PDA

View Full Version : career choice for my son

Sam
April 12th, 2005, 01:35 PM
My son who is a junior in college has just changed his major from engineering to math. His true love is art. He is a gifted painter. He seems confused as to what he really wants. Does anyone have any ideas for him? He is a math major who loves art and has a strong engineering background. What's out there for him?

KevinBrowning
April 12th, 2005, 01:37 PM
If his love is art, then why is his major math, and formerly engineering?

Snoop
April 12th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I would suggest architecture - that way he can use his artistic skills and his math/engineering skills.

Sam
April 12th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I would suggest architecture - that way he can use his artistic skills and his math/engineering skills.

Yes, he was originally in an architectural technology program at the junior college he went to. He did not like the drafting coarse and that was when he switched to engineering. I think you are right he should look at architecture again.

ShadowKnight
April 12th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Just make sure what he's doing is something he likes, i made the mistake of picking something i liked, despite that i was good in it. I was in Electrical Engineering, which requires good math and science skills, which i was good at. Well, I didn't like it, and lost 10k because i changed majors ;)

Now i'm in English and Theology, which I love.

Sam
April 12th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Just make sure what he's doing is something he likes, i made the mistake of picking something i liked, despite that i was good in it. I was in Electrical Engineering, which requires good math and science skills, which i was good at. Well, I didn't like it, and lost 10k because i changed majors ;)

Now i'm in English and Theology, which I love.

I of coarse want him to be happy but he should be practical too. What kind of a job can an artist get? He is very good in math and does like math but it seems he needs to combine math with something else.

Snoop
April 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Combine math with teaching then - can he put up with obnoxious students?

Mr. Hyde
April 12th, 2005, 03:01 PM
My son who is a junior in college has just changed his major from engineering to math. His true love is art. He is a gifted painter. He seems confused as to what he really wants. Does anyone have any ideas for him? He is a math major who loves art and has a strong engineering background. What's out there for him?
Has he tried to sell any paintings? If he loves to draw and paint, he could get with someone who loves to write and while the writer writes, he could illustrate. That way, he's doing something he loves, and as the book gets more publication so will both names and he might eventually be able to sell his work on his own.

KevinBrowning
April 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I of coarse want him to be happy but he should be practical too. What kind of a job can an artist get? He is very good in math and does like math but it seems he needs to combine math with something else.

As long as he doesn't mind not being wealthy, I'd go for pursuing his passion. Architecture does sound promising though, with an engineering and art background. Although if he wants to paint, he should paint. Heck, look at the thousands those "modern artists" make by splashing paint all over a canvas and naming it "Red and Green Boxes Number One" or something.

HappyLady
April 12th, 2005, 03:58 PM
What about interior design? Not necessarily frilly curtains and that kind of thing, but remodeling the appearance of buildings on the inside.

I don't think he should pursue his "passion" as some are saying. It doesn't pay bills. If he's really good at it, he can work at selling his work on the side until he makes a name for himself while he keeps his day job. When he gets a good name for himself, then art can be his day job. Also, if he changed majors because he didn't like ONE course, and has now changed majors again, it seems he's a little "flighty". He needs to stay grounded and have a versatile degree that will qualify him to do more than just one thing. It sounds like he won't make up his mind until he joins the workforce and get some experience in various places. Then he'll make up his mind...and probably will go back to school for psychology or something very far away from where he originally started.

TheSparrow
April 13th, 2005, 04:09 AM
I agree with HL. My brothers friend was a photgraphy nut, but got schooled in interior design. Makes great money and has opportunity to be creative. I don't think its as technically demanding as engineering or architecture either.

TheSparrow
April 13th, 2005, 04:09 AM
I agree with HL. My brothers friend was a photgraphy nut, but got schooled in interior design. Makes great money and has opportunity to be creative. I don't think its as technically demanding as engineering or architecture either.

Pibs
April 14th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Interior design is too easy and too competitive, thus low paid for most. I'd suggest product design.

Every single item you see around you needed to be cosmetically designed by someone - but it's more than just artistic flair, as efficency, production-friendly and user-friendly designs are also a must.

It's interesting work as he wouldn't be doing the same product/project too long. Product design draws on art, maths and requires engineering knowledge. Sounds perfect for him from your description.

In addition it's a graduated career, designing the box design for some paperclips doesn't require 25 years experience but to be the guy leading the design team for the next Xbox is by no means a low paid job. The tricky bit is getting the contacts and actually getting into the industry, you'll rarely see such jobs advertised and you need to get in quite young.

Hope that helps

P.

Zhavric
April 14th, 2005, 12:07 PM
You mean to tell me he's not out lecturing about the horrors of society's acceptence of birth control? I'm shocked... :P

Here are some suggestions:

1) Teaching. If he really loves math, then he's probably the best kind of teacher... or at least he has the potential to be.

2) Computer graphics / CGI. If he's into art and math, get the lad into a program so that he can end up working for PIXAR.

3) Mortgage banking. Ironicly, my boss has a degree in math... and was once a teacher.

4) Graphic design. Not a ton of money, nor a heavy emphasis on math, but if he's into art it will work.

Number 2 is about the best I can come up with. How is he with computers?

YAU
June 11th, 2005, 07:45 PM
i would be quick to sujest somthing like achitecture, since it involves both math and art. but you did say he was a gifted painter. i would sujest somthing a bit more natural in wich he can use his painting skills. he may want to look into artists like MC esher (my favorite artist of all time!) who uses alot of math in his work. perhaps he can be a traditional artist and incorparate his math skills into his work.
here are some other arts that may involve both his art skills and more technical skills:
fashion desighn
textile desighn
mural painter
art supply desighner
tatto artist
jewler
furniture deisghn
interior desighn

i feel so much likeyour son in a way ^.^
i am an artist as well.... but instead of a painter im into drawing, and instead of math im into social studies. i have no clue what i wanna do either. but i can empathies sooo much! all pumped up and ready to go!....but you have no idea what your goal is.
best luck to your son! i hope he finds what he is looking for.
-love YAU

Tarotbound
June 11th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I kow of very few people that stick to their first course of study when college is concerned, i say let him explore what college has to offer he will find what he's looking for.

CC
June 12th, 2005, 06:14 AM
I worked doing drywall and put in 8 or 9 hours in monday through friday. Then I would go to the dojang and train 2 or 3 hours every week night. We did this for 4 years, (me, my wife and our son) till we earned our 1st degree blackbelt. My wife and I both were driven to opening our own school from almost the begining of our training together. I had trained for a few years back in the early 70's and hit it again for a year or so in Colarda before before I met my wife. She was a jock(ett?) in high school and college so we were a perfect fit.

Since I no longer have a day job, it gives me more time to volunteer my time to my dojng, more time to do various services. I also have taught myself to play guitar, as I've also said I try am trying to turn a stack of papers into a manuscript. My wife and I get to train together during the day in the summer months. Our school is the result of 12 years of blood sweat and tears, (they were a great band btw). We (as I've bragged about more than once in ODN) have a very successful M.A. School. It was tough to get there, both of us working and training gave little time for anything else. But now that we have finally "arrived" it was so worth it.

Your son is young and sounds energetic. He can give up much of his leisure time practicing his passion, (that sounds like something dubya would say) as he works his butt off during the day. So far as to what his day job will be I say is secondary and only temporaray until he gets to that place in his life where he can fully donate his time to his art.

I (as is my wife) absolutely love teaching martial arts and being a direct influence on the lives of our students. To have watched them in the last 10 years of growing up and becoming young adults and good citizens is something that becomes such a part of OUR lives. It may be trite but it is true, if you do something you love you never work a day in your life..............:O)