PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best comedy show of all time?

nanderson
June 2nd, 2005, 05:08 AM
Seinfeld is my favorite, what is yours

Zhavric
June 2nd, 2005, 05:48 AM
I'm not sure what manner of demon possesed you in order to erase The Simpsons from your memory...

Is it THE funniest show? Perhaps... but it certainly warrants a place on the list.

Also, if you have Friends on the list, there's really no reason to exclude Frasier or Cheers.

I'd have to vote for The Family Guy myself. Other shows are funny, but TFG is one of the ONLY shows that makes me laugh out loud.

nanderson
June 2nd, 2005, 05:54 AM
I'm not sure what manner of demon possesed you in order to erase The Simpsons from your memory...

Is it THE funniest show? Perhaps... but it certainly warrants a place on the list.

Also, if you have Friends on the list, there's really no reason to exclude Frasier or Cheers.

I'd have to vote for The Family Guy myself. Other shows are funny, but TFG is one of the ONLY shows that makes me laugh out loud.

You're right!!!! How could I have forgot The Simpsons, the longest running animated show of all time...not the funniest show, but should be on the list.

HappyLady
June 2nd, 2005, 06:11 AM
King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond are two of my favorites.

FruitandNut
June 2nd, 2005, 06:12 AM
I presume that we are polling for the best 'American' comedy show. That being the case it is a tie between M.A.S.H. and The Simpsons.

HappyLady
June 2nd, 2005, 06:44 AM
I presume that we are polling for the best 'American' comedy show. That being the case it is a tie between M.A.S.H. and The Simpsons.

Yeah...anyway...where's Benny Hill??

Snoop
June 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM
Yes, leaving the Simpsons out was wrong - shame on you. I voted for some others - Phil Silvers Show, Hogans Heroes, Soupy Sales Show, Red Skelton Show, The Three Stooges, Abbot and Costello and Laurel and Hardy.

sbgtfJC
June 2nd, 2005, 08:40 AM
Chappelle's Show, IMO

Tarotbound
June 2nd, 2005, 09:59 AM
My show wasn't listed so i'll put in here ;)

The honeymooners with Jackie Gleason :*

Fyshhed
June 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
1) Family Guy. No contest.
2) Monty Python's Flying Circus
3)Futurama/The Simpsons. Same humor.

Harrison383
June 2nd, 2005, 11:27 AM
I put Seinfeld because it's the only one up there I liked.

1)Family Guy
2)Simpsons
3)Fawlty Towers (fo' da' brits)
4)Chappelle's Show
5)Seinfeld

Ibelsd
June 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Listed in no particular order:
1. Simpsons
2. Flying Circus
3. Pre 1990 Saturday Night Live (could maybe go a little later)
4. Kids in the Hall
5. SCE tv (I think that is what its called).

Iluvatar
June 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
1)The Simpsons
2)Seinfeld
3)The Red Green Show

CliveStaples
June 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Family Guy, Venture Bros., Chapelle's Show, Aqua Teen Hunger Force (or something like that).

Xanadu Moo
June 2nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
1. M*A*S*H
2. The Days and Nights of Molly Dodd
3. Seinfeld
4. Simpsons
5. Honeymooners (Norton was amazing)

M*A*S*H is so good that it's the best one even if you didn't like it.

Snoop
June 2nd, 2005, 03:58 PM
One more - The Beverly Hilllbillies

Telex
June 2nd, 2005, 04:09 PM
Seinfeld is great. Definatly Top Three. Simpsons were hilarious in their prime, but suck so much ass now that it's getting harder and harder to vote for them. Family Guy is funny, but it feels like it takes the easy-way-out comedy wise.

But the show that has made me laugh the most is Arrested Development. It's only been on two seasons, but Dear Lord that show...oh man...just remembering Gob (pronounced Jobe) throwing a dove into the ocean while yelling "Return from whence you came!" makes me chuckle every time.

daman
June 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Definitely the Simpsons!!

I've seen all the shows listed, but I am constantly amused by the Simpsons

Second on my list would be Married with Children! I personal think that should be on the list as well. It had a long run.

Al Bundy: You know another thing that makes women such a blessing for us? It's like when you're sitting somewhere and they come over and they say to you: 'What are you thinking?' And you start thinking: 'You know, if I wanted you to know, I'd be talking.'

southernbelle
December 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Can't decide...best ever? Mash, Simpsons, I love lucy, you forget Laugh in, Get Smart, all the good oldies.

MrFungus420
December 20th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Gotta go with M*A*S*H. The best TV show of all time.

Mr. Hyde
December 20th, 2005, 11:21 PM
If we're gonna include Chappelle show, we've got to include SNL, MAD TV, and In Living Color.

