. Your question is "should" one vote for oneself.

Ideally, one should vote for the candidate or submission that is of the best quality or potential for the position or prize.

If you truly believe that your entry is the best, then it would not be unethical to vote for yourself, and would in fact not be truly ethical to vote for another, lesser entry simply because it was not your own.

If George Bush truly believes that he makes a better president than John Kerry would, then he would be acting immorally by voting for a man who in his opinion would be less of a benefit to the American people.

If you voted for another's piece, then you would have not encouraged the author who had actually composed the best work, and further writings might not be forthcoming because of it.

This also would be a disservice to others, albeit of a much milder nature than if in such an election as that for the president.

Meng Bomin
March 28th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Can one fairly vote for one's self.
Sure, if you haven't specified against it, which would have been a wise move given the small voting population. If not, look at whether anyone has voted for their own. If they have, then go for it if you truly believe yours is the best. However, if no one has, its generally more courteous to vote for someone else. I would suggest though, before you do vote for yourself, that you ensure that yours is really better. Try to couteract your self-favoring bias.

Iluvatar
March 29th, 2005, 02:41 AM
NE, I didn't want to make a rule forbidding self-voting, as then I would have to make it a public poll to ensure this.

I discussed this briefly with F&N a while back, during the poetry contest. He was of the opinion that one could not unbiasedly decide between one's own work and others. You guys seem to think that one can. Rule wise, of course I can, there's nothing to stop me. I'm still debating whether I should vote for myself if I decide mine is best; do I trust my judgment not to be biased?

Harrison383
March 29th, 2005, 05:24 AM
Your judgement's going to be biased. It will either be biased for or against, because once you started the work, you had an opinion on it even before you saw the others. Now, if you think you can actually weigh yours when compaired to others....then more power to you, because I know I can't. Then again, I see my writing a little differently....

I personally am not going to vote. One cannot be a spectator and a participant at the same time. I wrote the piece, let others decide if it's as good as the others.

Well, that's my opinion.

Xanadu Moo
March 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM
I agree with Harrison and F&N. You are usually going to be biased to your own style -- it is the one you are most familiar and comfortable with, and you submitted the piece in the first place because you liked it. If you thought it was trash, you would've scrapped it and tried something else, or not entered at all. A person can't effectively play both sides of a chess game. You can't easily separate yourself from yourself. You're either going to place too much weight on your own, or you're going to overcompensate the other way in an attempt to remove the bias. It's a very delicate balance to try to maintain. I think what usually happens is a person goes too far in one direction or the other, even if they have the best of intentions.

By the way, Iluvatar, I liked your category A submission quite a bit. It has a lot of personality. I wasn't going to vote for category B since I'm in it.

Iluvatar
March 30th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Well, I guess I can't really make an unbiased decision. I don't wee why one can't vote at all, so long as one does not vote for one's self. If everyone votes for someone besides themselves, we'll be fine.

PerVirtuous
March 30th, 2005, 01:37 PM
Who cares. It's not like anybody's going to lose the prize money because someone skewed the vote in their own favor. I realize that it may be a tremendous blow to my ego if no-one votes for me (even me) but with time and a six of guinness I may get over it someday...

If I could I would vote for everyone once and then everyone would have at least one vote. Kinda how they do things in kindergarten so the rejection will be less traumatic. That's what we need!