PDA

View Full Version : More international greetings

Daddaluma
December 4th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Hello from freezing northern Japan :)

I am currently in my second year of the JET program (Japan Exchange and Teaching Program). If you don't know what that is and/or are mildly interested in Japan, feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer em.

Anyway, I'm an English "Teacher" at an agricultural high school. Which really means I'm a gaijin monkey here to entertain the kids. It also means that I have just about 0 responsibilities or "work" to do when I'm not in class, so I have loads upon loads of free time to roam the internet. Hopefully this site can eat up a good portion of that free time, since I've been running out of entertaining options recently.

This seems like as good a place as any to ask my questions, so here goes. Most the the topics I'm interested in participating in have threads that are several months old already. What's the general attitude toward resurrecting old or ancient topics?

That's all I got for now. よろしく

Mr. Hyde
December 4th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Welcome to ODN. Isn't that Vargas as your avatar?

What's the general attitude toward resurrecting old or ancient topics?
Everyone loves a fresh opinion on an old subject.

sylouette
December 4th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Go for it! That's what I did when I first came on! Just be aware that there might be consequences! :lol:

Welcome....I think you'll like it here.

Apokalupsis
December 4th, 2005, 10:36 PM
We welcome thread resurrection here. Often times someone will bring a new perspective or argument to an older thread that wasn't presented previously.

Or, sometimes we will restart the topic so we get new faces to bring their thoughts/ideas/arguments to the table (or perhaps we do so because we've learned from our previous experience in that debate, and now have a stronger position to put forth).

In short, there is absolutely no rule to bring back older threads. If something is of interest to you, get the rest of us interested too! ;)

And welcome to ODN.

Daddaluma
December 4th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Welcome to ODN. Isn't that Vargas as your avatar?

No!

But I suppose I can forgive the mistake as my avatar is from the same game, and it's a very VERY minor character.

Mr. Hyde
December 5th, 2005, 04:47 AM
No!

But I suppose I can forgive the mistake as my avatar is from the same game, and it's a very VERY minor character.

*Breaks out Beastiary from FFVI*

I'll figure him out eventually.

Jamie
December 5th, 2005, 05:29 AM
Welcome :)

Snoop
December 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Daddaluma from Iwate, Japan - what a combination! Is there a mammaluma too? What doese Iwate mean? What does Daddaluma mean?

Welcome to ODN!

Zhavric
December 5th, 2005, 06:08 AM
Welcome.

I just got done reading a novel set in 1860 Japan called Cloud of Sparrows (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0440240859/103-9121215-2190243?v=glance&n=283155) by Takashi Matsuoka.

Are you familiar with Japanese history from around 1860? I really enjoyed Matsuoka's novel, but I'm wondering just how historically accurate it is. Some events that (allegedly) took place in 1860 according to the author:

"Outsiders" were showing up in steamships with gunpowder cannons and firearms. The Japanese had seen the Dutch 200 years earlier, but kicked them out. They're only just getting re-aquainted with the rest of the world.

An American vessel shelled a district of a major Japanese city killing lots of people (I don't have the book handy, I'm afraid).

Any insight you could lend would be greatly appreciated.

Daddaluma
December 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Daddaluma from Iwate, Japan - what a combination! Is there a mammaluma too? What doese Iwate mean? What does Daddaluma mean?

Welcome to ODN!

Iwate is the name of my prefecture. It really doesn't mean anything, but the kanji used to write it mean " cliff hand".

And I can't tell you what Daddaluma means because that would spoil Mr. Hyde's search. . .

Welcome.

I just got done reading a novel set in 1860 Japan called Cloud of Sparrows by Takashi Matsuoka.

Are you familiar with Japanese history from around 1860? I really enjoyed Matsuoka's novel, but I'm wondering just how historically accurate it is. Some events that (allegedly) took place in 1860 according to the author:

"Outsiders" were showing up in steamships with gunpowder cannons and firearms. The Japanese had seen the Dutch 200 years earlier, but kicked them out. They're only just getting re-aquainted with the rest of the world.

An American vessel shelled a district of a major Japanese city killing lots of people (I don't have the book handy, I'm afraid).

Any insight you could lend would be greatly appreciated.

I was gonna type up a reply, but basically any "knowledge" I have on this subject has been gained through the popular media (manga, anime, movies), so I really don't know much of anything. And decided I probably shouldn't pretend that I do. My knowledge of Japan is strictly limited to the language and cultural aspects.

So instead, here's a link to the end of seclusion in Japan on wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Japan#End_of_seclusion

That section and the section after it about the Meiji Restoration should be useful for brief overviews of what happened.

HappyLady
December 5th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the board! Hey, I sent you a Private Message with a question. Please read it...well...as soon as you can...but now would be good. It is a language question that has been bugging me for days now. I will appreciate it greatly! Thank you! (Don't mind me. :insane: )

Snoop
December 5th, 2005, 03:26 PM
I just read something on gamespot.com and 10 people guessed where your name originated - I guess it isn't a secret after all. It has something to do with the DaVinci Code - but I'm still clueless.

Mr. Hyde
December 5th, 2005, 04:35 PM
And I can't tell you what Daddaluma means because that would spoil Mr. Hyde's search. . .
That was the character's name.

Boss fight in Zozo!

http://www.ffonline.com/ff6/bosses.htm

Dunno why I didn't just think of that being the name.

Daddaluma
December 5th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I just read something on gamespot.com and 10 people guessed where your name originated - I guess it isn't a secret after all. It has something to do with the DaVinci Code - but I'm still clueless.

