PDA

View Full Version : Saddam's trial, first hearing.

KevinBrowning
October 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Saddam Hussein's trial began today. He and seven other Baath Party leaders were charged with killing 143 Shiite Iraqis in the town of Dujail in 1982. All defendants pleaded not guilty. It lasted about three hours, and Saddam was as usual very arrogant and uncooperative. At one point he even had a minor physical altercation with the guards.

Certain liberal activist groups such as Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and even the United Nations are complaining that the trial doesn't meet "international standards" of fairness. If Saddam and his henchmen are convicted, they will likely be executed by hanging. The trial has been adjourned until November 28th.

Thoughts? I'm glad it's finally happening, but I really hope they don't drag their feet too much. The over 185,000 people murdered by Saddam deserve justice, not excessive formalities and world sympathy for this monster.

Zhavric
October 19th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I believe Saddam is challenging the ligitimacy of the court. Can't say I blame him. If they have him dead to rights, then why all the circus? Why the delay? This should be a slam-dunk. You'd think people would have been preparing for this, wouldn't you?

Snoop
October 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM
I heard they have signed death warrants which he signed - he's guilty as the sins he committed. He's probably too delusional to committ suicide. Too bad.

:offtopic: - Kevin, you are the only person in ODN history to have a group obituary in your signature. Maybe it's the Halloween atmosphere that makes you ghoulish?

KevinBrowning
October 19th, 2005, 08:53 AM
I believe Saddam is challenging the ligitimacy of the court. Can't say I blame him.

How is the court illegitimate?

Zhavric
October 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM

The court is an Iraqi court, but was convened before the Iraqis had a constitution put together. There are a few other reasons that I would question wether or not the court was ligit, but those aren't Saddam's reasons:

From cnn.com

"I [Saddam] don't harbor any hatred toward any of you [the court]," Hussein said. "But holding onto the rights, and out of respect for the Iraqi people for choosing me ... I say I don't answer this, what is called a court, with all due respect, and I reserve my constitutional right as the president of Iraq.

"I do not recognize the body that has authorized you and I don't recognize this aggression. I do not respond to this so-called court, with all due respect."

Later, when Amin identified him as the former president, Hussein snapped, "I said I'm the president of the republic of Iraq. I did not say deposed."

You have to admire that level of delusion and stubborness just a little, don't you, Kevin?

FruitandNut
October 20th, 2005, 03:52 AM

More to the point, what determines the legitimacy of a court?
To my way of looking at things most of the courts (around the world) that sit in judgment have to one degree or another questionable parentage and/or lineage. It is kings, politicians and dictators that make the laws, and they are so often a motley shower.