PDA

View Full Version : Weird Food. Who Thought To Eat That?

MindTrap028
May 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM
This thread is to find all those weird foods.
1) What are they and why is it strange?
2) What process do they go through?
and
3) Your guess as to how they were discovered.

I will give my example after a few responses.
Now.. Let's dig in.

Slipnish
May 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM
I work with a lady that eats peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches...

I can only surmise that this tidbit was discovered after a severe storm cut off outside contact with the rest of the world and the survivors were on a forced diet of whatever they could find...

paintist
May 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Caviar...

Whose bright idea was it? "Hey this fish just jizzed all over these eggs.. Lets eat em!"

FruitandNut
May 11th, 2006, 11:15 PM
I have heard of a lot of 'wierd' stuff eaten by pregnant ladies - including coal.

I think in some cases it is to do with the body's percieved need for something in the 'food'. In other cases it is attention seeking or bravado; and in other cases it can be either something dysfunctional going on in the person's mind; or else it is a case of ourselves being faced with the norms of a different culture. To eat goanna lizards or witchet(t)y grubs seems wierd to moi, but would seem normal to most Outback Aborigines.

Human beings have reached the pinnacle of the evolutionary tree by being opportunist and NOT too picky about their sources of food. Historically, in the outback of Australia there were no cows or sheep, but there were plenty of lizards and grubs.

tinkerbell
May 12th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Cheeze whiz
Spam
Green mustard

Snoop
May 12th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Chocolate ants and soiled underpants on a bed of exfoliants
topped off with cream of manure served on a skewer
then wash it all down with lizard milk and jelly 'till your all good and smelly
- tastes so good it will tickle your belly!

The wierdest food I ever ate was called elephant ears - it was a pastry. I guess it was discovered by a deaf elephant.

Lucidium
May 12th, 2006, 06:23 AM
I wonder how wine was discovered. I mean, it's hardly something you can do by accident.

"Whoops! I just picked all of these grapes and dropped them in a bucket.
Whoops! I just trampled on them for three hours by accident, oh well. I guess I'll seal them up and forget about it for the better part of a decade. I'm funny like that."

And oysters. How hungry must you have been to be the first person to eat an oyster? They look like a giant lump of snot that someone decided to store in a decorative case.

southernbelle
May 12th, 2006, 06:24 AM
ew, Snoop...just ew.

How about snails? Seriously, who thought..hey, let's eat those little slimy things that eat our garden.?

Rocky Mountain Oysters...for those who don't know what this is..bull's testicles....enough said.

Catfish..these things suck scum off the floor of the ocean...who thought this was appetizing?

Shrimp..now, I do eat shrimp...love them...but, they are SO creepy looking when they're alive..on the same page..

Crabs..I DON"T eat these..they look like giant spiders.

Frogs....ew.

tinkerbell
May 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Pear Salad.

paintist
May 12th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Headcheese.. which isn't even cheese.

Grapenuts. No grapes, no nuts.. and it looks like dirt.

southernbelle
May 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Pear Salad.

:lol:

mrs_innocent
May 12th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I work with a lady that eats peanut butter and mayonaise sandwiches...

I knew someone who ate peanut butter, mayonnaise and banana sandwiches. Ick.

I wonder how wine was discovered. I mean, it's hardly something you can do by accident.

"Whoops! I just picked all of these grapes and dropped them in a bucket.
Whoops! I just trampled on them for three hours by accident, oh well. I guess I'll seal them up and forget about it for the better part of a decade. I'm funny like that."

:lol:

What a great way to describe it!

Though, technically, the same can be said for most alcoholic beverages.

And oysters. How hungry must you have been to be the first person to eat an oyster? They look like a giant lump of snot that someone decided to store in a decorative case.

Eww...Oysters are just terrible.

The wierdest food I ever ate was called elephant ears

Elephant ears are awesome.

Headcheese.. which isn't even cheese.

