PDA

View Full Version : Greetings to all

unkcheetah
April 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Greetings.

I really thirst for some intelligent debate. Hopefully there will be a few on this sight that won't so easily be smited. In the end though, all will kneel before me.

Let's roll.

CliveStaples
April 27th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Greetings.

I really thirst for some intelligent debate. Hopefully there will be a few on this sight that won't so easily be smited. In the end though, all will kneel before me.

Let's roll.

Welcome.

By the way, the guy who became famous for saying "Let's roll" on 9/11, Todd Beamer, went to Wheaton College, where I just got home from.

sylouette
April 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Greetings.

Yeah, well, we'll let you just keep believing that.....for now. ;)

In the meantime, welcome to ODN. I noticed you were referred here through the Wikepedia website.

Can you tell us what part of that sparked your interest to join here?

Apokalupsis
April 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM
In the end though, all will kneel before me.

"All" is a universal quantifier. It includes "the self". We can substitute the quantifier with any entity to which all infers. unkcheetah is one such entity. So it must be the case:

unkcheetah will kneel before me.

Kneeling in a debate, is a concession.

Very well, I accept.

-----------

Welcome to ODN. ;)

unkcheetah
April 27th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I noticed you were referred here through the Wikepedia website.
Can you tell us what part of that sparked your interest to join here?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I have been spending some time on Yahoo Financial Message Boards as one of my hobbies is losing money. On occasion an argument or debate would erupt about politics, war, environmentalism, etc. I had a really good time with that, but they are short lived debates and always left me wanting more so I did a search on "online debating". Wikapedia was on of the results. I scrolled down to the bottom of the page for the links and found this site. Here I am.

unkcheetah
April 27th, 2006, 09:09 AM
"All" is a universal quantifier. It includes "the self". We can substitute the quantifier with any entity to which all infers. unkcheetah is one such entity. So it must be the case:

unkcheetah will kneel before me.

Kneeling in a debate, is a concession.

Very well, I accept.

-----------

Welcome to ODN. ;)
Let's see. Let me just look up "universal quantifier"... Okay, let me rephrase that.

Y'all will kneel before me.

KevinBrowning
April 27th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Greetings.

Let's roll.

Before you get to smiting everyone on the site, you might want to learn how to spell site.

Welcome to ODN.

Apokalupsis
April 27th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Let's see. Let me just look up "universal quantifier"... Okay, let me rephrase that.

Y'all will kneel before me.
Well...how can I argue with that?

You win! :tup:

unkcheetah
April 27th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Before you get to smiting everyone on the site, you might want to learn how to spell site.

Weclome to ODN.
Just an oversight. The result of having my three year old on my lap requiring half my attention.

KevinBrowning
April 27th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Just an oversight. The result of having my three year old on my lap requiring half my attention.

Understandable, just meeting your bold challenge with a similar attitude. Hope to see you in the debates.

Dionysus
April 27th, 2006, 09:43 AM

Weclome to ODN.Ah, the sweet, sweet irony... :lol:

KevinBrowning
April 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Ah, the sweet, sweet irony... :lol:

You had to point that out. Although I must counter that mine was a mere letter reversal from a typing error, while his was a mistaken homophone. And of course, to be literal, your sentence incorrectly ends with three periods, rather than one.

unkcheetah
April 27th, 2006, 10:08 AM
You quibble. The real point is that I shall smite you. Consider yourself smited. I will be posting a topic for debate later today. Possibly on geopolitics, globalism or both.

Hope to see you there.

southernbelle
April 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I really thirst for some intelligent debate

so....you...came...here?

Ahahaha...calm down everyone....it was a joke. May I suggest, the polital debates, and the religious debates..those are pretty intense...that's why I stay out of them. haha. Welcome, by the way.

Andacanavar
April 27th, 2006, 12:41 PM
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/03/23/25/image_1825233.jpg

That is all.

sylouette
April 27th, 2006, 01:33 PM
You had to point that out. Although I must counter that mine was a mere letter reversal from a typing error, while his was a mistaken homophone. And of course, to be literal, your sentence incorrectly ends with three periods, rather than one.

Actually, that is not incorrect, KB. What he used is called an 'ellipsis'.

"Ellipsis Έλλειψις (plural: ellipses ελλείψεις, Greek for omission) in linguistics refers to any omitted part of speech that is understood; i.e. the omission is intentional. Analogously, in printing and writing, the term refers to the row of three spaced dots
( . . . ) or asterisks (* * *) indicating such an intentional omission. This punctuation mark is also called a suspension point, points of ellipsis or colloquially, dot-dot-dot.

An ellipsis can also be used to indicate a pause in speech, an unfinished thought or, at the end of a sentence, a trailing off into silence. Ellipses are sometimes used in this manner for internet chat, email, and forum posts."

Maybe he wrote an 'unfinished thought'... ;)

fatuitous
April 27th, 2006, 02:09 PM
*kneels before unkcheetah*

You are my master, I shall debate as thou wishest.

