PDA

View Full Version : How is everyone today?

Enigma
February 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
I'm doing quite well! :coolsmiley:

Dr. Gonzo gave me the link here, just popping in to say hi.

Dr. Gonzo
February 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Good to see you came over...

I can just hear the statists of this forum groaning over the prospect of "another one of those damn libertarians."

So long as you remain consistent in your defense or private property, free markets, and human liberty, then you should piss off enough people to give you a lot of satisfaction.

Enigma
February 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Heh. My goal is never to piss off other people. I just want real freedom. I find it odd that this does indeed render a great deal of people very angry. Not surprising though. :grin:

Dr. Gonzo
February 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
I know that generally Canadians tend to be very socially liberal...especially the ones on this forum. Do you agree with that?

Enigma
February 24th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure. I never truly pay attention to where someone lives. It's not truly revelent to their beliefs and virtues, which is what I pay attention to.

Dr. Gonzo
February 24th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure. I never truly pay attention to where someone lives. It's not truly revelent to their beliefs and virtues, which is what I pay attention to.
Well...don't you think that one of the best ways of understanding the history of thought is to understand where different ideas and philosophies originated from?

How come it was America who was the home to the first classical liberal (read: libertarian) revolution in the world? Understanding the history of how classical liberal philosophers from England and France especially affected the American Revolutionaries is important.

We have to pay attention to where people live because it gives us an understanding of how they are likely to think. Now, this doesn't mean we should be prejudiced and sterotypical...but it is important to note why free markets and capitalism developed in Western Europe before anywhere else in the world.

Americans on the whole tend to be much more free market and antitax than any other people. Why? Because it is a part of who we are as a people. It is a part of our Constitution...our Declaration of Independence and the heritage of our founding generation.

Now sure there are communists in America. But oddballs like Nancy Pelosi are much more odd in this country than in somewhere like Venezuela.

Enigma
February 24th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I don't care much for history. I care about the present moment and the future that lies ahead of us. You could say that knowing the past helps, which is probably true; but I'm not interested in it enough to care. I know a sharp wit and common sense are enough to derive logical conclusions on such things.

I judge upon someones beliefs. If they happen to live somewhere were many historical events took place, well it does not mean much. Many Americans don't care about liberal views. You'd be surprised how many I think; America was founded upon the ideaology of freedom and independance. Yet, look at it now...it got that way largely because the people did not care enough to step up and defend their rights.

GoldPhoenix
February 24th, 2007, 01:39 PM
I don't care much for history. I care about the present moment and the future that lies ahead of us. You could say that knowing the past helps, which is probably true; but I'm not interested in it enough to care. I know a sharp wit and common sense are enough to derive logical conclusions on such things.

Ah, but as Madison said while creating the constitution: "It is difficult, history gives us becons to warn against, but no becon to go towards."

History provides us with insight into the minds of ideas ancient and new, to see where they came from, why they might work or fail, and if they have worked or failed.

It is the reason I am a moderate libertarian (with liberal leanings).

Enigma
February 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I prefer to make my own history. Do you believe one is incapable of making smart choices without knowing much about history? You could say they are good guidelines to which I would agree in respect; however I do think history is overrated for the most part.

GoldPhoenix
February 24th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I wouldn't. A lot of ideas sound really good on paper but suck in practise.

sylouette
February 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Enigma, instead of bringing up these questions in the Community Forum...how about starting a few debates. That would be a good start here. ;)

Welcome to ODN.

starcreator
February 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Where in Canada do you live?

Enigma
February 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Hehe, I got carried away.

I love in montreal.

Dr. Gonzo
February 25th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I've been to Montreal a couple of times...it's one of my favorite cities in the world.

Enigma
February 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The city itself is nice, but I dislike the french language a lot. I want to move to a location with a population that speaks english instead. I don't feel very comfortable speaking in french.

KnaettheGreat
March 1st, 2007, 09:25 AM
Pretty sure I just bombed my Sociology test...

KevinBrowning
May 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
Welcome.