I like to believe that the people eating this stuff don't actually know what it is.

Off the top of my head, I can't really think of much in the way of weird foods.

There's tako/calamari (octopus/squid)...who the hell looked at either of those things and thought, "Hey, bet that's yummy!" ?

I always used to wonder who the first person was to decide various meats and veggies needed to be covered in cheese to taste okay.

Fugu...poisonous blowfish, eaten raw...it can kill you. I've never heard that it tastes good, either.

Basically, I've really wanted to know why people have felt that darned near anything pulled from water makes a great meal.

Lucidium
May 12th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Fugu...poisonous blowfish, eaten raw...it can kill you. I've never heard that it tastes good, either.
I had fugu once. It was nice, but nothing amazingly special. Pleasantly savoury, with a nice texture. I suppose I'd have it again if I saw it, but I wouldn't go out of my way.

Basically, I've really wanted to know why people have felt that darned near anything pulled from water makes a great meal.

Yeah, what is that about? Especially shellfish. Most of those things just taste like rock pool water to me.

southernbelle
May 12th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Headcheese.. which isn't even cheese 957

as I understand it, hog head cheese..is made when they take a hog head and boil it...then they scrape whatever floats to the top of the water off and wala..hog head cheese. 957 yeah..no thank you.

I knew an older gentlemen who loved peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. He brought one to a church pinic one time to prove to me he actually liked them. Ew.

Snoop
May 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Quote: Originally Posted by mrs_innocent

Yeah, what is that about? Especially shellfish. Most of those things just taste like rock pool water to me.It's not the taste that counts - think of the benefits ... aphrodesiac, fish oil .... I'm not a big seafood fan, but I do prefer fresh water fish to salt water.

mrs_innocent
May 12th, 2006, 01:16 PM
It's not the taste that counts - think of the benefits ... aphrodesiac, fish oil

Nah, I'll still go without. I can't help but think of what the creatures eat before we catch 'em and kill 'em. And then, once we cook 'em, we're eating that too! :wtf:

southernbelle
May 12th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I can't help but think of what the creatures eat before we catch 'em and kill 'em. And then, once we cook 'em, we're eating that too!

see! THAT'S why I don't eat catfish. They're just scavengers. They eat whatever they find on the gulf floor....can I hear an ew?

tinkerbell
May 12th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Catfish...I will give you a YUMMMMMMM

Now I eat at this German Deli, and they have Bloodtounge...It looks like well, Icky.
Ever watched The Ladies man when they have the eat off in the Bar? I get ill watching that.
Although I do love liver and many other foods most people think are uck..

Zhavric
May 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I recently read The Life of Pi. It's an excellent read... it's about a boy who's trapped aboard a life boat... stranded at sea... with a full grown bengal tiger on board.

The kid starts out his journey as a strict vegetarian. During his ordeal, he advances to a point where he is able to put anything in his mouth. I really don't want to go into the gory details of what he eats, but it really is ANYTHING.

Humans have an INCREDIBLE survival instict. If you listen to it, it will save your life... even if it's telling you "open your mouth, insert horrific thing, and see if it will save you from DEATH."

What I want to know is how they figured out which HALF of the blowfish is the delicacy and which half kills you.

Lucidium
May 12th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Nah, I'll still go without. I can't help but think of what the creatures eat before we catch 'em and kill 'em. And then, once we cook 'em, we're eating that too! :wtf:
Actually, I think it's rare to eat the guts of an animal. Especially fish. Aren't they usually pretty bad for us for that very reason?

Snoop
May 12th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Actually, I think it's rare to eat the guts of an animal. Especially fish. Aren't they usually pretty bad for us for that very reason?Don't they make tennis strings out of guts?

mrs_innocent
May 12th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Actually, I think it's rare to eat the guts of an animal. Especially fish. Aren't they usually pretty bad for us for that very reason?

I don't know. With most seafoods, you're probably right. But I do know that lobster, for instance, is steamed and served whole. So is soft-shell crab. And, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure blue crab is as well.

