PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1942.

Mr. Hyde
January 1st, 2006, 07:32 PM
I picked this up the other day and started playing. I'm not terrible, but I'm not terribly great either.

Does anyone else play this? I usually play on one of two servers, which I'd have to go back to playing to remember the names of.

Anyways, the coolest thing about it to me is playing as a Scout.

Getting the Sniper Rifle out and crawling up on a hill or in some busted up building or in a bunker, and just waiting for other scouts to show up. And the best thing is, you can always tell WHERE they're going to be. Just look for any place you'd shoot from.

Best levels so far that I've played:

Omaha Beach (US v. Germans)
Guadalcanal (US v. Japanese)
Iwo Jima (US v. Japanese)
Battle of Midway (US v. Japanese)
Liberation of Caen (Canadians v. Germans)

AND

Stalingrad. (Russians v. Germans)

The english are fun in the desert levels when you fight Rommel's Afrika Korps (just German player characters. Not ACTUALLY Rommel or anything).

You can fly planes, pilot tanks, battleships, transport boats, APCs, Jeeps, and a plethora of other vehicles as well as man MG nests and take control of the Ship guns and DEF Guns and Anti-air cannons or Artillery cannons.

Each country generally has it's own weapons.

The Canadians, to me, have by FAR the best Assault Soldier weapon. And the Americans are best for Engineers (the rifle the US engineer uses doesn't need reloading after every shot). The Scout is generally the same for all classes (though I prefer the German).

Anyone else play? If not, START playing. It only costs 9.99 now and the expansion packs aren't much either. Not to mention the loads of mods for the game.

Greatest Moment so far:

It's the Liberation of Caen map and I'm playing as a German Scout. I man a small motorised raft across the river and drop out onto the muddy ground crawling uphill to the first tree I can use as cover. Staring through my scope I see the target capture point, a Church two streets away.

But there's a problem. I'm using a bolt action rifle and there's tons of places for snipers to hide and even more for assault troops to come out blazing. And those damned Canadians are fierce warriors when they're not playing hockey. I head North across the first street to set myself due East of the Church. This puts some buildings between me and my enemies.

I charge into an alley and crouch down. Using my scope I stare out at the graveyard and bombed out sections trying to spot any enemy snipers that may be out there. Seeing none, I turn to my left and climb a ladder to the top of a building. And what do I see there? A Canadian Sniper popping off rounds at my Jerry team mates. Rather than expose my position with a gun shot, I draw my knife and carry him to a quick death. Then laying down, I have CLEAR view of the entire East side of the Church, and every inch of the graveyard south of it.

I crawl to the edge and glance to the Belltower of the Church. And two Snipers are there. I crack off a round and one goes down just as my screen goes red. BOOM I'm hit. I try to stand and fire, have some mobility and a bit of retreatability. But BAM.....I get popped. It was tense man. IN-FRIGGIN-TENSE!

FruitandNut
January 1st, 2006, 07:46 PM
I am a bit puzzled about the game's title since so many of the scenarios are post 1942.

ps. I got more of a buzz of adrenalin when I was bending down in a shallow trench (on a firing range) with 'my' target marker and experiencing some rubbish shooting from a fellow cadet whose bursts of fire from his Bren LMG were kicking up sand and wood spinters only a couple of inches above my crouching body. I could 'feel the breeze'.

Mr. Hyde
January 1st, 2006, 08:32 PM
I am a bit puzzled about the game's title since so many of the scenarios are post 1942.
I dunno, I don't worry about the name so much as the fun of playing.

ps. I got more of a buzz of adrenalin when I was bending down in a shallow trench (on a firing range) with 'my' target marker and experiencing some rubbish shooting from a fellow cadet whose bursts of fire from his Bren LMG were kicking up sand and wood spinters only a couple of inches above my crouching body. I could 'feel the breeze'.
Alas, I was not built for the regimented lifestyle. Give me a gun, point at a target, and I can hit with it. Not everytime mind you, but most of the time. Last time I ever fired a gun was my brother's AK and that was MONTHS ago.

