PDA

View Full Version : Current Project(s).

Mr. Hyde
January 7th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Since we haven't discussed the Tao Te Ching, has everyone read it?

Since we haven't yet made it to the reading part of Choke, has everyone bought it?

sylouette
January 7th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Since we haven't discussed the Tao Te Ching, has everyone read it?

:no:

Since we haven't yet made it to the reading part of Choke, has everyone bought it?

:no:

Jamie
January 7th, 2006, 05:55 PM
No, I haven't got my hands on Choke. I was at the book store today but got distracted by a different series of books. Oops. Tao Te Ching I have read.

sylouette
January 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I don't have a book store ANYWHERE close to me.

*writes in reminder book* Have Hyde help Syl get "Choke" while visiting.

Jamie
January 8th, 2006, 06:38 PM
Syl, you can purchase books from www.amazon.com at a decent price.

sylouette
January 9th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Thank you, Jamie. I knew that however, I'm the worst procrastinator on earth.

zephyr999
January 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Oh well i'm waiting!I got 'choke' and started reading.The refernce to symbolism in society is really amazing.

FruitandNut
January 12th, 2006, 02:52 PM
Going in to town tomorrow or Saturday, so I will pick up a copy of Choke at Waterstone's or W.H.Smith then.

Mr. Hyde
January 16th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Sylouette has my copy of Choke, so she'll be reading that for the discussion. I've read the story twice, so I gave her mine and I'm "good to go."

sylouette
January 18th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Ummm....what's our time frame for reading this? :offtopic: I haven't read but one chapter so far since returning because I've been pretty "weak...and tired".

southernbelle
January 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
Can someone tell me what both books are about so I can decide if I want to take part?? Thanks.

Mr. Hyde
January 23rd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Can someone tell me what both books are about so I can decide if I want to take part?? Thanks.

Tao Te Ching. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060812451/qid=1138066846/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-5458487-8628863?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

Book Description

Lao-tzu's Tao Te Ching, or Book of the Way, is the classic manual on the art of living, and one of the wonders of the world. In eighty-one brief chapters, the Tao Te Ching looks at the basic predicament of being alive and gives advice that imparts balance and perspective, a serene and generous spirit. This book is about wisdom in action. It teaches how to work for the good with the effortless skill that comes from being in accord with the Tao (the basic principle of the universe) and applies equally to good government and sexual love; to child rearing, business, and ecology.

Stephen Mitchell's bestselling version has been widely acclaimed as a gift to contemporary culture.

Choke. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385720920/qid=1138067028/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-5458487-8628863?s=books&v=glance&n=283155)

Book Description
Victor Mancini, a medical-school dropout, is an antihero for our deranged times. Needing to pay elder care for his mother, Victor has devised an ingenious scam: he pretends to choke on pieces of food while dining in upscale restaurants. He then allows himself to be “saved” by fellow patrons who, feeling responsible for Victor’s life, go on to send checks to support him. When he’s not pulling this stunt, Victor cruises sexual addiction recovery workshops for action, visits his addled mom, and spends his days working at a colonial theme park. His creator, Chuck Palahniuk, is the visionary we need and the satirist we deserve.

sylouette
January 23rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
And don't forget you have to apply for the "Elite" Book club if you haven't already.

southernbelle
January 24th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I haven't ever joined a book club, but, have always wanted to. I read quite alot, but, run out of things that I find interesting enough to read. Been toiling through the "classics" lately, my high school never made me read them, and while I ponder what to attend college for, I thought I'd give them a shot. But, Choke sounds interesting. Might give it a shot. Thanks.

Mr. Hyde
January 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM
How's everyone coming along?

Who has a copy and who doesn't?

sylouette
January 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I'm only on chapter 5 :blush: Guess I need to take time off of ODN to read a bit eh?

Mr. Hyde
February 10th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Okay people. Where are we with the books?

How many have bought? How many started reading? Or should it just be abandoned now?

sylouette
February 11th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Still on chapter 5. :blush:

I'm finding it difficult to focus on reading a book these days.

Mr. Hyde
February 11th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Still on chapter 5. :blush:

I'm finding it difficult to focus on reading a book these days.

WHAT!? You're not even at the part about the anal beads if I remember right! And that's one of the best parts and LEADS to the THE best part!

sylouette
February 13th, 2006, 06:50 AM
WHAT!? You're not even at the part about the anal beads if I remember right! And that's one of the best parts and LEADS to the THE best part!

Shuffles through pages....."beads, beads, beads....!"

sylouette
February 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Well I got to chapter 8 today......*sigh*

"Pathetic" isn't the right word.....but it's the first word that comes to mind.

Mr. Hyde
February 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM
"Pathetic" isn't the right word.....but it's the first word that comes to mind.

At least you've got a copy and you're reading. ;)

sylouette
March 7th, 2006, 10:15 AM
I'm on chapter 15 now. Only 34 chapters to go! *sigh*

It's definitely entertaining though. I'm finding myself laughing out loud at a few points.

Mr. Hyde
March 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM
I'm on chapter 15 now. Only 34 chapters to go! *sigh*

It's definitely entertaining though. I'm finding myself laughing out loud at a few points.
Excellent. Won't be long before you finish. The chapters aren't long, which you know by now, so the 34 should shrink away quickly.