PDA

View Full Version : hope to talk: Absolute Truth as the origin of relativity

RonoftheKings
February 1st, 2006, 10:51 PM
hey everyone. Hope to mingle minds soon. My wonder is the chicken and egg debate of Einstein's mind. Which came first, the Theory of "Absolute Truth." Also, Why do scientists separate mathematics from it's appropriate, and "layman," field of comprehension. Wouldn't it be more fulfilling, and a greater knowledge of its relevance would be an added reward. It has become apparent to me why math is so unpopular, most have no idea how to use what they learn. For example, I recently took a test to advance through College Pre-Algebra(so embarrassing). I skated through algebra and geometry in high school and focused on scientific theory, which demanded little calculation. But, for the past nine years, my passion has revolved around understanding all the metaphysic, organic, geological and particle/wave theory I could find. that gave me an uncanny feeling of confidence in understanding algebraic and geometric equations. I had never been taught the curriculum of the test, and yet I aced it. I believe most people could have passed it, but only if they approached it like I did, like a laboratory study. Which works out perfectly because it also allows you to appreciate math the more you study the universal science. This is much more gratifying than approaching it as bull**** busy work that will be momentarily useless.

FruitandNut
February 2nd, 2006, 12:46 AM
Welcome RonoftheKings - Over here in the UK we have a branch of Maths at junior school that is referred to as 'problems' which seeks to link arithmetic to real and scenario/hypothetical situations. At senior/high school and university there is applied mathematics to augment the applied sciences.

KevinBrowning
February 2nd, 2006, 04:54 PM
Welcome. I hate math, but maybe we'll find something else to discuss.

Dionysus
February 2nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
My wonder is the chicken and egg debate of Einstein's mind.I can't do no "math cypherin' ", but I can lend my view on the Chicken/Egg bit. If the Chicken represents a final actuality, and if the egg represents potentiality, and if actuality supersedes potentiality, then the chicken came first.

sylouette
February 2nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
I can't do no "math cypherin' ", but I can lend my view on the Chicken/Egg bit. If the Chicken represents a final actuality, and if the egg represents potentiality, and if actuality supersedes potentiality, then the chicken came first.

NOPE! YOU'RE WRONG!

HappyLady
February 2nd, 2006, 06:28 PM
Welcome King Ron. I think you'll find a lot of members here have strong analytical skills. I am more of a visual thinker. (translation..."I suck at math.") I've taken graduate level statistics...and even got a 4.0...but...don't ask me how. As a matter of fact, don't even ask me to explain anything about that class. (I'm such a slacker.)

So, while I may not be very good at debating you regarding the chicken and the egg mathematically, I'm sure I will make many statements that you will assure you that I am :insane:, which can make for fun debating.

My uncle sounds a little like you. He is an absolutely brilliant mathmetician. He and I like to discuss things like theories of the universe. I draw pretty pictures and then he says, "Do you know what you just drew?" And I say, "No." And then he plugs in numbers and letters and plots points and makes sense of the whole thing as one of the existing theories of the dimensions of the universe! But...I still don't get it. :dunno:

Welcome! Enjoy!

Dionysus
February 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
NOPE! YOU'RE WRONG!What a devastating retort. I bow to your impenetrable reason. ||

MrFungus420
February 2nd, 2006, 10:29 PM
I can't do no "math cypherin' ", but I can lend my view on the Chicken/Egg bit. If the Chicken represents a final actuality, and if the egg represents potentiality, and if actuality supersedes potentiality, then the chicken came first.

You're thinking about it too hard. It's obvious that the egg came first. After all, dinosaurs were laying eggs millions of years before there were chickens...

Meng Bomin
February 2nd, 2006, 10:42 PM
Good job on the college placement exams and welcome to ODN.

FruitandNut
February 3rd, 2006, 01:21 AM
Something very close indeed to being a chicken produced/caused mutation(s)/evolutionary difference within the embryo in the first egg to produce a full blown chicken. Ergo Sum, it was a fertilised egg that produced the first chicken, so the answer to which came first has got to be - THE EGG.

southernbelle
February 3rd, 2006, 07:28 AM
My brain hurts from just reading that post. Well, welcome...I am not a mathematical mind in the least, so, don't expect me to be able to keep up with any questions if numbers are involved. It is a miracle I passed High School math (and I took the dummy classes), I'm dreading starting college. Trying to find something where I don't have to take math. And gettingoff the subject..can some of you geniuses out there explain to me why I need to take math if I want to be a Literature professor..or learn art history??!! Anyway...I know there are plenty of people here that are on you "smart" level. Welcome and try to enjoy some of our more idiotic debates.

southernbelle
February 3rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
By the way..the chicken came first...if the egg came first..who would sit on it for it to hatch???

mrs_innocent
February 3rd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Welcome Ron...