But if you want adrenaline, get a paintball gun and some friends, and have at each other in a real life CTF game. Now THAT is excitement.

FruitandNut
January 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM
Paintballing and that 'soft' BB stuff are becoming quite popular over this side of the Pond. My younger son is into both.

sylouette
January 2nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
I picked this up the other day and started playing. I'm not terrible, but I'm not terribly great either.

Does anyone else play this? I usually play on one of two servers, which I'd have to go back to playing to remember the names of.

Anyways, the coolest thing about it to me is playing as a Scout.

Getting the Sniper Rifle out and crawling up on a hill or in some busted up building or in a bunker, and just waiting for other scouts to show up. And the best thing is, you can always tell WHERE they're going to be. Just look for any place you'd shoot from.

Best levels so far that I've played:

Omaha Beach (US v. Germans)
Guadalcanal (US v. Japanese)
Iwo Jima (US v. Japanese)
Battle of Midway (US v. Japanese)
Liberation of Caen (Canadians v. Germans)

AND

Stalingrad. (Russians v. Germans)

The english are fun in the desert levels when you fight Rommel's Afrika Korps (just German player characters. Not ACTUALLY Rommel or anything).

You can fly planes, pilot tanks, battleships, transport boats, APCs, Jeeps, and a plethora of other vehicles as well as man MG nests and take control of the Ship guns and DEF Guns and Anti-air cannons or Artillery cannons.

Each country generally has it's own weapons.

The Canadians, to me, have by FAR the best Assault Soldier weapon. And the Americans are best for Engineers (the rifle the US engineer uses doesn't need reloading after every shot). The Scout is generally the same for all classes (though I prefer the German).

Anyone else play? If not, START playing. It only costs 9.99 now and the expansion packs aren't much either. Not to mention the loads of mods for the game.

Greatest Moment so far:

It's the Liberation of Caen map and I'm playing as a German Scout. I man a small motorised raft across the river and drop out onto the muddy ground crawling uphill to the first tree I can use as cover. Staring through my scope I see the target capture point, a Church two streets away.

But there's a problem. I'm using a bolt action rifle and there's tons of places for snipers to hide and even more for assault troops to come out blazing. And those damned Canadians are fierce warriors when they're not playing hockey. I head North across the first street to set myself due East of the Church. This puts some buildings between me and my enemies.

I charge into an alley and crouch down. Using my scope I stare out at the graveyard and bombed out sections trying to spot any enemy snipers that may be out there. Seeing none, I turn to my left and climb a ladder to the top of a building. And what do I see there? A Canadian Sniper popping off rounds at my Jerry team mates. Rather than expose my position with a gun shot, I draw my knife and carry him to a quick death. Then laying down, I have CLEAR view of the entire East side of the Church, and every inch of the graveyard south of it.

I crawl to the edge and glance to the Belltower of the Church. And two Snipers are there. I crack off a round and one goes down just as my screen goes red. BOOM I'm hit. I try to stand and fire, have some mobility and a bit of retreatability. But BAM.....I get popped. It was tense man. IN-FRIGGIN-TENSE!

http://www.blueblood.net/boards/images/smilies2/crash.gif

FruitandNut
January 2nd, 2006, 06:45 AM
syl - you were a tad long-winded in that last post, can't you abbreviate it?

sylouette
January 2nd, 2006, 09:20 AM
S.g.! = Stupid Game!

Mr. Hyde
January 2nd, 2006, 07:12 PM
I didn't have a chance at all today to play it. Not that it would've mattered. i found myself...distracted.

FruitandNut
January 3rd, 2006, 04:31 AM
I didn't have a chance at all today to play it. Not that it would've mattered. i found myself...distracted.

I hope 'she' was worth it! :tup: :devil: :blush:

sylouette
January 3rd, 2006, 07:33 AM
I hope 'she' was worth it! :tup: :devil: :blush:

I hope she is too.;)