My favorites:

1) Simpsons
2)Family Guy
3) Seinfeld
4) Curb Your Enthusiasm
5) Mad TV
6) Chappelle Show
7) King of the Hill
8) Friends.

Snoop
December 21st, 2005, 03:55 AM
If we're gonna include Chappelle show, we've got to include SNL, MAD TV, and In Living Color.
My favorites:

1) Simpsons
2)Family Guy
3) Seinfeld
4) Curb Your Enthusiasm
5) Mad TV
6) Chappelle Show
7) King of the Hill
8) Friends.You didn't include them.

My favorite current show is the Simpsons, but they are getting old (like me). The best of the past: Abbott and Costello Show

Another great show is on BET "Comic View" - check it out if you can one day. http://www.bet.com/Site+Management/Comic+View.htm??Referrer={A68CCC2D-CB51-43D6-9E58-E41EF08E6A0B}

(Check ou the joke of the week video clip)

Anyone like Americas Funniest Animals?

GodlessSkept
December 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
I cannot for the life of me understnad why Mystery Science Theatre 3000, one of the longest running comedy shows of all time(what was it ..8 or 9 seasons?) is always overlooked in these sorts of polls. Easily the funniest show ever though it is hard to argue with The Simpsons.

I would also say the Red Dwarf should be in there. It was not THE funniest but it deserves mentioning along with those others.

Mr. Hyde
December 21st, 2005, 03:33 PM
You didn't include them.
Most everyone has already voted. The only real choice would be making a new poll.

mrmeepers
December 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM
partially edible green beans > The Andy Griffith Show

I'd say Family Guy, Mystery Science theatre 3000, and Aqua teen are my top ones. Family guy keeps consistently high quality though

KevinBrowning
December 22nd, 2005, 11:22 PM
Of old American comedy shows I like I Love Lucy the most. She was a comedic genius and the supporting cast was great. Not much for sitcoms, and I think animated comedies deserves a separate thread. Never seen M*A*S*H, really. I intend to get most of these old classics on DVD one day. Certain episodes of The Three Stooges are also hilarious. As for British stuff, I've seen a bit of the Monty Python shows, and when I can understand them it's incredibly funny usually. Seen a couple of the movies too; The Holy Grail is probably best, but man, there are a lot of long boring parts in it.

Andacanavar
January 5th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Simpsons, Family Guy, Def Comedy Jam (not really a show persay, but so what), Chappelle's, Roseanne.. Can't think of others at the moment.

FruitandNut
January 5th, 2006, 03:01 AM
Seinfeld
Fawlty Towers
Frazier

Are rated as being the top three sitcoms of all time according to a recent survey among those in the business both sides of the Pond. The likes of Bilko, Porridge and Open All Hours (the last two starring Ronnie Barker), and Only Fools and Horses (the last two starring David Jason), all made runner-up spots.

DivineMisty
January 12th, 2006, 03:33 PM
My two picks for American comedies are 3rd Rock From the Sun and Murphy Brown. 3rd Rock because it was the first show to actually have me rolling on the floor, (and even after I would finish watching it, if a scene crossed my mind later, it would have me cracking up all over again!), and Murphy because I really respect the heck out of a show that goes for some "sophisticated" humor. This selection can show that a team is concerned with making a good show, not just one that will get them cheap laughs and big ratings.

If I could choose a Brit comedy, I would definitely choose Absolutely Fabulous! Not something that would ever be produced in the U.S., I'm sure, because of how it "mocks" alcoholism and drug-dependancy, but if you can get past that, it's one of the most hilarious shows!

GoldPhoenix
January 12th, 2006, 03:45 PM
Wow, none of my favorite shows got on there...

Two and a Half Men/Simpsons/Mind of Mencia/Chappelle's Show/Daily Show/Colbert Report

Slipnish
January 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I voted for M*A*S*H because I watch at least one episode a night, pretty much...

Of course that was before I read the thread and thought of some other shows like Family Guy, Fawlty Towers, and so on...

Anyone watched Boondocks yet?

On a side note:

I can't stand Seinfeld. The George Castanza (sp?) character makes me want to hurl. He's simply pathetic. I hate him so much, he ruins the rest of the show for me.

Dionysus
January 12th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Seinfeld is my favorite, what is yoursThe Simpsons.

Montalban
January 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Which is the best comedy show of all time?

I can tell you one thing, it wasn't made in America

Slipnish
January 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I cannot for the life of me understnad why Mystery Science Theatre 3000, one of the longest running comedy shows of all time(what was it ..8 or 9 seasons?) is always overlooked in these sorts of polls. Easily the funniest show ever though it is hard to argue with The Simpsons.

I would also say the Red Dwarf should be in there. It was not THE funniest but it deserves mentioning along with those others.

Man, you are so right. MST3K was great, and I still watch Red Dwarf when I can catch it on PBS...

