PDA

View Full Version : Sign up & Voting

Iluvatar
March 31st, 2004, 12:05 PM
Hear ye! Hear ye!

There has been a number of people who wanted to form a group to discuss specific books. Until recenly, I haven't had time to do this, but I'm going to take a shot at it.
One thing we need, first, is a list of people who want to be in this group. If you want to, post here, and I will add your name to a list in this post(I'll then delete your post to make it easier to find important posts.

We also need to decide which book to start with. I've made this into a poll, with the books previously suggested as options.

Watch this thread, as Here is where I'll try to get this thing started.

People 'signed up'
Iluvatar
FruitandNut
Elicea
Tinkerbell
Linz
chadn737
Neverending
kneeless
sjjs
mrs_innocent
xennaq
KevinBrowining

Edit:This list is no longer ccomplete. The memeber list can be found <a href="http://www.onlinedebate.net/forums/showgroups.php?">here</a>.

Iluvatar
March 31st, 2004, 12:33 PM
Here's a few things on the administrative side that I want to get done:
-Make this and official group, which will show up in user profiles.
-Get a sub forum devoted to this

FruitandNut
March 31st, 2004, 01:53 PM
I'm interested - you, or any of the others pick the book - I'll 'go with the flow'. (Yuck, I'm a conformist after all!)

I think I am happy with your preference, even though I have not read it since my younger son had it as required reading along with 'Animal Farm' for his (fifth year) Eng Lit GCSE. Got the book somewhere along with the study notes.

Apokalupsis
March 31st, 2004, 02:50 PM
The usergroup "Book Club" has now been created. You may join it by going to your USERCP, then click "Join User Group"...you'll see it appear, click "Join". It will send a request to the system, I'll approve it.

Right now, it's more of a title status. Eventually, we'll incorporate certain perks (private forum discussions, perhaps discounts on products we may be selling later down the road, or something as simple as a title change, or little "card" that appears in your post info area to designate you as belonging to a community group).

I'll create a new forum for the Book Club soon.

Elicea
March 31st, 2004, 02:56 PM
hey..I like this idea!!! great thinking!!! I'm so in...

Iluvatar
March 31st, 2004, 06:19 PM
Well, according to the group statis, Tinkerbell is in, so I'll add her. Since Apok got the group thing working, be sure to join through that as well.

Linz
March 31st, 2004, 07:01 PM
I will join just tell me what we are reading so I can run out and get it...
Great idea... (I hope)

chadn737
March 31st, 2004, 07:08 PM
Count me in.

Meng Bomin
March 31st, 2004, 10:32 PM
I'm in too.

Iluvatar
April 1st, 2004, 03:38 AM
Well, we've got 8 memebers as of now. I'll wait for a few more, and tonight I will close the polls. Whatever has the highest votes wins.

sjjs
April 1st, 2004, 04:25 AM
I'm in. As long as there aren't lots of big words. Any chance of a book with nice pictures? :)

mrs_innocent
April 1st, 2004, 04:51 AM
Okay, count me in!

FruitandNut
April 1st, 2004, 11:42 AM
At this point it looks as though we may be mugging up on 'Big Brother'.

Iluvatar
April 1st, 2004, 12:22 PM
Ok. I'll set the polls to close at 9:00 tonight (I'm set at GMT-5), so I'll get the final book decision when I get home around 9:10. It looks like it's going to be 1984.

BTW, I'm suprised at the amount of support this thing is getting. Many of the prominent members have joined up. Anyone can still join, but after 9:00, those who haven't voted will have to wait till the next one.

Edit:Well, it only lets you edit the poll by days, so it'll end at 3:00 on 3/2/04.

KneeLess
April 1st, 2004, 04:22 PM
Just tell me when to have the first chapter done by. :)

xennaq
April 2nd, 2004, 09:06 AM
Sign me up. I hope we eventuall ge to discuss all the books on the list cause they all seem good.

Iluvatar
April 2nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Ok, looks like we're doing 1984, by Orwell. In half an hour or so, I'll post the datesfor when we should get the chapters done by. Rememeber, this is experimental. If it seems we're going to slow or fast, PM or Email me, so I'll know, and try to improve next book.

Also, there are several people who are on my list, but have not joinedd throught he forum group feature.

Got to
main forum page -> User CP ->group memberships (under Miscellaneous, at the bottome left) -> Join Book Club

To view those officialy in the group, go to
main forum page -> view forum leaders (bottom of the page, just under 1-1 debates ->Book club

BTW, if you can't buy the book or get it from a library, a good online version is http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984/

KevinBrowning
April 2nd, 2004, 12:17 PM
I want to join.

