PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Goodbye

Iluvatar
March 22nd, 2007, 04:53 AM
I've never really posted a complete biography of myself here, so I thought on my way out might be a good time to do so.

<hr>

My name is Iluvatar, some people call me Kevin. I'm 19, I live in Rochester, New York, and I go to the Rochester Institute of Technology. I'm a freshmen studying Software Engineering. I'm reasonably proficient in Java and RealBasic (and to a lesser extent, VisualBasic).

I've had a job since I was 12. I grew up around horses. Hilton (where I grew up) is a small town.

I was always considered the argumentative one in any situation. I was frustrated, because most people I knew disliked debating, and thought that it was an indication of a problem if two people couldn't agree on something.

When I was 16, I stopped suspending my disbelief in god, and went searching for other people's viewpoints regarding the issue. A small town is a poor place to find interesting views, so I turned to the net. Among other things, I found DF.net, where I registered and debated for a month or two. Near the end of 2003 / beginning of 2004, I found ODN. I knew Apok from DF.net, and I respected his debating skill. ODN was only a few months old, but it looked like it had potential, so I registered and debated for a bit.

Shortly after registering, I noticed that there was an opening for a staff position here. I opened up a PM window, and typed up a request to fill this position. While I was typing, Apok had sent me a PM offering the position, so we decided it was fate. I took the position as one of 3 mods (DudeShibby/RTShatto, myself, and Eva). After a time, Eva left, and much later, so did RT. I became an Admin at some point since, and have been trying to live up to the status.

During that time, I went to highschool, worked a 20 to 25 hour a week, and tried to keep up with ODN.

This September I enrolled in RIT, and shortly thereafter got a job working for the RIT ITS. Since then, I've had little to no time to spend on ODN. I was hoping that, as time went on, I'd be able to be more involved here, but it hasn't been the case. I haven't been active her for 6, maybe 7 weeks. Furthermore, there's no indication that this will change anytime soon. For that reason, I'm retiring. I'm not "quitting" in the drug-analogous sense, so I might pop in from time to time, and maybe return at some undetermined point in the future. However, for the most part, this is goodbye, ODN.

Dionysus
March 22nd, 2007, 05:30 AM
Damn Iluvatar. We hardly knew ye. Take care my brother.

Slipnish
March 22nd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Peace on ya, bro.

HappyLady
March 22nd, 2007, 06:47 AM
I knew there was a reason I felt like I needed to stop by ODN today. I like your term "retiring". That does sound so much less fatal than well..."dying"...lol.

Take care, Iluv. I know I haven't been around much, but you were one of the first people I met here years ago and I miss ya! :smitten:

FruitandNut
March 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Iluvatar - I wish you all that you could possibly wish yourself, and I suspect a 'tad' more!

sylouette
March 22nd, 2007, 01:38 PM
Goodluck Iluv. We'll miss you and look forward to your stopping in. I'm sure Hyde will regret not have been able to say goodbye to you because I know he always talked highly of you (especially with your writing skills).

Don't be too much of a stranger. See ya around. :kiss:

wanxtrmBANNED
March 22nd, 2007, 02:46 PM
I've never really posted a complete biography of myself here, so I thought on my way out might be a good time to do so.

<hr>

My name is Iluvatar, some people call me Kevin. I'm 19, I live in Rochester, New York, and I go to the Rochester Institute of Technology. I'm a freshmen studying Software Engineering. I'm reasonably proficient in Java and RealBasic (and to a lesser extent, VisualBasic).

I've had a job since I was 12. I grew up around horses. Hilton (where I grew up) is a small town.

I was always considered the argumentative one in any situation. I was frustrated, because most people I knew disliked debating, and thought that it was an indication of a problem if two people couldn't agree on something.

When I was 16, I stopped suspending my disbelief in god, and went searching for other people's viewpoints regarding the issue. A small town is a poor place to find interesting views, so I turned to the net. Among other things, I found DF.net, where I registered and debated for a month or two. Near the end of 2003 / beginning of 2004, I found ODN. I knew Apok from DF.net, and I respected his debating skill. ODN was only a few months old, but it looked like it had potential, so I registered and debated for a bit.

Shortly after registering, I noticed that there was an opening for a staff position here. I opened up a PM window, and typed up a request to fill this position. While I was typing, Apok had sent me a PM offering the position, so we decided it was fate. I took the position as one of 3 mods (DudeShibby/RTShatto, myself, and Eva). After a time, Eva left, and much later, so did RT. I became an Admin at some point since, and have been trying to live up to the status.

During that time, I went to highschool, worked a 20 to 25 hour a week, and tried to keep up with ODN.

This September I enrolled in RIT, and shortly thereafter got a job working for the RIT ITS. Since then, I've had little to no time to spend on ODN. I was hoping that, as time went on, I'd be able to be more involved here, but it hasn't been the case. I haven't been active her for 6, maybe 7 weeks. Furthermore, there's no indication that this will change anytime soon. For that reason, I'm retiring. I'm not "quitting" in the drug-analogous sense, so I might pop in from time to time, and maybe return at some undetermined point in the future. However, for the most part, this is goodbye, ODN.

You will be sorely missed, however this is for your best. As such who are we to keep you? :afro: :afro:

Apokalupsis
March 22nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Good luck Illy, you'll be missed. One of the best staffers ODN has had. ;)

sylouette
March 22nd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Good luck Illy, you'll be missed. One of the best staffers ODN has had. ;)

NOTE: He used the term "one of the best".

He would be referring to ME as the "other one" :grin:

He won't admit that in public but he's told me that. MHM.

KevinBrowning
May 3rd, 2007, 11:06 PM
Thought you were older. Nice name, by the way. See you around.

Squatch347
May 4th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Glad to hear you aren't going to the "Halls of Mandos" (geek check) take care, and have fun in college, its a blast!

Mr. Hyde
May 4th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Holy **** I'm late in replying.

Sorry to see you go, man. You will be missed.