Basically, for as many critters as there are whose innards we don't eat, there's a whole host of others we do. Ick.

southernbelle
May 12th, 2006, 03:07 PM
as for the blowfish thing...I THINK that's it's the actual blowfish that's lethal...something like every 1 in a 100 or something.

I think tennis rackets used to used cat's guts...I'm not sure if that was REALLY cat's guts...or just a word.

FruitandNut
May 12th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Chopped escargot and cream cheese vol-au-vents - yum, yum.

southernbelle - I think the 'cat gut' was actually sheep guts. Sheep guts make very good condoms (Japanese Skins), as unlike rubber it tranfers heat and affords greater feeling of mutual physical 'contact'. Now don't go asking the awkward question, 'just how would a nice Catholic boy know such things!' :bad: :blush:

southernbelle
May 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM
either way...ew

wanxtrmBANNED
May 12th, 2006, 04:37 PM
C Sheep guts make very good condoms (Japanese Skins), as unlike rubber it tranfers heat and affords greater feeling of mutual physical 'contact'. Now don't go asking the awkward question, 'just how would a nice Catholic boy know such things!' :bad: :blush:

Well well fruity i like this new (kind of twisted ) side of you !

Lucidium
May 12th, 2006, 05:05 PM
as for the blowfish thing...I THINK that's it's the actual blowfish that's lethal...something like every 1 in a 100 or something.

Apparently, "the fish contains lethal amounts of the poison tetrodotoxin in the internal organs, especially the liver and the ovaries, but also in the skin and the testicles." (Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugu))

sylouette
May 12th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Pig's feet. bleh!

Nuff said.

MindTrap028
May 12th, 2006, 06:05 PM
How about the Asian delicacy.. the two year egg.. or whatever it is called..
But basically they take an egg.. bury it in crap .. set your timer for two years..and *poof*.. delicacy is surved.

So how did this get discovered..
Son -"Dad!!..Dad!!.. look what I found under the chicken pin"..
Yea.. It's an egg.. but not just any egg.. a really old.. rotten.. blue egg!..
Lets feed it to Bob down the street .. and see what happens."

Dad..."sounds like a great idea.. I never did like Bob anyway"

FruitandNut
May 12th, 2006, 07:52 PM
MindTrap - It is the 'hundred year old egg', which usually is not anything like that age. I saw many of them in Hong Kong markets, but never had the 'bottle' to try them. The Chinese also eat a heck of a lot more 'exotic' stuff including wok fried water beetles - again, seen them but never actually tried them.

PallidaMors
May 13th, 2006, 04:03 AM
One of the best things I EVER ate was pate de fois gras prepared at a swankly little joint in London...I didnt know what it was and couldnt BELIEVE how good it tasted. (I've heard pate de fois gras as being: "One of the nicest things you can do with a bird after being so mean to it") Other things I like:

Peanuts mixed in with cocacola
Elk heart...fresh from an elk i killed 20 minutes prior-that and liver are the only animal guts I feast on...
every kind of sushi and sushimi out there

I've also had the "mustard" out of a freshly steamed maryland blue crab...if you dont know that is I won't explain it, cause it is ucky...(and also cause I really don't know myself!)
Pickled eggs (with tabasco sauce)
Cow tongue
Blood Sausage
Camel Sausage (for breakfast, one of the first days I got into Kuwait)
Pretty much anything that comes out of the ocean I will eat, but i've never tried raw oyesters. Hell, a dab o' tabasco sauce and i'd give 'er a go!

mrs_innocent
May 13th, 2006, 04:11 AM
I've also had the "mustard" out of a freshly steamed maryland blue crab...if you dont know that is I won't explain it, cause it is ucky...(and also cause I really don't know myself!)

PM, I don't think that's a good thing...

Q: What is the yellow stuff inside a cooked crab? Some people call it "mustard." Is it fat?