Apokalupsis
April 2nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
fyi: I'm going to create a hack that will display a graphic image for those currently in the book club that will display under their avatar. This will help identify those who are and are not a part of this club...more of an identifier than anything else. I hope to expand this feature into a more elaborate system that allows certain perks to those in this club.

Iluvatar
April 2nd, 2004, 01:10 PM
Ok, here's the plan: For this book, we'll do 4 days per chapter. there are 17 chapters, so we'll finish in 68 days. This means that we'll finish on Friday, June 11th. The first chapter should be read by Sunday, April 4th. Starting then, we'll discuss the book.

I'll start a new thread, which will be stickied, where we can discuss the book. Let's refrain from discussing chapter's whose due date has not yet come, so as to not spoil it for people who haven't read that far yet. I will keep an up-to-date post at the top of the discussion thread, saying what chapter we're on, and when we have to have the next one done.

This is not a school asignment, so we can be pretty lax about reading the chapters, but to activly participate in the discussion, you should have read most of what the group has read.

I think I'm also going to create a rules/feedback page if I have time tonight.

Iluvatar
April 2nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
There are several of you who way you want in, but haven't actualy joined. These people are:
FruitandNut
Elicea
Xennaq
Please use the join group feature in your user cp. Once the book discussing begins, I will no longer accept people into the club (although I may be lenient on the first one), and they will ahve to wait untill the next one is getting ready to start.

FruitandNut
April 2nd, 2004, 02:57 PM
Regretably I will miss some input, but will enjoy reading your stuff later. I have a thyroidectomy to experience in Room 101, on 27th April, and there are one or two medical preliminaries - looks like it is not the big C, thank God, or nature, or most likely both. I hope it is not Big Brother who cuts at my throat!

FruitandNut
April 2nd, 2004, 03:06 PM
I've tried to log in using my user CP, but everything seems closed and sending me around in a circle. Can anything be done, will you take my interest/ membership as a reality?

FruitandNut
April 2nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Cracked the beast - got in! Must of been having a 'senior' moment.

Apokalupsis
April 2nd, 2004, 07:59 PM
I see your request in the system FN...Iluvatar will accept the request when he signs on again. ;)

FruitandNut
April 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
Ta very much.

sjjs
April 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Isn't that a bit optimistic? Unfortunately I have to feed my capatilistic business and create wealth for myself so can't afford time to read a chapter so soon. Plus there's a need for pondering moments. Why rush so much? Why not allow a little more time to read and consider?

My comments will have to be few and far between if there's such a speedy time frame. If it were a book I'd never read then the comments would be rare.

Sklic
April 7th, 2004, 07:50 AM
I want in. muahaha.

Iluvatar
April 7th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Got to
main forum page -> User CP ->group memberships (under Miscellaneous, at the bottome left) -> Join Book Club

KevinBrowning
May 6th, 2004, 04:06 PM
I want in. muahaha.
That was my best friend, David. I am trying to get him to come back and be a frequent poster here. He had a bad experience with a debate board called 404 Error, where almost everyone was an atheist and completely intolerant and mocking of Christians. I am trying to convince him that there are people who believe many different things here, but they all respect each other.

Shadow Fury
May 25th, 2004, 11:07 PM
well, i'm signed up, i'll be joining soon ;)

Apokalupsis
May 26th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Iluvatar is leading the BK. He will be taking a very long vacation soon. The BK will be suspended for this time, OR, one of the existing BK members may lead the next discussion if they like. Just let me know if you are interested (you must be a participant in the last BK discussion to qualify).

Iluvatar
May 26th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Iluvatar is leading the BK.
I'm also leading the BC, if anyone wants to join that ;)

Shadow Fury, you've been accepted.

Does anyone who's already a memeber want to lead this thing? I'm leaving for a bout of camping for much of the summer, starting early July, late June, can't remember. Basicly, the person will have to keep this book going, and get the next book set up. I don't really have enough time to run the BC as it is, so they'll probably keep the job when I get back.

Meng Bomin
May 26th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Does anyone who's already a memeber want to lead this thing? I'm leaving for a bout of camping for much of the summer, starting early July, late June, can't remember. I would but I have the same problem. I have a trip starting mid-June ending late June and a trip starting on June 30 (my birthday) and ending two weeks later.

KneeLess
May 26th, 2004, 07:13 PM
I have no problem doing it, unless another BC member wants to more than me.

KevinBrowning
May 26th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Iluvatar is leading the BK. He will be taking a very long vacation soon. The BK will be suspended for this time, OR, one of the existing BK members may lead the next discussion if they like. Just let me know if you are interested (you must be a participant in the last BK discussion to qualify).
I sent you a message saying I am willing to.