PDA

View Full Version : Auto-combining posts

Zhavric
February 20th, 2007, 07:14 AM
What are the merits of auto-combining replies to posts? I dislike this feature. Many of us rebut posts paragraph by paragraph. It's hard enough to jump into a discussion where two debators are attacking one another's every word. Seeing several such posts strung together is hard on the eyes at best and downright confusing at worst.

I suggest we go back to one reply = one post.

Your thoughts?

NOTE: If for technical reasons one reply = one post is not an option, please disregard or delete this thread.

Apokalupsis
February 20th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I'm open to disabling it. Let the people speak...

People...what say you? Like or Dislike the auto-merge feature?

Snoop
February 20th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I like auto merge. Leave it be I say.

MrFungus420
February 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I agree with Zhav.

Especially when there are multiple people presenting different points of an argument.

Dump it...

Dionysus
February 20th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Added a poll

Trendem
February 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I don't mind it. The red text serves as a pretty good divider and I am usually able to see which person the poster is responding to. The only reason why I wouldn't be able to would be if the poster didn't bother typing in the name of the person he was quoting.

ladyphoenix
February 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I like it.

Zhavric
February 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM
I'm open to disabling it. Let the people speak...

People...what say you? Like or Dislike the auto-merge feature?

Good to hear. You know my stance.
<br><i><font color="red">The below text has been automerged with this post.</i></font><br>

I like auto merge. Leave it be I say.

Really? You like posts that look like this one?
<br><i><font color="red">The below text has been automerged with this post.</i></font><br>

I agree with Zhav.

Especially when there are multiple people presenting different points of an argument.

Dump it...

Woot!

The red text serves as a pretty good divider and I am usually able to see which person the poster is responding to.

I recommend you re-examine this stance.

I like it.

Now, obviously this is hyperbole and deliberate.

Let me ask this question to folks: Is there anyone who NEEDS there to be autolinking? Everyone can get by without it, right?

I was under the impression the only reason we had it was for some technical reason. (I didn't expect Apok's reply).

sylouette
February 21st, 2007, 04:52 PM
I could do with or without it. However, I do agree the red automerge messages do seem to be an annoyance.

I wouldn't have any qualms about getting rid of it....but keep the multipost option...I love that feature.

Mr. Hyde
February 21st, 2007, 05:13 PM
I like it. Aside from dividing posts, and making it more clear who is responding to whom, it also, I'd imagine, serves as a space saver for the forum in that in any given debate, it allows for more posts per page without actually allowing more posts. Like having a box that's 1 foot square and can fit an elephant in it.

Slipnish
February 21st, 2007, 05:49 PM
I don't like it. I hate having a post I write to an individual sucked into a lengthy reply for someone else...

Apokalupsis
February 21st, 2007, 06:51 PM
I can also just reformat the text/divider between posts to anything we want. Instead of the red auto-merge announcement, it could be something like...

<---------------------------------------- Post Merged -------------------------------------->

Or anything else we wanted.

Some other options...

<---------------------------------------- Post Merged -------------------------------------->

____________________________________ <sub>Post Merged</sub> ____________________________________

********* Post Merged ************

[[[[[[ Post Merged ]]]]]]

KevinBrowning
February 21st, 2007, 08:35 PM
Being indifferent, my position defaults to the opposite of this particular thread starter.

MrFungus420
February 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Being indifferent, my position defaults to the opposite of this particular thread starter.

So, you don't care about the poll, you just voted to be spiteful. Furthermore, since there is an option for "indifferent", that also means that your vote is a lie.

Could you act more childish?

KevinBrowning
February 21st, 2007, 11:11 PM
So, you don't care about the poll, you just voted to be spiteful. Furthermore, since there is an option for "indifferent", that also means that your vote is a lie.

Could you act more childish?

Children generally have a sense of humor, which is a good thing.

Zhavric
February 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM

Kevin's just not plugged in correctly.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/49yOsCm7Agw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/49yOsCm7Agw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Remember, threads like this are SERIOUS BUSINESS.