PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

emtee10
November 26th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Anyone here seen Donnie Darko? It's the weirdest movie ever...

Slipnish
November 26th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Loved it...

Mr. Hyde
November 26th, 2005, 09:35 PM
I thought it was excellent. The explanation for time travel was pretty cool, as was the Smurf thing.

Slipnish
November 26th, 2005, 09:40 PM
IT was dark, it was creepy, and I had to watch it twice to "get it." I missed the first 15 minutes of the movie the first time around and just said to heck with it. It was weird enough I had to watch the rest...

On the second go round, I finally figured out why the count down was happening...

Loved it...

BTW: I am the only person in the house who will watch it... :lol:

emtee10
November 27th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I loved how all this messed-up nonsensical stuff happened throughout the movie that makes no sense at all, but at the end it all comes together and makes sense in a twisted sort of way. I need to watch it a second time...

Slipnish
November 27th, 2005, 10:30 PM
I look for it on video at the stores. I am sure I can find it in a basement bin. :lol: Dunno why. I really liked that movie. Particularly the big evil rabbit...

Valium
December 1st, 2005, 04:14 PM
Extremely entertaining, "nonsensical" due to some major logical fallacies, but that can be overlooked simply because it is so damn cool.

Zhavric
December 6th, 2005, 09:41 AM
While not my favorite film, I'd definately rank it in the top 5.

"Have you ever seen a portal?"

***SPOILERS***

So, who is Frank? Sure, we know that Frank is the kid who gets shot in the eye at the end, but is that the same entity who tells Donny the world is coming to an end? Is Frank god? Was Jesus just someone in Donny's shoes? In a temporary parrallel universe who had to die in order to save the world?

CliveStaples
December 6th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Do all stories have to have a parallel to Christian theology? Must a story "mean", or can it just "be"?

emtee10
December 7th, 2005, 03:21 PM
I've never noticed any religious parallels, but then again, I'd probably miss them if there were any, anyway.

I personally love movies which contain bizarre things and things which make you go "huh?", but then manage to explain them at the end and tie everything up in a nifty little package.

Valium
December 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I personally love movies which contain bizarre things and things which make you go "huh?", but then manage to explain them at the end and tie everything up in a nifty little package.

Indeed. Well, if everything ended up in a "nifty little package" perhaps you could explain something for me:

1)The artifact= The artifact is the sign that a tangent universe has been created, in this case, the artifact was the jet engine that fell into Donnie's room.

2) If there is an artifact, then there is a tangent universe.

3) The entire point of the story is the resolution of this tangent universe

4) At the end of the movie, the artifact once again travels through time to land in Donnie's room, the only difference being that he is now in said room.

5) If there is an artifact(which there is), then there is a tangent universe

6) Nothing has been resolved, for the tangent universe must still exist

So here's the question: WTF?

emtee10
December 8th, 2005, 03:16 PM
My understanding of the ending was that the series of events which occurred in the tangent universe "caused", among other things, the jet engine which fell into Donnie's room in the first place.

In other words, the events in the tangent universe were the "causes" for the events which allowed the tangent universe to exist in the first place. It's a bit of twisted logic in terms of cause-and-effect, but it's a movie, and it's enjoyable.