I have no input on the chicken/egg debate (though my 6 year old has a handful of theories, lol). I'm not exactly what I would consider to be mathematically inclined. Like southernbelle, it's a wonder I made it out of high school math, and now I'm struggling with Statistics (I curse the course every single night before I sleep).

sylouette
February 3rd, 2006, 08:05 PM
What a devastating retort. I bow to your impenetrable reason. ||

*curtsies* THANK YOU!

I think?

BTW.....welcome Ron...although I haven't seen you back since you posted this thread. *shrugs*

PerVirtuous
February 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM
NOPE! YOU'RE WRONG!

Sorry, Syl. But, not only does Dio have statistics on his side, evolution would also suggest that what laid the egg was not a chicken per se, but what came out of the egg was. Therefore, the egg came first.

I like the title of this thread. It's straight as circular logic.

chadn737
February 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM
Personally I prefer learning math in a purer sense, rather than tring to learn it and apply it at the same time. The problem with trying to learn a subject, especially math, and then applying it is that then your entire understanding for the most part resolves around those few applications you learned with little foundation of the basic reasons behind it all. So later on down the road, when your asked to apply it to a totally different scenario, you cant, because you have little understanding of the fundamentals. I've encountered this problem when I took a calculus class based on biological problems. When I had to apply it to physics my mind kept trying to refer back to the biological application and it got me no-where. Eventually I just decided to relearn it on my own in a pure sense, with little emphasis on application. It took a lot more work to understand the concepts without the aid of a real-world picture, but once I did get it everything made much more sense and it was a rather simple matter to apply it to any variety of fields.

Teach the pure math first, application later.

GoldPhoenix
February 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Good luck figuring out Trigonometry, Calculus, or Physics without having classes in them prior to taking the test...

I'm currently in Trig, and I'm going to take AP Calculus and AP Statistics next year. The more math classes, the better IMO.

chadn737
February 6th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Good luck figuring out Trigonometry, Calculus, or Physics without having classes in them prior to taking the test...

I'm currently in Trig, and I'm going to take AP Calculus and AP Statistics next year. The more math classes, the better IMO.

Make sure you get get your trignometry and algebra down. Calculus is relatively easy, at least in my own opinion, its the algebra that comes afterwards that usually gets people.

FruitandNut
February 7th, 2006, 03:49 AM
By the way..the chicken came first...if the egg came first..who would sit on it for it to hatch???

The 'very close to being a chicken' thing. A kind of developed flying dinosaur thing.

Dinosaurs and reptiles had/have species that in effect baby sit their eggs.

PerVirtuous
February 8th, 2006, 02:37 AM
Good luck figuring out Trigonometry, Calculus, or Physics without having classes in them prior to taking the test....

Not really. They ask every question, in standardized tests, three ways. One way shows you the equation form one angle and gives you part of the answer. The second way highlights another part of the equation and gives another part of the answer. The third way highlights yet another part of the equation and gives a third part of the answer. If you remember them all, they have given you the entire answer. The test is not looking for rote memory, it is looking for understanding. If you can put the three answers together and go back and fill in the first two boxes after discovering the third, they are happy.

It has been my experience that all standardized tests are using this format. I write notes on the answer sheet next to every unanswered, or unsurely answered, question as to what subject the question was about. Then I can find them better when I find the other parts of the answer. I got a phenomenal SAT score from using this method.

sylouette
February 8th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Sorry, Syl. But, not only does Dio have statistics on his side, evolution would also suggest that what laid the egg was not a chicken per se, but what came out of the egg was. Therefore, the egg came first.

Which goes to prove that Dio IS wrong! Hey...first time for everything..right?

GoldPhoenix
February 8th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Make sure you get get your trignometry and algebra down. Calculus is relatively easy, at least in my own opinion, its the algebra that comes afterwards that usually gets people.
Dude, I had a 103% in Algebra I, and I'm going to get a 104% ibn todays Trig test.

chadn737
February 8th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Dude, I had a 103% in Algebra I, and I'm going to get a 104% ibn todays Trig test.

Dude, I cant stand people who brag about grades. The reasons are many, but basically it boils down to the fact that I find such people to be annoying.

GoldPhoenix
February 10th, 2006, 01:43 PM
Dude, I cant stand people who brag about grades. The reasons are many, but basically it boils down to the fact that I find such people to be annoying.
Oh no, I agree. I hate people who do it to, I'm just stressing that math is really easy for me.

Grades depend on too many factors to actually depend on them -- schools, teachers, subjects, etc. But in this case, I have a good teachers. Ironically I got a 92.5% on my test. *shrugs* Being too cocky is not good, =P.

*Note* I do judge by your grades in an AP class. AP classes are actually respectable.