The Simpsons is funny enough, but it sort of burned out early for me. I watched the first couple or three seasons, now if its on, I might watch it...

FruitandNut
January 12th, 2006, 11:06 PM
My two picks for American comedies are 3rd Rock From the Sun and Murphy Brown. 3rd Rock because it was the first show to actually have me rolling on the floor, (and even after I would finish watching it, if a scene crossed my mind later, it would have me cracking up all over again!), and Murphy because I really respect the heck out of a show that goes for some "sophisticated" humor. This selection can show that a team is concerned with making a good show, not just one that will get them cheap laughs and big ratings.

If I could choose a Brit comedy, I would definitely choose Absolutely Fabulous! Not something that would ever be produced in the U.S., I'm sure, because of how it "mocks" alcoholism and drug-dependancy, but if you can get past that, it's one of the most hilarious shows!

I find '3rd Rock' a bit 'immature' in it's humour, although it does occasionally make me chuckle - I haven't seen any 'Murphy Brown' (don't know if we have it over here), but I most certainly go with 'Absolutely Fabulous (Ab Fab)' as a choice, and not just because of Joanna Lumley's long, long legs!

ps. I am also an avid fan of the MASH series.

Montalban
January 13th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I find '3rd Rock' a bit 'immature' in it's humour, although it does occasionally make me chuckle - I haven't seen any 'Murphy Brown' (don't know if we have it over here), but I most certainly go with 'Absolutely Fabulous (Ab Fab)' as a choice, and not just because of Joanna Lumley's long, long legs!

ps. I am also an avid fan of the MASH series.
Many Brit comedies had really nasty characters, such as Fawlty Towers , AbFab, Love thy Neighbour, etc

FruitandNut
January 13th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Monty - Most of the 'nastiness' is as part and parcel of other traits such as neurosis, insecurity or lack of social skills, such comedy was/is based on flawed characters. Brit comedy explores all aspects of the 'human condition'. If a character is racist or sexist, that character is seen as being foolish holding to such a prejudice, like in 'Love Thy neighbour' or 'Til Death Us Do Part', or indeed John Cleese, "Don't mention the war" comment and his goose-stepping when German tourists arrive at Fawlty Towers. Most nastiness gets it's cumuppence.

Montalban
January 13th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Monty
Can I just point out that it's spelt
M-O-N-T-A-L-B-A-N

- Most of the 'nastiness' is as part and parcel of other traits such as neurosis, insecurity or lack of social skills, such comedy was/is based on flawed characters. Brit comedy explores all aspects of the 'human condition'. If a character is racist or sexist, that character is seen as being foolish holding to such a prejudice, like in 'Love Thy neighbour' or 'Til Death Us Do Part', or indeed John Cleese, "Don't mention the war" comment and his goose-stepping when German tourists arrive at Fawlty Towers. Most nastiness gets it's cumuppence.
I don't argue against the 'reason'. I merely point out the fact. US comdey does have some nasties, such as in 'Married with Children' but then they have 'Friends' which have silly, but nice people.

'The Brady Bunch' also had nice people comdey.

Brit nasty comedy includes 'George & Mildred', 'On the Buses', 'Black Adder' and others. Ali G has comedy that is highly confrontational.

And yes, I do know that there are exceptions in both cases. However it seems that the better known of Brit comedies; sitcoms have nasty people in them.

DivineMisty
January 14th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Can I just point out that it's spelt
M-O-N-T-A-L-B-A-N

Picky, aren't we?? ;) I'm sure he didn't mean any disrespect. It's like when people call me "Misty," "Mist," etc...it's just a heck of a lot shorter to type, and I almost feel bad for picking such a long name that people may feel they have to spell out each time! :lol:

And yes, I do know that there are exceptions in both cases. However it seems that the better known of Brit comedies; sitcoms have nasty people in them.

And I'm still trying to figure this out...are "nasty people" supposed to be bad? If so, then just call me "Queen of the Nasties!" ;) I agree when FruitandNut hinted that this was just part of the 'human condition.' Not everyone is good and sweet...but does this mean anyone "different" should be ignored? No, this is just close-minded. Even though I wouldn't want to take on all aspects of their personalities, (namely the enjoyment of boozing and drug-taking), I do enjoy watching Patsy and Eddy of AbFab because they ARE so different, and it's refreshing that they love life so much. You also rarely ever hear them complain, (save for the occasional quips from Eddy on her ex-husbands, or daughter), or dwell on anything. (Which can get boring.) If something bad happens, it goes something like: "Oh. ... Shall I open a bolly, darling?," which moves the story along rather quickly. Also, "sweet and nice" gets boring in my opinion and, in some cases, it's fake, because people just aren't like that (especially in NYC, where "Friends" takes place!). "Nasty" tends to indicate unpredictability, as well, which, for me, makes TV-viewing more interesting!