Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the Online Debate Network.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Your ex-Christian relative teaches their kids an anti Christian Religion

If your a devote Christian and someone in your family (brother, sister, mother, uncle, whatever) suddenly changed their religion to something that does not believe in the Christian god and they started raising their young kids with their new beliefs. Would you intervene and if so how far would you go?

ODN Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your ex-Christian relative teaches their kids an anti Christian Religion

I think the answers that people give to this question, if they do answer it, are going to be very telling...

Interesting topic.
    "And that, my lord, is how we know the Earth to be banana-shaped." ~ Monty Python

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    If your a devote Christian and someone in your family (brother, sister, mother, uncle, whatever) suddenly changed their religion to something that does not believe in the Christian god and they started raising their young kids with their new beliefs. Would you intervene and if so how far would you go?
    I have family members who are atheists. They are good peeps, they are family, I love 'em.

But they should raise their children as they see fit. They are responsible for their child's upbringing. As an uncle of those children, I have no right whatsoever to intervene. Nor does my family have a right to intervene in how I raise my children.

This doesn't mean that when we are together I "hide" my beliefs. I won't act differently around them, I won't stop saying prayers before meals when they are visiting. But I won't take them aside and say "Hey kid, your parents are wrong, I have the truth, light and the way."

This isn't a particular religion thing as much as it is following the appropriate role as a family member thing.
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I agree with Apok. It's not my place to tell family members how to raise their children.
    -= Phrique =-

I've got mad hits like I was Rod Carew.
    - The Beastie Boys

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Same as Apok and phrique said.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin.
    Emitte lucem et veritatem - Send out light and truth.
    'Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt' - Julius Caesar (rough translation, 'Men will think what they want to think')
    Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream? - Homer Simpson.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you sensible folk have a talk with my aunt, please? =)
    Skepticism need not equal cynicism.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting... What about if your own child (that you are still legally responsible for because they are under 18) changed to a non-christian religion?

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the religion, if my son changed to Budhism or something non-destructive thats his choice. If he changed to some kind of wahhabi version of Islam, I would have to step in.
    "Suffering lies not with inequality, but with dependence." -Voltaire
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    Depends on the religion, if my son changed to Budhism or something non-destructive thats his choice. If he changed to some kind of wahhabi version of Islam, I would have to step in.
    But wouldn't you fear that he would not go to heaven since he has rejected the salvation that Jesus provided?

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

I would, but I can't force someone to believe, it means nothing then, all I can do is be a good example (as is true for everyone), as long as the religion isn't self destructive, he will find his way. Besides, if I come in and crush his attempts at exploration, two things will happen, he will resent it (and be further pushed away), and I show a profound lack of faith in God. Plus the whole free will thing from other threads ;-)
    "Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions. -G.K. Chesterton
    Also, if you think I've overlooked your post please shoot me a PM, I'm not intentionally ignoring you.

Will ADMIN 4 Gas Money

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, like Squatch said, as long as it's not something self-destructive (or outwardly destructive) there's not much you can do. I'll raise my little girl Christian, but if, down the road, she decides it's not for her that's her choice.

If you truly believe the Christian teaching that God gave us all free will, then how can we honestly not allow our children that very right?
    -= Phrique =-

I've got mad hits like I was Rod Carew.
    - The Beastie Boys

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

you would only try to stop them taking an destructive religion, how can you get any more damaging to oneself than damning your eternal soul?

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

to eternal torment I might add
    Last edited by eliotitus; June 7th, 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

But how could you change it? You can't force your child to believe something elio.

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
    I have family members who are atheists. They are good peeps, they are family, I love 'em.

But they should raise their children as they see fit. They are responsible for their child's upbringing. As an uncle of those children, I have no right whatsoever to intervene. Nor does my family have a right to intervene in how I raise my children.

This doesn't mean that when we are together I "hide" my beliefs. I won't act differently around them, I won't stop saying prayers before meals when they are visiting. But I won't take them aside and say "Hey kid, your parents are wrong, I have the truth, light and the way."

This isn't a particular religion thing as much as it is following the appropriate role as a family member thing.
    So, do you think that your staying out of their family affairs justifies their going to hell, should something happen to them?
    [CENTER]-=] Starcreator [=-

Owner / Senior Admin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by daman View Post
    Interesting... What about if your own child (that you are still legally responsible for because they are under 18) changed to a non-christian religion?
    It's not something I'd be particularly "happy" about. I know we'd have quite a few discussions on religion and world view, but they certainly wouldn't be disowned and I wouldn't attempt to force them to believe something that they opposed or objected to. I'd encourage through reason and dialog.

_________________________________ Post Merged _________________________________

Quote Originally Posted by starcreator View Post
    So, do you think that your staying out of their family affairs justifies their going to hell, should something happen to them?
    I can only do as the many people described in the Bible did...encourage, teach, set an example and pray. In the end, it's their decision and I have to respect that. I can hope for the best, but I can't force them to it.

It's the whole leading horse to water thingy.
    Last edited by Apokalupsis; June 7th, 2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -=]Apokalupsis[=-
    Senior Administrator
    -------------------------

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. - Thomas Jefferson

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch347 View Post
    But how could you change it? You can't force your child to believe something elio.
    But surely their are ways other than FORCING it down their throat which is no doubt what you assume I mean. What I in fact mean is should they convert surely you would do SOMETHING. Whatever you think at the time is most likely to bring them permanently back to the religion, whether that is subtle or blatant.
    -=]Eliotitus[=-
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future"- Oscar Wilde

Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

All that you can really do (depending on the child's age) is be a good example.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my younger cousins who I held and played with as a baby and love a lot, although I don't see her much, is being raised by non-Christians. Her mom was raised Christian but now isn't, and her dad is Jewish. The way I see it, considering the tremendous influence parents have on children, and the fact that she's still so young (10-12 I think), the rare times I see her, all I can do is try and show her Christ-like behavior. Now, when she's older, I will definitely try and talk to her about God at some point.

But to be honest, it's irrelevant that we're biologically related. What about non-relatives I see more than her who aren't believers? Christ said to consider our true family to be fellow believers, and to try and help all people we encounter to join that family.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't know if this is entirely relevant, but I was raised in a "split" family.

My mother was Catholic, whereas my father was atheist, and so were their respective families. Whenever I was with my mothers parents I had to say grace, go to church on sundays etc etc. However at home, this was not necessary, yet i did go to a Catholic primary and secondary school.

My father never actively tried to turn us away from our religion, though he did make it clear that he didnt believe if the topic came up. I was quite a devout believer until around 4 years ago, when I started to question my religion. This was a personal development, and one which I believe was sparked by the somewhat illogical nature of the "religious education" classes at high school as opposed to the interverance of my father.

What I am trying to demonstrate is that when it comes down to it, for most people it will be a personal choice whether they truly believe in a religion or whether they don't. The influences of others will always have to be weighed against your own judgements as an individual.

StOrMeR
    Politics and the fate of mankind are formed by men without ideals and without greatness. Those who have greatness within them do not go in for politics- Albert Camus

I say violence is necessary, it is about as American as cherry pie- Rap Brown

ODN Community Regular

Post Thanks / Like

Their kid, they get to raise him. I'd be open to talk to him about religion, but his parents are responsible for raising him, not me.
    If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe. - Soren Kierkegaard
    **** you, I won't do what you tell me

HOLY CRAP MY BLOG IS AWESOME