PDA

View Full Version : Formal Debates

emtee10
December 26th, 2005, 08:36 PM
So, what's happening with the whole idea of doing formal debates on ODN? Has the idea simply been forgotten, or is it one of those things which has been put on hold due to the new developments with ODN and ODC. I feel that it's probably the latter, but I decided to ask in case it was the former. I personally think it would be really nifty to implement a formalised system, perhaps based around oral debating styles such as parliamentary or Lincoln-Douglas.

It's one of those features that I'm really looking forward to. So, what say ye, mods? Does the future of ODN glimmer with the prospect of formal debates? :tup:

KevinBrowning
December 26th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Another one was being organized between teams of three Christians versus three atheists, which I was invited to participate in, but a lack of interest on the atheists' side caused it to be canceled.

After considering it I would like to be an observer or judge for the next formal debate, so I can see how well a variety of other members can do when trying their best. Since I am a moderator again, I will probably be asked to judge it as well, and that is fine with me.

emtee10
December 26th, 2005, 10:09 PM
Do you think that it's something which might be considered again once the major renovations of ODN are complete, and ODC is established?

KevinBrowning
December 26th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Do you think that it's something which might be considered again once the major renovations of ODN are complete, and ODC is established?

I certainly do. I think everyone involved (participants and observers) enjoyed the first formal debate, and there is no reason other than lack of interest it would be discontinued.

Since Apok would not be organizing or judging the debate anyway, I do not think the site improvements or creation of the other site would prevent a new formal debate from taking place as soon as it is desired. I think the members who want to participate will have to take the initiative, though. That said, I will make a thread now for topic suggestions and volunteers.

Trendem
May 11th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I was intending to make a thread asking the exact same question as emtee, but after searching I found this thread he made and decided to bump it instead.

What happened to formal debates? I really liked them. The imposition of a formal structure and selection of only a few reasonably competent people to participate makes for a more organised and intellectually rigorous exercise which is a joy to spectate.

Given the amount of newcomers in 2006, I highly doubt there would be a lack of eager participants for a formal debate. I myself will be more than happy to do so, though I would gladly cede the opportunity to more worthy members than me.

I would suggest that we choose a more original topic than those like religion, the death penalty and the like, so that the debate won't just be a dignified rehashing of the same old points. A topic which is both relevant and important in today's world yet not often debated on ODN. I have a few topics in mind, but I shall wait for more responses before posting them, to see where the consensus stands.

emtee10
May 11th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I'd still be game for formal debates. I do (Canadian) parliamentary-style debating in real life, and I think it would be awesome to convert this style or something like it into a form that is compatible with ODN. I think it might add a fresh twist to the site, as it offers a whole new way for issues to be discussed.

I'm thinking, though, that it might be a good idea for a couple of people, who feel that they have a good grasp of how such a system might work, to perform a "show round" of debating in a thread which could then be used as an example of how formal debating can work.

starcreator
May 11th, 2006, 02:29 PM
I think doing one or two formal debates may be a neat idea, but I like the free flow style we have now for our mainstream debate. It would be nice, mind you, to have everyone outline their contentions at the start rather than having piecemeal contributions to the debate, bit by bit, as we do now.

My verdict: I'm all for some formal debate. I do a lot of it (in real life, as emtee said ;)) and find it a lot of fun, though very different from ODN debate. Perhaps a formal debate forum with structured rules may allow those who want a formal debate to start one.

emtee10
May 11th, 2006, 04:04 PM
starcreator, do you by any chance use Canadian Parliamentary Style in real life?

Trendem
May 15th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Is there no one else interested?