Consider me "Pre-Smitten."

Dionysus
April 27th, 2006, 02:16 PM
You had to point that out. Although I must counter that mine was a mere letter reversal from a typing error, while his was a mistaken homophone. And of course, to be literal, your sentence incorrectly ends with three periods, rather than one.Actually...

Maybe he wrote an 'unfinished thought'... ;)Precisely. ;)

KevinBrowning
April 27th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Ellipses are sometimes used in this manner for internet chat, email, and forum posts."[/I]

Maybe he wrote an 'unfinished thought'... ;)

I know what an ellipsis is. It's an informal device, and technically not correct. Also, he didn't include spaces between the periods. I will argue this trivial matter to the death.

Snoop
April 27th, 2006, 05:13 PM
I know what an ellipsis is. It's an informal device, and technically not correct. Also, he didn't include spaces between the periods. I will argue this trivial matter to the death.Kevin - three periods without spaces is correct for omitted content. The space comes after the third period.

sylouette
April 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM
I know what an ellipsis is. It's an informal device, and technically not correct. Also, he didn't include spaces between the periods. I will argue this trivial matter to the death.

Maybe a new thread is in line then...

Back to topic....Greetings to Unkcheetah! :tup:

unkcheetah
April 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks to the beautiful sylouette. And I do not think that is debatable.

unkcheetah
April 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Wow.

fatuitous
April 28th, 2006, 04:47 PM
What is it my master?

unkcheetah
April 29th, 2006, 01:07 AM
*kneels before unkcheetah*

You are my master, I shall debate as thou wishest.

Consider me "Pre-Smitten."
Thanks Fatuitous. What a welcome. To offer yourself up as a sacrifice is quite a gesture. But I will not smite you just yet. I think I will wait. And when I feel the need to smite someone I might smite you or smite someone who kinda reminds me of you, only to smite you afterward as a secondary reward.
Stand by.

mrs_innocent
April 29th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Welcome to ODN, unkcheetah. :)

fatuitous
April 29th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Hehe, the great one talked about me.

*giggles*

FruitandNut
April 29th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Greetings.

Let's roll.

Gleetings unk, I 'admire' your confidence, but take care not to confuse it with complacency 'cos there are some ornery ODNers liable to take you apart bit by painful bit.

fatuitous
April 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Yeah we won't just bow before you!

Oops, I messed that one up didn't I.

unkcheetah
April 29th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Gleetings unk, I 'admire' your confidence, but take care not to confuse it with complacency 'cos there are some ornery ODNers liable to take you apart bit by painful bit.

I am counting on that. In fact, I started out trying to get an aggressive response because I want a challenge. I want to weed out n00bs like Lucidium and KevinBrowning who will quibble over spacing between periods or mispelled words while ignore the content and context of the discussion. Or, what is the term you use for the long winded say nothings? Those guys too.

fatuitous
April 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Whoa, to say K.B. is a n00b because he has good punctuation is just...Whoa.

Have you actually read anything he's written other than that one thread? His firm belief in his religion is commendable, along with what his superb debating skills. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who thinks that, so don't go about calling people n00bs because their English skills don't suck. The only n00b I see is the guy that's been here two days and has already decided he is better than everyone else.

unkcheetah
April 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Whoa, to say K.B. is a n00b because he has good punctuation is just...Whoa.

Have you actually read anything he's written other than that one thread? His firm belief in his religion is commendable, along with what his superb debating skills. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who thinks that, so don't go about calling people n00bs because their English skills don't suck. The only n00b I see is the guy that's been here two days and has already decided he is better than everyone else.

So, the servant becomes the master. Relax little one I just want to stir things up. It's nothing personal. It has about being better than everyone. But if you don't start out swinging you will get knocked down quickly.

Would it make you feel better if I apologized to K.B.? Okay. I am sorry KevinBrowning for suggesting you were a n00b. No harm. But don't expect me to play nice in the future when we come up debating each other. I would expect the same from everyone else here.

As for you Fatuitous, you will be smited.

fatuitous
April 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM
You can be mean as you want. Just don't call a person n00b because of something as trivial as puncuation when you haven't read much of anything around here(nor have I).

I don't care if I'm smited as long as I get a few shots to your big ego.

unkcheetah
April 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Deal

fatuitous
April 29th, 2006, 12:08 PM
I don't care if you apologize to him either. Yeah good job, you came you dissed. Just don't get tired when all you have left is a weird looking avatar and a bunch of red blocks on your reputation.

unkcheetah
April 29th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I don't care if you apologize to him either. Yeah good job, you came you dissed. Just don't get tired when all you have left is a weird looking avatar and a bunch of red blocks on your reputation.

I am not here to acquire blocks. Nor do I care much for my reputation score. I came here to sharpen my debating skills. If my style and personality make you feel uncomfortable, simply put me on ignore. My feelings won't be hurt.

fatuitous
April 29th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I can respect and learn from your ideas. But you coming in and call on two good members, whos debating skills you could probably learn from, because of puncuation is idiocy.