PDA

View Full Version : Hi

Duo
January 27th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Haven't been here in a while, I just got a 2 day ban for calling someone on their use of fallacies, lies and fabrications and was well under the limit for such actions in terms of warnings.

There are rules aganist using fallacies, lies and fabrications here right? Or you just make the users feel like crap?

sylouette
January 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Haven't been here in a while, I just got a 2 day ban for calling someone on their use of fallacies, lies and fabrications and was well under the limit for such actions in terms of warnings.

It takes quite a bit for somebody to get banned here, and Apok is very very fair about that.......so I would imagine you're not telling the entire story.

GoldPhoenix
January 27th, 2006, 04:45 PM
ditto

Mr. Hyde
January 27th, 2006, 05:09 PM
I think Duo got banned from another site.

Either way, I didn't see a rule about calling people on fallacies, and fallacies themselves I didn't see as being against the rules, however, calling someone a liar or a fraud is generally in poor taste and depending on some things might be considered a flame, but I'm not sure. "That's a Lie!" would seem okay, though a bit knee jerkish, while "You're a liar" would be a flame I think.

Either way, just point out fallacies and inconsistencies.

FruitandNut
January 27th, 2006, 07:11 PM
Duo - I think that to call someone in so many words are being 'a liar' is pretty strong stuff that in fairness requires very convincing evidence. My parents used to prefer to refer to someone as being a 'stranger to the truth'.

Meng Bomin
January 27th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I don't recall Duo being banned and his IP addresses don't match those of anyone else. Doing a search of his past posts, I found nothing inflamatory. I believe it was another forum from which he was banned.

Apokalupsis
January 28th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Duo, if someone commits a fallacy, call them on it. It's a part of debate, not site management. That is, a member will not get into trouble by the staff for fallacious reasoning. The member will however, have his/her argument attacked or dismissed if it contains fallacious reasoning. Usually, an explanation for the charge is given by the responder.

Does that answer your question?

Zhavric
January 28th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Duo = Duo Maxwell?

Duo
January 29th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Yes Zhavric.

Kinda Aop.

I never called him a liar. I never called him any of those names. I just highlighted every fallacy with its proper name, and then countered every fabrication.

The guy litterally made up what he wanted and then attacked me on it. I can link you the site but I remember you guys have a rule aganist that. There were also a number of other users who protested such moderated action and it was only a 2 day ban with a few mods themselves disagreeing with the verdict.

FruitandNut
January 30th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Duo - Get over it, life's too short to get hung up on the issue. Learn what there is to learn and move on.

Duo
January 30th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Duo - Get over it, life's too short to get hung up on the issue. Learn what there is to learn and move on.

That genocide is not a bad idea when the right target is in mind. Some people deserve to be shot, not protected.