PDA

View Full Version : Just Ordered a Computer

ShadowKnight
August 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM
Yep, been saving up a lot of money, and to be honest I didn't know what to do with 2,000 bucks. Usually, I had trouble spending money everytime I got my hands on it, for crying out loud, I AM brown aka poor :P

Just like 3 days ago I ordered myself a pretty awesome Dell Computer, it's refurbished, so I got it on a pretty nice discount, but the baby still has some nice power. What do you think? Do you think it was a good order?

This is what it includes:

Dimension 4700 Micro-Tower: Pentium 4 Processor 530 with HT Technology (3.00GHz, 800 FSB)

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
512 MB DDR2 NON-ECC SDRAM 400MHz (2 DIMM)
No Floppy Drive
80 GB EIDE SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
128MB PCI Express ATI Radeon X300 SE
Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD Audio with 100dB Perform
48X CD RW Drive
16X DVD ROM Drive
Software
RecordNow!Deluxe:Burn,Copy CD Music/Data,Backup,Labeling
CD RW Software
Windows Media Player
Software CD
Microsoft Plus! for Windows XP
Dell 942 Printer Driver
Resource CD
Earthlink ISP Software
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Reader
Dell Support Software
Image Restore Software
ISP Software
ISP Software
Earthlink ISP Software
Net Zero ISP
Resource CD
AOL 8.0 ISP Software
McAfee Virus Scan - 90-day Trial
Music Match Plus Software
Microsoft Office 2003 Software Guide
Microsoft Office Small Business 2003
Power DVD Software
DPS Paint Shop Pro Try and Buy Software
DPS Photo Album Premium
No Modem Option
QuietKey Keyboard
AOL Sofware Documentation
Shipping Material
Optical 2-Button Mouse
64 MB USB Memory Key
Shipping Material

All this for about $995 dollars, including tax and shipping.

Apokalupsis
August 29th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Well, a lot of what you have listed up there is either free to everyone, or very cheap. Retailers will list as many things as possible (even if they are free to everyone, not just included in your sale) to make it appear that you are getting a great deal. Nearly all the software you have is free. The keyboard and mouse are relatively inexpensive.

What you should focus on, are the big things, not the small things. The cpu, memory, hd, video (and sound if that is important to you).

ShadowKnight
August 29th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Well, a lot of what you have listed up there is either free to everyone, or very cheap. Retailers will list as many things as possible (even if they are free to everyone, not just included in your sale) to make it appear that you are getting a great deal. Nearly all the software you have is free. The keyboard and mouse are relatively inexpensive.

What you should focus on, are the big things, not the small things. The cpu, memory, hd, video (and sound if that is important to you).

Well of course, I actually didn't care much for those little things, just kind of skimmed through those parts. Generally I was looking at the memory, harddrive, processor, and all that good stuff, but it looks pretty good, and for a price like that? I thought... why not.

Apokalupsis
August 29th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Well, you aren't getting a "good deal", especially if it is refurbished. You paid for the name (Dell). You can get close to the same, brand new, cheaper (by $100-$150).

You don't have a bad computer by any means. You just are paying more than you should for what you are getting. It also looks like they threw in some extra freebies to attempt to justify their price increase.

For instance, this one is a better Dell Dimensions system, comes with monitor and printer, brand new, and costs $749 after a $100 rebate: http://morestuff4less.com/2004/11/12.html (scroll down)

You can buy directly from Dell and get a better system: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Also, you don't need both a CD and DVD drive. Retailers scam customers into getting both.

Apokalupsis
August 29th, 2005, 10:30 AM
oh wait...you said that it INCLUDES taxes and shipping. Well, what was the sales cost?

ShadowKnight
August 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Well, you aren't getting a "good deal", especially if it is refurbished. You paid for the name (Dell). You can get close to the same, brand new, cheaper (by $100-$150).

You don't have a bad computer by any means. You just are paying more than you should for what you are getting. It also looks like they threw in some extra freebies to attempt to justify their price increase.

For instance, this one is a better Dell Dimensions system, comes with monitor and printer, brand new, and costs $749 after a $100 rebate: http://morestuff4less.com/2004/11/12.html (scroll down)

You can buy directly from Dell and get a better system: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Also, you don't need both a CD and DVD drive. Retailers scam customers into getting both.

hehe, I did buy from Dell and before shipping and handling + taxes, it was $892.00

Zhavric
August 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Don't lie. We know what you're capable of using and what you ordered:

http://toonervilleantiques.com/webpics/hand_helds/spkspl.jpg

Apokalupsis
August 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Well, then you still got a bad deal then as you could have gotten a brand new one with more powerful components for less or comparable.

ShadowKnight
August 29th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Well, then you still got a bad deal then as you could have gotten a brand new one with more powerful components for less or comparable.

Here's the thing, it gives you a low price, but you have to add on a whole bunch of stuff if you want a computer that is any good at all. I went through the whole thing many times, and once you go to buy it, it's actually isn't that great, after I customized everything, it was a pretty high price.

Apokalupsis
August 29th, 2005, 10:54 AM
I don't think you did it correctly. The DEFAULT of what they have there is better than your system and it is cheaper. You get more for the buck. Also, you don't have to go through Dell to buy a decent computer.

What do you think? Do you think it was a good order?

