PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Film Club?

Apokalupsis
April 29th, 2004, 08:46 AM
The Book Club has caught on pretty well and I'm suspecting it will grow even more successful over time.

So it led me to think of the next step. Is there an interest in forming a film club? It would be more than just telling us what your fav movie was, best scene, what movie sux, etc...

A list of movies would be submitted by those in the club for all to watch. These movies would 1) have not been seen by most, 2) have social, theological, political interest or influence that could be discussed. These would probably be movies that most people wouldn't think to watch, in hopes to expand their horizons and consider new film genres that are typically outside of our preference. This could also include *gasp* foreign film.

The details are not worked out yet as I want to see how much of an interest there is first. If you are intersted, and have ideas for it, please post 'em here. Like the book club, there would be a dedicated forum, usergroup and icon to identify the member as a part of the club.

sjjs
April 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a good idea; I'd be pleased to see a good time lapse between the time when we choose the film and when we start to talk about it.

Iluvatar
April 29th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I'll join, but there's no way I have the time to start it.

KneeLess
April 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM
This could get me started into actually liking movies. I must just see all the bad ones, unlucky maybe.

KevinBrowning
April 29th, 2004, 12:04 PM
The Book Club has caught on pretty well and I'm suspecting it will grow even more successful over time.

So it led me to think of the next step. Is there an interest in forming a film club? It would be more than just telling us what your fav movie was, best scene, what movie sux, etc...

A list of movies would be submitted by those in the club for all to watch. These movies would 1) have not been seen by most, 2) have social, theological, political interest or influence that could be discussed. These would probably be movies that most people wouldn't think to watch, in hopes to expand their horizons and consider new film genres that are typically outside of our preference. This could also include *gasp* foreign film.

The details are not worked out yet as I want to see how much of an interest there is first. If you are intersted, and have ideas for it, please post 'em here. Like the book club, there would be a dedicated forum, usergroup and icon to identify the member as a part of the club.
I like it.

Apokalupsis
May 6th, 2004, 09:09 AM
We can beta test this feature. I think there is enough interest. But first, we need to come up w/ a few ground rules together.

I see 2 categories to work on.

1) Rules/Procedures of Film Club (how much time is allowable for someone to watch the film then join the discussion? How does a movie get selected? What sort of movies are to be watched? etc...)

2) Discussion topics/questions of the film watched. We should have a list of ready questions or guidelines for discussion. This list should be used as a guideline only, and can be modified at any time as needed dependent upon the movie. Do we discuss the actual "art" of the film-making? Acting/production/direction, etc...? Obviously we can discuss the social inferences or ramifications if the film has them.

It isn't necessary that every film have a "meaning". Some films could just be for fun. But if so, there should be things that we could discuss or even debate that pertain to that film...else...there is no need in having it be watched as part of a Film Club.

Also, one idea, is to have a "theme" for a week or two. That is, watching "like" movies for an overall discussion. Private Ryan vs Thin Red Line for example. Or a week of Spielberg. There are a lot of possibilities here that should make this fun.

Also, the club can be used to see movies that one wouldn't ordinarily view. I'm not a big fan of old b&w movies, nor am I fan of foreign films. But this would give me the "excuse" to check 'em out. ;)

In short, I'm willing to give it a go...but we need more structure. And your ideas help with forming this structure. The sooner we can get some guidelines and procedures up, the sooner we'll start the first movie of the club.

sjjs
May 6th, 2004, 10:43 AM
One potential problem I see is that the video shops tend to stock mainstream dross or crap. Or both.

I love the idea of a film club I'm just worried it might end up relying on too mainstream a set of films.

Apokalupsis
May 6th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Well, we'll work with what we have. One good source is: www.netflix.com. But its' all DVD. Everything possible on DVD (including documentaries...which may be interesting to discuss) is available. A couple of us already use Netflix.

*edit*
Just realized, that this is probably only for U.S.

TwentyOne
May 14th, 2004, 09:12 PM
I'm definitely interested in joining.

Razor-Tongue
May 14th, 2004, 09:47 PM
I'd join, as long as we got to see something mindless every once and a while, then discuss it as though it actually had some point to existing. Those movies are the best.

Andacanavar
May 15th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Agreed, RT.. :D

All I ask is we don't discuss too many movies that are older then Cyberclown and obscure, and I'm all over it.

J/K, CC.. ;)

Spartacus
May 17th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I am interested...May I suggest some titles that everyone should be able to find at their local video store...