A: Contrary to popular belief, the "mustard" (or the "green gland" or "tomalley") is not fat, it's actually the crab's hepatopancreas, a main component of the crab's digestive system.

The hepatopancreas is a gland made up of very small branched tubes (ramified tubules) located on both sides of the mid-gut in the main body cavity directly under the top shell and functions as both liver and pancreas. It is involved in producing digestive enzymes and is responsible for filtering impurities from the crab's blood.

The "mustard" has a strong taste and is eaten by many people who consider it a delicacy.

Caution: Research shows that chemical contaminants such as polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), dioxin, mercury, and poison-inhalation hazards (PIHs) accumulate in the crab's fatty tissues and concentrate in the hepatopancreas. The contaminants, which are colorless, odorless and tasteless, and can increase one's chance of developing cancer, neurological impairments and miscarriage. Women of child-bearing age and children under the age of 5 are at particular risk.

Crabs caught in advisory areas may contain high levels of these contaminants. If you catch crabs in these areas, it is highly recommended that you eat no more than six blue crabs per week and do not consume the "mustard" or cooking liquid.

Eating, selling or harvesting blue crabs from the Newark Bay Complex (Newark Bay, Hackensack River, Passaic River, Arthur Kill and Kill Van Kull, and all tributaries to these waterbodies) is prohibited!

In Maryland, blue crabs were sampled in several areas back in 1994-95, including the Chester, Bush and Gunpowder Rivers, Baltimore Harbor, Colgate Creek, Ft. Armistead, Old Road Bay, and Curtis Bay, and the Patapsco River. With the exception of the Middle and Northwest Branches of the Patapsco River, blue crabs were found to be generally low in contaminants. However, "generally low" is not the same as zero. When it comes to your health, it is strongly recommend that you avoid the "mustard".

Well...you lived...

PallidaMors
May 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM
PM, I don't think that's a good thing...

Well...you lived...
You mean.....I should be dead right now? But i'm not...which can only mean one thing....I must have Wolvie-style super-healing! Sweet!

fatuitous
May 13th, 2006, 01:52 PM
In Thailand they have ant egg soup. It sounds icky to me but my mom said it wasn't too bad.

FruitandNut
May 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM
PM - If by 'blood sausage' you mean 'black pudding', it is delicious if highly calorific with bacon and fried bread. Yum, yum indeed.

fatuitous
May 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM
calorific

Best. Word. Ever.

Anyway, from Fruits description of 'blood sausage' it doesn't very weird, just yummy.

southernbelle
May 13th, 2006, 09:33 PM
um, fati..my sweet..have you heardhim describe what exactly blood sausage is? Disgusting describes it pretty well after Fruity's description.

FruitandNut
May 13th, 2006, 10:29 PM
In praise and description of the 'black pudding':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

If you want a full heavenly Grease experience, don't go to your local picturehouse, come to the UK and try a yum, yum, yummy full English brekky:
http://www.heretical.com/British/grease.html

When they dig you up in hundreds of years time, they will find you heart and arteries purring happily; totally embalmed in the most delicious of fats and grease.

ps. Just how the hell recent surveys have found the population in the UK to be healthier by a clear margin than you guys in the States, well God only knows. Perhaps we are better genetically programmed to cope with delicious stodge!

Noun: stodge - heavy filling (and usually starchy - or greasy) food

If you really want to hear your heart scream out :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Then patronise the fish and chip shops in the North of England and in Scotland and try out battered deep fried (in lard) Mars Bars and Snickers, perhaps with deep fried battered frogs legs as a starter.

southernbelle
May 13th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I love this quote from the article, Fruity...

(For foreign readers: black pudding is a recipe of pig's blood, sheep's brains and goat's bollocks, with a dash of eye of newt and wing of bat, all rolled into a burger-type format. It is absolutely vile, but everyone pretends they love it for some odd reason.)