I've been building computers for the past 7 years or so. Paying that much for a refubished, is not a good deal.

ShadowKnight
August 29th, 2005, 11:03 AM
I don't think you did it correctly. The DEFAULT of what they have there is better than your system and it is cheaper. You get more for the buck. Also, you don't have to go through Dell to buy a decent computer.

I've been building computers for the past 7 years or so. Paying that much for a refubished, is not a good deal.

This is what everything would turn out to be, if it was new, that's $1,094.00 sales price (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=3d47h5&s=bsd) alone. <---- This link sucks, I upgraded basically to what I had on my computer, and it turned out to be $1,094.00

And for your other link that was for $749, it has this:

WordPerfect®, Powerful Word Processing - I hate word perfect
40GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) - 40 GB too low :)
Single Drive: 48X CD-ROM Drive - No Burner... WAAAAAAAA :'(

ShadowKnight
August 29th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Also, I forgot to mention... mine has Microsoft Office Small Business 2003, which is like $400 by itself.

Jamie
August 29th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Build your own computer next time, much cheaper, and it isn't difficult.

Jamie
August 29th, 2005, 11:18 AM
You can get that $400.00 software for $180.00 on Amazon...

Apokalupsis
August 29th, 2005, 11:35 AM
This is what everything would turn out to be, if it was new, that's $1,094.00 sales price (http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=3d47h5&s=bsd) alone. <---- This link sucks, I upgraded basically to what I had on my computer, and it turned out to be $1,094.00

And for your other link that was for $749, it has this:

WordPerfect®, Powerful Word Processing - I hate word perfect
40GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) - 40 GB too low :)
Single Drive: 48X CD-ROM Drive - No Burner... WAAAAAAAA :'(

So upgrade these items. Those items being upgraded wouldn't cost you more than $80 or so.

Now, if you don't know how to upgrade your own system (yourself of course), you can usually get a barebones cheap then have a tech do the quick installs for you. You still come out ahead (and there is no s/h).

Outdated software packages can usually be found much cheaper than if you were to get it from a package deal on your system.

Microsoft Office Small Business 2003 in 2003 was worth a little over $400, but now, you can get the PRO version for $169 (http://www.costcaptain.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=office2003pro&Category_Code=office).

The point isn't that you have a bad system, but rather that you didn't get "good deal", especially considering the fact that your system is refurbished, not brand spankin' new.

starcreator
August 29th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Building a computer is by far the cheapest option, as you have more flexibility in parts, but if you want to buy a Dell you should ensure that you go new. They change stuff so frequently.

All in all, $2000 for that wasn't that great a deal. But it's still a nice computer - I'm still running a sempron 2800, albeit with 768 megs of RAM.

KevinBrowning
August 29th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Seems like an alright deal to me, but it seems if you wanted a more productive thread for recommendations, you would have posted it before you ordered the computer. Anyway, it seems like a good desktop for the price, although Apok and others here probably could have helped with a better deal.

As far as building one's own computer, that certainly isn't for me, but it seems like the cheapest route to go if one doesn't mind the study and work to do it properly. For my Dell laptop, I ended up paying almost as much as for your desktop if I remember, because of how my university forced me to go with their overpriced plan. At least I get free repairs and customer service.

Apokalupsis
August 29th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Well, not everyone has the ability to build or to learn to build a computer. Those who do, obviously save money (like a mechanic saves on car repairs). However, even for people who do not know how to build their own, they can save a lot more and get a better deal. I've pointed out a couple ways above. Again, it's not a bad system, you just could have done better. The difference in cost is only a few hundred dollars. So in the scheme of things, it isn't that big of a deal.

ShadowKnight
August 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Well, not everyone has the ability to build or to learn to build a computer. Those who do, obviously save money (like a mechanic saves on car repairs). However, even for people who do not know how to build their own, they can save a lot more and get a better deal. I've pointed out a couple ways above. Again, it's not a bad system, you just could have done better. The difference in cost is only a few hundred dollars. So in the scheme of things, it isn't that big of a deal.

Thanks for the info dude, I will definitely keep that all in mind ;)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

FruitandNut
August 30th, 2005, 03:48 AM
My first PC and my present PC (e Machines 5250 with XP, 2003 office etc.)

64k memory and snail drive to 160gb (512mb ddi hard disk, multi-format dual layer dvd re-writer, ir graphics, 8-in-1 media card reader in less than 20 yrs. Gigantic floppies with a few k memory to easy use flash drives with 2 gb memory and multiple filing system.

starcreator
October 10th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Yep, technology's exponential all right...

FruitandNut
October 10th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Technology is only exponential in as far as the human mind has designed it to be. All that technology is is an expression of human mind power. It is in effect an artificial limb.

Technology is subserviant to the laws of science, and science, to paraphrase 'Dirty Harry', needs to 'know' its limitations. It is a lesson that we humans have yet to learn, because in many areas we have not reached our limits.

Bf55
October 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM
thats cool shi* f and n

L3ver4ge
December 26th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Also, you don't have to go through Dell to buy a decent computer.

I wish my family would understand that. They're convinced dell>all. That really gets me angry sometimes. I know dells are ok..and they're the best of what's easily available, but they're expensive and you can order the parts yourself and make it for a lot cheaper.