What gave you the idea that my name comes from the Da Vinci Code?

That was the character's name.

Boss fight in Zozo!

http://www.ffonline.com/ff6/bosses.htm

Dunno why I didn't just think of that being the name.

Yeah :tup: Although I added a d, obviously.

FruitandNut
December 6th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Con ichi wa dadda san!

If you are freezing, you can always pop into the hot springs with the monkeys!

mrs_innocent
December 6th, 2005, 04:36 AM
Welcome Daddaluma! (Sorry, can't call you 'Dadda', as that is how my children refer to my husband. ;) )

I have a relatively healthy interest in Japan. My husband was born in Yokohama; most of his family still lives in Japan (though I don't have the slightest idea where).

Daddaluma
December 6th, 2005, 05:14 AM
Con ichi wa dadda san!

If you are freezing, you can always pop into the hot springs with the monkeys!

こんにちは、フルーツ・アンド・ナッツ

Ha :) actually, those are quite a ways north of where I am. In the true freezing tundra of Japan. I'm only on the edge of that big snowy mess. Although it would be great fun to bathe with monkeys . . .

Welcome Daddaluma! (Sorry, can't call you 'Dadda', as that is how my children refer to my husband. )

I've no problem when the people abbreviate my name, but really I'd prefer not to have my named shortened to something that implies some sort of paternal relation. So I can't say I'm sorry to hear that. . .

I have a relatively healthy interest in Japan. My husband was born in Yokohama; most of his family still lives in Japan (though I don't have the slightest idea where).

Well that is interesting. Is your husband Japanese? Or one of the exceedingly rare foreigners born in Japan?

mrs_innocent
December 6th, 2005, 05:18 AM
He is 1/2 Japanese (mother's Japanese). Father was in the Navy; he was born with dual citizenship.

sylouette
December 6th, 2005, 08:13 AM
I've no problem when the people abbreviate my name, but really I'd prefer not to have my named shortened to something that implies some sort of paternal relation. So I can't say I'm sorry to hear that. . .

How about just "Da"?;)

Mr. Hyde
December 6th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Then I shall call you Luma.

CC
December 6th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Welcome Daddaluma. I do have a question for you. My wife is a school teacher. Since she teaches in a rural farm area her salary is half of what she could make if she quit the school and opened a full-time fitness center.

I have heard that teachers are highly respected in Japan, (here, they are barely a notch above the janitor) and that besides being paid a fair wage they also allow plenty of time to make lesson plans, grade papers etc;. Is that true?
I like the ODN getting folks from around the globe. I believe it brings a great perspective on how the rest of the world sees things. Youkoso!...............:O)

Daddaluma
December 6th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Welcome Daddaluma. I do have a question for you. My wife is a school teacher. Since she teaches in a rural farm area her salary is half of what she could make if she quit the school and opened a full-time fitness center.

I have heard that teachers are highly respected in Japan, (here, they are barely a notch above the janitor) and that besides being paid a fair wage they also allow plenty of time to make lesson plans, grade papers etc;. Is that true?
I like the ODN getting folks from around the globe. I believe it brings a great perspective on how the rest of the world sees things. Youkoso!...............:O)

They are paid a fair wage here, I'd say, but it's not great. Public school teachers make the same or more in america, I'd say. My mother tells me that after 25 years or so, most of the teachers are making 90,000 or so where I live in the US, compared to maybe 70,000 or 80,000 (I'm guessing) here.

But they are forced to work a hell of alot longer here. I'm talking hours per week/day.

They aren't "given" plenty of time to make lessons and such, they're forced (really by social contract) to stay at work until 8 or later every day. They don't get time off when the students are off. They have vacation days just like any other business job. Every teacher must be affiliated with at least one club activity, which usually eats up their weekend time too. It's really quite a hellish job from what I can see.

I can't compare being a teacher in the states to being a teacher here, since I've never taught in the states (and really I don't know exactly what it's like to be a teacher here either), but my impression is that while you might get less respect as a teacher in the states, you've still got the long end of the stick overall.

Apokalupsis
December 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Daddaluma, be sure to go to our ODN Worldwide page (see front page menu on left) and show us where you live. ;)

CC
December 7th, 2005, 09:27 AM
My mother tells me that after 25 years or so, most of the teachers are making 90,000 or so where I live in the US
WOW! Must be in a big city somewhere. My wife has been teaching for almost 20 years and she doesn't gross $30,000 a year. Of course I hear that begining salaries for teachers in the state of Alaska is around $60,000. Just depends on where you are I guess......:O)

HappyLady
December 7th, 2005, 11:51 AM
WOW! Must be in a big city somewhere. My wife has been teaching for almost 20 years and she doesn't gross $30,000 a year. Of course I hear that begining salaries for teachers in the state of Alaska is around $60,000. Just depends on where you are I guess......:O)

Yes. Teachers in one county over from mine easily make 90k after about...10 years in. While teachers in one county over in the other direction are lucky to make 70k after the same number of years teaching.

Daddaluma
December 7th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Daddaluma, be sure to go to our ODN Worldwide page (see front page menu on left) and show us where you live. ;)

I tried. I can't for the life of me figure out how to make a new entry.

It says "to make a new entry click on your entry and blah blah blah"

How do I click on my entry if I haven't made one yet?!

FruitandNut
December 8th, 2005, 12:41 AM
I have just been looking at the ODN map, and wonder if the 'guy' down in Antarctica is a Scientist or an Emperor Penguin!

KevinBrowning
December 8th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Welcome, here's the rules (http://www.onlinedebate.net/index.php?page=rules). I hope you stay a while and have fun.