FruitandNut
May 13th, 2006, 10:54 PM
The Great British 'black pudding' is a real epicurian delight to the taste buds - NO BOLLOCKS about it.

PallidaMors
May 14th, 2006, 02:22 AM
In praise and description of the 'black pudding':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_pudding

If you want a full heavenly Grease experience, don't go to your local picturehouse, come to the UK and try a yum, yum, yummy full English brekky:
http://www.heretical.com/British/grease.html

When they dig you up in hundreds of years time, they will find you heart and arteries purring happily; totally embalmed in the most delicious of fats and grease.

ps. Just how the hell recent surveys have found the population in the UK to be healthier by a clear margin than you guys in the States, well God only knows. Perhaps we are better genetically programmed to cope with delicious stodge!

Noun: stodge - heavy filling (and usually starchy - or greasy) food

If you really want to hear your heart scream out :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
Then patronise the fish and chip shops in the North of England and in Scotland and try out battered deep fried (in lard) Mars Bars and Snickers, perhaps with deep fried battered frogs legs as a starter.

Aye, Fruity knows the good stuff...whilst in England I had the pleasure of a huge English "fry up"....my heart never knew what hit it.

Also- Fruity, did you know that the official song of the French Foreign Legion is "Le Boudin" (The Blood Sausage)...Legionnaires sing the song as an Englishman might sing God Save the King (Queen)...and it literally is a song about...a blood sausage. but you will see them getting misty-eyed and singing it as though their life depended on the passion with which they sang it...

Legionnaires are an odd bunch anyway...their most revered object...hands down (no pun intended) is The Hand of Captain Danjou...wiki it sometime when you get bored...

Pibs
May 14th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Living in Borneo I've had the fun of all sorts of weird crap you'd normally only see someone eating on the Fear Factor show.

BTW, those big fat grubs are nutty and not too bad but nearly threw up trying one alive - can stomach em fried but when a live grub bursts in your mouth every instinct is "hurl. Hurl now."

Fruity and I have mentioned in on this forum before but there is a fruit here in Borneo that many locals consider a great delicacy. Well you can't go wrong with a fruit, right? Yes you can, the dreaded 'durian'.

About the size of a grapefruit, with a creamy whitish center, I can, via the technology of the internet, show you exactly what they smell like. Go to the loo, produce a big dump, turn around and stick your nose in the bowel.

There ya go, you can smell durian.

They aint rare either, at the height of the season it's hard to find anywhere that doesn't have a pile of these stinking fruit for sale. As I mentioned awhile ago, on a TV prog about the weird foods of Asia, the guy trying the foods said he couldn't believe the one thing he just could not stomach was a fruit...

Generally I've tried a whole bunch of wierd things here, fried bats etc but my main aversion is durian followed by something else considered really great but I hate - rotting prawn paste.

Balacang or something they call it. They literally grind raw prawns into a paste them leave it to rot for awhile. Can't recall if they do anything to it afterwards but it doesn't smell like it.

On a more practical level my biggest problem is ensuring whatever I eat isn't too spicey, for some of the stuff here burns the fork let alone your mouth. They have normal chillies, hot chillies, very hot chillies and these little tiny things that explode upon contact with tastebuds...

Before you go thinking I have an exotic diet every day, tonight I had a McDonalds :)

P.
<br><i><font color="red">The below text has been automerged with this post.</i></font><br>
BTW, my Asian wife who like both durian and balacang thinks black pudding is horrid - but then she's never tasted it, as it's pig's blood.

Black pudding is actually very nice, though is meant to be eaten as a very small portion on the plate, rather like a dollop of crumbly sauce. You don't just spoon it into your mouth as a food by itself.

P.

Lucidium
May 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Oh man, durian. Those things are evil. Dangerous too. They grow up to something like a foot and a half in length, don't they? Imagine that falling on your head.

We have one around here very occasionally, and while it doensn't taste quite as bad as it smells, I still think it's like eating essence-of-rotting-flesh.