Dr. Strangelove
Get Shorty
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
Steel Magnolias
Hairspray
Being There
Phenominon
Big Fish
Three Stooges
The Straight Story
Radio

Slipnish
May 17th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Donnie Darko

Weird enough to be interesting...

walt1427
May 25th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I'D JOIN!!!! How long will it take to start it. Are we only going to discuss films on DVD or VHS or be able to discuss films playing at the cinema.

KevinBrowning
May 25th, 2004, 09:37 PM
I'D JOIN!!!! How long will it take to start it. Are we only going to discuss films on DVD or VHS or be able to discuss films playing at the cinema.
I do not see why we could not also discuss films currently in theaters. There might occasionally be a conflict with foreign theaters releasing films later or earlier than the United States, though.

Shadow Fury
May 25th, 2004, 09:41 PM
i would like to join too, sounds interesting...

Apokalupsis
May 26th, 2004, 06:50 AM
DVD & VHS only at this time. Current releases may be added later down the road. We are currently creating the format of this club and hope to go live with it w/i a couple weeks.

KevinBrowning
May 26th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Well, we'll work with what we have. One good source is: www.netflix.com (http://www.netflix.com). But its' all DVD. Everything possible on DVD (including documentaries...which may be interesting to discuss) is available. A couple of us already use Netflix.

*edit*
Just realized, that this is probably only for U.S.
Sounds very convenient. I am eager to begin. Documentaries sound like a good genre of film for this community to discuss. Maybe we can start off with some of Michael Moore's rubbish. That would be conducive to debate.

Fyshhed
August 4th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Maybe we can start off with some of Michael Moore's rubbish. That would be conducive to debate.
/insert modern perspective
:p

KneeLess
August 4th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Sounds very convenient. I am eager to begin. Documentaries sound like a good genre of film for this community to discuss. Maybe we can start off with some of Michael Moore's rubbish. That would be conducive to debate.
That would get us nowhere. Plus I would hope that no one would argue that that movie was 100% truth, because as we all know it isn't.

KevinBrowning
August 5th, 2004, 11:11 PM
That would get us nowhere. Plus I would hope that no one would argue that that movie was 100% truth, because as we all know it isn't.

Which movie, F-9/11?

KneeLess
August 6th, 2004, 07:35 PM
Which movie, F-9/11?
Yeah, I just don't think I'd like to discuss that movie at all. It would be bad.

TwentyOne
September 30th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Is this film club ever going to happen, because it's been months since it's been addressed or anything.

mrs_innocent
October 18th, 2004, 01:18 PM
*Bump*

If you're interested in the Film Club, please post here so that I can get an idea of how many members are TRULY interested.

Thanks! :)

KevinBrowning
October 18th, 2004, 02:17 PM
*Bump*

If you're interested in the Film Club, please post here so that I can get an idea of how many members are TRULY interested.

Thanks! :)

Yep. I'm interested. Have been for a while now.

KneeLess
October 18th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Yo.

TwentyOne
October 20th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Definitely.

Andacanavar
October 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
I still help run it.. NO prob here..

TwentyOne
November 2nd, 2004, 06:00 PM
So how about we get this club going?

mrs_innocent
November 2nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
I'm on it, slow startin' for me right now. I'm a little busy right now, and trying to get through all the Film Club discussion from months ago before I really get it going. Hopefully by the end of next week... Sorry, guys, but I really *am* working on it. :(

TwentyOne
December 14th, 2004, 06:07 PM
I don't believe you.

KevinBrowning
December 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I don't believe you.

Haha, neither do I.

TwentyOne
January 19th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Seriously though, it's been like 3 months, what's going on?

Apokalupsis
January 19th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Problem is, we want the club to be more than just a forum that has a discussion about movies. We've discussed it behind closed doors quite a bit and are having difficulty coming up with a solid plan to implement a formal policy. We've talked about just having a queue of movies to draw from (that originally would be provided by members) and would be scheduled on certain days of the month.

If there are ideas or suggestions that you have, or even things that you want...let us know. This should be more of a community club than anything else IMO.

SouthernDem
January 19th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I say that Red Corner with Richard Geere should be on the list, its jsut like Godzilla....Only there is a lawyer instead of Godzilla....And he's in jail instead of trying to destroy Tokyo...oh, and its in Bejing, not even in Japan...Maybe its not as like Godzilla as I thought...